You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pensions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by SeanyL SeanyL wrote:

Originally posted by engpad engpad wrote:

Which type of fund would you recommend for a low cost US index? 

I've regularly contributed to a Vanguard S&P 500 ETF 

What app do you use to invest? Problem i find is most apps are not really cost effective for investing say €50 a month once transaction fees are applied.
I know Revolut is cheap but they only do S&P 500 stocks.

Lots of free trading apps nowadays - etoro, Trading 212 etc which you can do it through with no charges
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Not pension related but do have a monthly SO set up to a separate account for the kids. As much to help with college when it comes around than anything else. Just a normal savings account, earns fook all interest or that. Are there better things i should be putting it into instead? Wont need to be touched for 10-12 more years
you could look at 10 year state bond if you have a bit of a lump sum built up, thats what I did. Have another lump ready to go as well and ill put that into a 5 year satate savings cert so both will have matured around the end of secondary school. 

Just had a quick look at them...the 10yr returns €160 for every €1000 over the ten years.id guess most people will just throw what they have spare into that (could be the children’s allowance etc) so say 250 a mth is €3000 a year over ten years is €30000 or €34800 with the return....that’s along time to be waiting for €5000 return...is there anything that would give a bigger return over that time??

With inflation you are probably not getting any return on that investment but it’s zero risk.

The more risk you take on the higher the possible return.

You could buy corporate bond index and earn more.
You could buy equity index and earn more.

If you have a long term horizon you should be buying low cost US equity index fund. The average returns are 10% on an annual basis. Some years this will be down 20% and others up 40% but over the long term the average growth is around 10%
The best strategy is put in small amounts on a monthly basis so you are not trying to time the market. The longer you are in the market the better. 

If you are saving for young kids this is a really good strategy. 
They will be owning a tiny % of Apple / Google / Amazon / Visa / Nike / AirBnB etc   Every time you spend on one of these you know it’s going into one of your companies. 

I know for most people this sounds complex but it’s not really.
Your bank should have this service available or others like aviva also offer this service.
They will try to push a global equity index on you as this is more safe but I would really go with a low cost US Index. The US is the best performing index ever. 

Again sorry as I’m a total novice on things like this....if I rock up to my local bank of Ireland will they or can they set me up to invest in the US equity fund or do I need to go to a broker or can I do this myself from home?
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 9:28am

Not pension related but do have a monthly SO set up to a separate account for the kids. As much to help with college when it comes around than anything else. Just a normal savings account, earns fook all interest or that. Are there better things i should be putting it into instead? Wont need to be touched for 10-12 more years
you could look at 10 year state bond if you have a bit of a lump sum built up, thats what I did. Have another lump ready to go as well and ill put that into a 5 year satate savings cert so both will have matured around the end of secondary school. 

Just had a quick look at them...the 10yr returns €160 for every €1000 over the ten years.id guess most people will just throw what they have spare into that (could be the children’s allowance etc) so say 250 a mth is €3000 a year over ten years is €30000 or €34800 with the return....that’s along time to be waiting for €5000 return...is there anything that would give a bigger return over that time??

With inflation you are probably not getting any return on that investment but it’s zero risk.

If you have a long term horizon you should be buying low cost US equity index fund. The average returns are 10% on an annual basis. Some years this will be down 20% and others up 40% but over the long term the average growth is around 10%
The best strategy is put in small amounts on a monthly basis so you are not trying to time the market. The longer you are in the market the better. 

They will be owning a tiny % of Apple / Google / Amazon / Visa / Nike / AirBnB etc   Every time you spend on one of these you know it’s going into one of your companies. 

Your bank should have this service available or others like aviva also offer this service.
They will try to push a global equity index on you as this is more safe but I would really go with a low cost US Index. The US is the best performing index ever. 

Again sorry as I’m a total novice on things like this....if I rock up to my local bank of Ireland will they or can they set me up to invest in the US equity fund or do I need to go to a broker or can I do this myself from home?

You can rock up or call the bank of Ireland or do it online if you want to start saving/investing into funds 

On their website:

Products 
Investments 
Access the fund center 

This lists out all the available funds - 

You want the North American Equity Indexed (This tracks the S&P 500 -  
The performance of the last 3 / 5 / 10 years on an annual basis has been 13.3% /  10.7%. /  14.8% 
Cumulative  45.6%. / 66.6%. / 298.6% 

You can set up a monthly standing order and you’ll get monthly statements etc 

If you put in 10k in 2010 it would now be worth 40k.

