Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pay cuts at the FAI

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Originally posted by Junior Junior wrote:

[You need to get yer head out of the sand. Give me an example of an organisation of the FAI's size with a CEO earning that sort of money?

I strongly suspect and have anecdotally heard that he earns less than the heads of the smaller GAA and IRFU. But on the basis they keep salary secret, we will never know.

According to the Sindo, the average CEO in Ireland earns €812,000.

The pay of CEO's in other Irish NGO's.

American Ireland Fund. €1,000,000
2006, Concern, €160,000
Enable Ireland €157,000
Irish Cancer Society €145,000
Irish Wheelchair Assosciation €142,000
Trocaire €142,000
COPE €130,000
Focus Ireland €125,000
SvDP €110,000

so if we cast off the AIF as an outlier then we can see he is vastly overpaid , or am i misreading here ?

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Sponsored Links

roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

so if we cast off the AIF as an outlier then we can see he is vastly overpaid , or am i misreading here ?

I'm saying he is above the salary grade of the charities that responded to the media, but is well below the private sector average. Which is what I would expect.

In the absence of any other sports administrators salary being in the public domain, its a somewhat futile excercise to rank him.
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 1:31pm

turnover of 50m is not the hard part, id say you make a chimp CEO of the FAI and it will still be generating that sort of turnover, balancing the books within in a sustainable finanicial model is the hard part, this is something the FAI has failed consistently at. You have to ask yourself really how screwed they would have been if we didnt qualify for the Euros.........

their Financial planning seems to gamble on us qualifying. Any orthodox finiancial planning would base forecasts on us not qualifying for a tournaments. This seems to be the nub of the problem. they did the exact same with vantage club, a scheme that was so out of touch with the average football fan that would make your really question the competence of the people at the helm.  
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

turnover of 50m is not the hard part, id say you make a chimp CEO of the FAI and it will still be generating that sort of turnover, balancing the books within in a sustainable finanicial model is the hard part, this is something the FAI has failed consistently at. You have to ask yourself really how screwed they would have been if we didnt qualify for the Euros.........

their Financial planning seems to gamble on us qualifying. Any orthodox finiancial planning would base forecasts on us not qualifying for a tournaments. This seems to be the nub of the problem. they did the exact same with vantage club, a scheme that was so out of touch with the average football fan that would make your really question the competence of the people at the helm.  

You are dead right citizen. The FAI are the only organisation in Ireland, nay the world, struggling to balance the books sustainably while seeing a fall in demand for their most expensive product targetted at corporates and high net worth individuals.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 1:57pm

Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

You are dead right citizen. The FAI are the only organisation in Ireland, nay the world, struggling to balance the books sustainably while seeing a fall in demand for their most expensive product targetted at corporates and high net worth individuals.

perhaps not but they certainly proceeded to flog that horse long after it had died and still have not come up with a plan to create revenue from these seats.

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 1:58pm

Originally posted by Eddie Rincon Eddie Rincon wrote:

Cooney of the GAA has been on 200k a year can't find a figure for the IRFU but it is similar or less. Mind you, Cooney has not had to cover any bar tabs with Guinness as sponsors of the hurling championship.

Cooney is the GAA President, equivalent of Paddy McCaul. Padraig Duffy is the Director General, equivalent to Delaney. McCaul does not earn €200k

Keep looking.

GAA President is a full time role (as I understand it McCaul's is not). Also, the GAA President role is for a fixed term only without re-election. While there, the GAA pay your employer your salary and your employer continue to pay you. So, in the event you are earning €50,000 before election, you will earn €50,000 after election (plus of course expenses are paid). In Cooney's case, he was (and presumably is again) some manner of FAS executive paid in the region of €300,000 a year, so the GAA paid FAS that, and FAS continued to pay Cooney while he was President. For that reason, it's not a valid comparison.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by Eddie Rincon Eddie Rincon wrote:

Cooney of the GAA has been on 200k a year can't find a figure for the IRFU but it is similar or less. Mind you, Cooney has not had to cover any bar tabs with Guinness as sponsors of the hurling championship.

Cooney is the GAA President, equivalent of Paddy McCaul. Padraig Duffy is the Director General, equivalent to Delaney. McCaul does not earn €200k

Keep looking.

GAA President is a full time role (as I understand it McCaul's is not). Also, the GAA President role is for a fixed term only without re-election. While there, the GAA pay your employer your salary and your employer continue to pay you. So, in the event you are earning €50,000 before election, you will earn €50,000 after election (plus of course expenses are paid). In Cooney's case, he was (and presumably is again) some manner of FAS executive paid in the region of €300,000 a year, so the GAA paid FAS that, and FAS continued to pay Cooney while he was President. For that reason, it's not a valid comparison.

Which is why I didn't make it...

Long and short of it, a number of posters are stating as a FACT!! that Delaney earns more than his broadly similar equivalents in the IRFU and Gahliban. That is complete speculation.
Junior View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 2:45pm
Rovers - Knowing what we know of the FAI financial situation and  the current measures being taken to rectify it. Knowing (as Citizen rightly points out) that it would have been so much worse if it wasnt for the prize money received for qualifying for the EURO's (and then JD committing to a contract extension for Trap straight on the back of that effectively cashing out a big chunk of that prize money).

Knowing all that. Do you believe the CEO of the FAI is a €360k package?

You put up various arguments to defend the package but they are all fairly vague and, Im not actually sure if you believe he is overpaid/underpaid or on the right package.

If he walked/was pushed tomorrow - The CEO vacant role would be a €150k salary almost certainly.

Edited by Junior - 08 Aug 2012 at 2:47pm
irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 3:00pm
So the next ceo of the fai gets 150k a year(in line with spanish/italian fa),he/she needs to not cut wages of staff/increase turnover/reduce the debt and revamp/re brand our domestic league while improveing facilities thru out the country at grounds and still support grass roots football/coaching.The manager of the senior side gets 500k max for his management team plus a 500k bonus should we qualify for a wc or euros.The ticket prices to home games should be reduced to €20 max in line with italian and spanish fa approach thus ensureing a full house at every qualifier.

where do i send my cv?
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Junior View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by irelandshirts irelandshirts wrote:

So the next ceo of the fai gets 150k a year(in line with spanish/italian fa),he/she needs to not cut wages of staff/increase turnover/reduce the debt and revamp/re brand our domestic league while improveing facilities thru out the country at grounds and still support grass roots football/coaching.The manager of the senior side gets 500k max for his management team plus a 500k bonus should we qualify for a wc or euros.The ticket prices to home games should be reduced to €20 max in line with italian and spanish fa approach thus ensureing a full house at every qualifier.

where do i send my cv?

Where did you get that from? Of course that would still be required of the attractively/competitively renumerated role taking account of the financial resources of the organisation at hand.

Ticket Pricing should be aimed at maximising revenue & maximising attendances at home games.

To be fair irelandshirts, I'd save price of the stamp, not sure you are cut out for it.Wink
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 3:30pm

Rovers - Knowing what we know of the FAI financial situation and  the current measures being taken to rectify it. Knowing (as Citizen rightly points out) that it would have been so much worse if it wasnt for the prize money received for qualifying for the EURO's (and then JD committing to a contract extension for Trap straight on the back of that effectively cashing out a big chunk of that prize money).

Knowing all that. Do you believe the CEO of the FAI is a €360k package?

You put up various arguments to defend the package but they are all fairly vague and, Im not actually sure if you believe he is overpaid/underpaid or on the right package.

If he walked/was pushed tomorrow - The CEO vacant role would be a €150k salary almost certainly.

That is all a bit simplistic though. We wanted a CEO post Genesis to tighten up the FAI. We got one. We wanted an end to corruption, we got it, and that largely comes down to paying people enough that they aren't tempted to dip. Now we are complaining that we are paying market value. I think the narrative is quite strange.

I think he is overpaid, but I think all Irish business and civic leaders are overpaid. The question I have asked time and time again is why pick on Delaney in isolation.

Or put another way - if we decide to slash all wages at the top in the FAI, CEO, CFO, CAO, Manager, Asst Manager and the rest, don't act all suprised if it unravels.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 3:31pm

where do i send my cv?

So you exepect somone to work for less than half the wages of the incumbant and do a better job?

Can you give me any examples of this innovative business strategy working?
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 3:41pm
The wages of the CEO Philip Browne is on substantially less than JD as is Padraic Duffy AS of GAA fact not anecdotally.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 3:43pm

where do i send my cv?

So you exepect somone to work for less than half the wages of the incumbant and do a better job?

Can you give me any examples of this innovative business strategy working?

sorry rtid you missed the sarcasm in that post!I was just being(badly!) facetious.The points above are some that ive read on this and the jd thread as to where the current ceo has in the eyes of some fallen down.

What i should have said is that in corporate ireland where a salary of 500k a year for banks ceo needs to be increased as it may not attract "suitable candidates" i wonder(like you) who would now take the role of ceo of the FAI for 150k a year now and would he/she be "suitable"?

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 3:44pm

Delaney is overpaid full stop. He is the CEO of an organisation with an annual turnover of €50m.

The head of the Dept of Finance who has financial responsibility for the country is paid less than Delaney.

Delaney's highly paid peers are paid on the basis that they make money for their companies and provide profits for the shareholders.

Delaney buys drink for fans to keep them sweet.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

[You need to get yer head out of the sand. Give me an example of an organisation of the FAI's size with a CEO earning that sort of money?

I strongly suspect and have anecdotally heard that he earns less than the heads of the smaller GAA and IRFU. But on the basis they keep salary secret, we will never know.

According to the Sindo, the average CEO in Ireland earns €812,000.

The pay of CEO's in other Irish NGO's.

American Ireland Fund. €1,000,000
2006, Concern, €160,000
Enable Ireland €157,000
Irish Cancer Society €145,000
Irish Wheelchair Assosciation €142,000
Trocaire €142,000
COPE €130,000
Focus Ireland €125,000
SvDP €110,000

is that figure for ceo of concern really true??Confusedf**k me,how can someone whos organisations slogan is "working with the worlds poorest people to transform their lives" get paid 160k a year and sleep at night??

Someone said in an earlier post that people should "lead from the front" in terms of wage cuts etc.If the ceo of concern earned 80k a year instead of 160k a year that could "buy enough food to bring 1000 severly malnourished children in Somalia back to health".

Edited by irelandshirts - 08 Aug 2012 at 4:05pm

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

The wages of the CEO Philip Browne is on substantially less than JD as is Padraic Duffy AS of GAA fact not anecdotally.

Can you verify this FACT!! please?
Junior View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 4:28pm

That is all a bit simplistic though. We wanted a CEO post Genesis to tighten up the FAI. We got one. We wanted an end to corruption, we got it, and that largely comes down to paying people enough that they aren't tempted to dip. Now we are complaining that we are paying market value. I think the narrative is quite strange.

I agree its simplistic, Im not complaining that we are paying market value. We arent, we are paying over market value (We disagree on that - so lets leave it there).

If the Aviva was packed for every home game and the Debt was being paid off. If the Domestic game was on the rise and our Underage teams were showing progression.

If the Board had delivered on publicised objectives such as a National Academy (see below).

A lot of IF's there but if all was rosey, I tend to agree, I dont think people would be looking to closely at JD's salary because things would be getting delivered.. Unfortunately things arent rosey, far from it, and as a result we need to cut the cloth accordingly and define the roles and packages that are required now (not what people thought they were 5 or 10 years ago) - From the top down.

The opening of the new headquarters completes the first phase of the FAI’s National Sports Campus project and chief executive John Delaney said the focus will now shift to quickly completing the second phase.

‘Phase two of our Abbotstown project is the creation of a national academy complete with seven top class training pitches,’ said Delaney.

That was from an article dated Dec 2007.

I think he is overpaid, but I think all Irish business and civic leaders are overpaid. The question I have asked time and time again is why pick on Delaney in isolation.

Or put another way - if we decide to slash all wages at the top in the FAI, CEO, CFO, CAO, Manager, Asst Manager and the rest, don't act all suprised if it unravels.

I think the FAI should look at the top 5-10 earners. Justify If the role is required and then benchmark the salary. Bottom line is the FAI cannot afford to pay what some of these top earners are getting and if they can get it elsewhere then so be it, you replace them with people more appropriate for newly defined FAI roles and packages.

Again very simplistic, God knows what the overtime bill for the HR department would be sorting all that out but you get my drift.....Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
  Share Topic