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 10:38am
Any reason you'd steer clear of the technology indexed fund that they have listed? 
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 10:41am
Set the wheels in motion for the work pension. Its an employer contribution PRSA where they contribute 1.5% of basic pay. My salary is 1/3 allowances and premiums so a bit disappointing in that regard but better than nothing.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 11:04am

You can rock up or call the bank of Ireland or do it online if you want to start saving/investing into funds 

On their website:

Products 
Investments 
Access the fund center 

The performance of the last 3 / 5 / 10 years on an annual basis has been 13.3% /  10.7%. /  14.8% 

Would there be Capital Gains Tax on that?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 11:23am
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

On their website:

Products 
Investments 
Access the fund center 

Only when you sell / realise the profits 

There is a generous annual capital gains tax allowance in the UK (12k) but in Ireland it’s FA - 1,270.....  so not much scope in Ireland for tax planning   

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 11:25am

Set the wheels in motion for the work pension. Its an employer contribution PRSA where they contribute 1.5% of basic pay. My salary is 1/3 allowances and premiums so a bit disappointing in that regard but better than nothing.

Why were they not automatically paying this in?
Did you actually have to ‘agree’ to this?  That’s seems odd. 

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 11:32am

Employees had to set it up themselves by contacting the company’s provider of the PRSA. Once set up the provider would then make the arrangements with the company. If you didn’t want to set it up you were supposed to sign a waiver. Luckily I didn’t sign it at the time so can now set it up and get the company contribution. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 11:32am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Any reason you'd steer clear of the technology indexed fund that they have listed? 

It’s more riskier and this is people’s savings so I’m advocating a safe return on a proven index - S&P 500.

The S&P 500 gives you exposure to Amazon, Google , Apple etc so you have exposure to tech. 

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 11:33am

Employees had to set it up themselves by contacting the company’s provider of the PRSA. Once set up the provider would then make the arrangements with the company. If you didn’t want to set it up you were supposed to sign a waiver. Luckily I didn’t sign it at the time so can now set it up and get the company contribution. 

Any chance they will backdate it? Worth asking ...

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 11:34am

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

It’s more riskier and this is people’s savings so I’m advocating a safe return on a proven index - S&P 500.

The S&P 500 gives you exposure to Amazon, Google , Apple etc so you have exposure to tech. 

Nice one, many thanks! 
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 11:35am

Once the Comedy clubs reopen, get yourself a stand up slotLOL zero hope but nothing to lose in asking.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 11:53am

There is a generous annual capital gains tax allowance in the UK (12k) but in Ireland it’s FA - 1,270.....  so not much scope in Ireland for tax planning   
I think those accounts calculate the gain and give you a CGT bill every 8 years. Bit of a pain to work it out every year. "Deemed Disposal" it's called
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 12:17pm

Once the Comedy clubs reopen, get yourself a stand up slotLOL zero hope but nothing to lose in asking.

You laugh but in the Uk pension act 2008 there is a clause of auto-enrolment. If you have a pension scheme you must auto enrol every employee over 22 unless they agree not to accept this money! 

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 2:21pm

You laugh but in the Uk pension act 2008 there is a clause of auto-enrolment. If you have a pension scheme you must auto enrol every employee over 22 unless they agree not to accept this money! 
I was more laughing at the thought of this lot giving something like backdating at their own discretion. The 1.5 had to be dragged out of them kicking and screaming over a year ago. Anyhow, ball is rolling. Cheers for the adviceClap
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 11:39pm

On their website:

Products 
Investments 
Access the fund center 

Was chatting to a mate of mine that invests directly in US equities (seems to be doing quite well with a US petroleum company)..he did mention the capital gains tax...he said its 33%of most gains but 40% for gains in foreign life polices or foreign investment products.....so do you lose 40% of all your gains when you want to take it out???has to be some sort of loophole there to get the few bob out?
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 8:13am

Was chatting to a mate of mine that invests directly in US equities (seems to be doing quite well with a US petroleum company)..he did mention the capital gains tax...he said its 33%of most gains but 40% for gains in foreign life polices or foreign investment products.....so do you lose 40% of all your gains when you want to take it out???has to be some sort of loophole there to get the few bob out?
Unfortunately not, unless ya wanna emigrate somewhere for the year you're cashing out.

CGT is only paid on a gain, better to make a gain and give some to the taxman than not make a gain.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic