You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Patrick O'Connell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Patrick O'Connell
    Posted: 07 May 2014 at 10:31pm

The name of PATRICK O'CONNELL is well known throughout Irish, British and Spanish football, but more people need to know of his contribution to the history of the sport. Born in Drumcondra, north of Dublin, O'Connell had a very varied and distinguished football career as player and manager for many clubs including BELFAST CELTIC, MANCHESTER UNITED (Captain 1915- ), REAL BETIS (Winning the club's one and only La Liga title in 1935) and, perhaps most famously, FC BARCELONA during the troubled times of the Spanish Civil War. What makes the story so more fascinating and tragic is that O'Connell died, homeless and destitute, many years later in London, and is buried their in an unmarked grave to this day...... This MEMORIAL FUND PAGE represents the campaign that relatives and supporters are now running to give the name of O'Connell the respect it deserves...By raising funds to improve the grave site in London and provide it with a new headstone, AND to commission the building of a STATUE in his memory, in either Ireland or the UK.
Above is a picture taken by football writer and campaigner Anthony Higgins of Mr. O'Connell's unmarked grave in London.

All I ask is you like our facebook page below and spread the word and watch out for donations from legends of the game as well as upcoming events on the page.
Also we are working with filmmakers Julian Phelan and Jeff Healey who are planning on making a film about Mr. O'Connell's life and if commissioned they will donate the entire production fee to this cause.
Mike O'Connell Grandson of Patrick and his wife Sue are also behind the campaign.

It's a long road,it's a good cause....thanks for your time.

https://www.facebook.com/POConnellmemorial - please like and spread the word.

Sponsored Links

Deco79 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deco79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 11:50am
Not being a smart arse but have any of the clubs been contacted about contributing towards this? And where in London is the grave?
Deco79 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deco79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 12:01pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wHcPZ7KRtc
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 2:58pm
Your point is valid and to date the FAI and Belfast Celtic(now defunct) have made donations, and we would personally love it if a former club stumped up the cash but alas not so far but we shall persevere.
Nowadays owners and football clubs are more interested in the brand e.g. Tan at Cardiff, Hull City etc

I can't access youtube but I'm thinking you've stuck up the TNAG documentary - to note the people who produced this are also supportive and involved in this campaign.

If not I apologise.

We are hoping to get a very large Irish flag commissioned as part of the campaign - it would read:

'Paddy Don Patricio O'Connell'
Fear Eireannach
Imreoir do na Ceiltigh Beal Feiriste
Leader of Real Betis
Saviour of Barcelona
Facebook page - please support'

I'm just wondering if there would be anybody on here who is travelling to Georgia and Germany would be willing to take the flag with them and obviously return it safely.Wink

We are heading to Glasgow and obviously be at Gibraltar. 

PM me if you can help - thanks again.

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 4:34pm
Has anyone contacted Barca and Betis ?

Surely the Qatari Foundation !!!!

Why not start a petition/fundraiser ourselves.
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 4:44pm
I dont mean to sound disrespectful or anything, but why are the family not taking care of this?

By this, I mean the grave

Edited by erimus - 08 May 2014 at 4:53pm
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
Deco79 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deco79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 4:49pm
Interesting viewing on this in terms of his family...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwN2i8baWHE
he left them behind...
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by erimus erimus wrote:

I dont mean to sound disrespectful or anything, but why are the family not taking care of this?

By this, I mean the grave

He died destitute so Im assumed they were estranged.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Has anyone contacted Barca and Betis ?

Surely the Qatari Foundation !!!!

Why not start a petition/fundraiser ourselves.

Yep we are awaiting replies from Barca and Betis and the Qatar foundation....fingers crossed!!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 7:57pm
Just to keep you all updated Cruyff,Keane,O'Neill,Marchisio,Pirlo,Balotelli have all signed shirts in the last few weeks...pics on page below please 'like' if you get a chance - more legends in the coming weeks...
https://www.facebook.com/POConnellmemorial
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 10:45pm
The Northern Ireland team told us about this campaign as he played for both teams. I'm sure if you get the right contacts in Spain the clubs will stump up the money.

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 9:06am
Just invited all facebook ybiggers from my page to like it. Might help bump up the numbers before you go hit up the Spaniards.

Best of luck Clap
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Deco79 Deco79 wrote:

Not being a smart arse but have any of the clubs been contacted about contributing towards this? And where in London is the grave?
somewhere in kilburn...
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2014 at 9:54pm
Cheers McG.

Interesting post about Mark Lawrenson and Sir Tom Finney on O'Connell Facebook page detailed above,worth a read.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 6:06am
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

Just to keep you all updated Cruyff,Keane,O'Neill,Marchisio,Pirlo,Balotelli have all signed shirts in the last few weeks...pics on page below please 'like' if you get a chance - more legends in the coming weeks...
https://www.facebook.com/POConnellmemorial

Hows ths going GG?
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 1:22pm
Going well The Irish Post in the UK have covered the cause in this weeks edition(out today I believe in the UK and in Easons here tomorrow or Friday) and advertised our meeting.

Oliver Kahn signed a Bayern Munich GK shirt in Germany last week, winging its way to Ireland as I type.

The page is updated with news on a daily basis..thanks to all who have supported to date.

ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

Going well The Irish Post in the UK have covered the cause in this weeks edition(out today I believe in the UK and in Easons here tomorrow or Friday) and advertised our meeting.

Oliver Kahn signed a Bayern Munich GK shirt in Germany last week, winging its way to Ireland as I type.

The page is updated with news on a daily basis..thanks to all who have supported to date.

is the Facebook page still going tried to get on it there but got an error message. Best of luck with it all
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 2:42pm
I will be picking up a copy of the Irish Post later and will look out for it.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
  Share Topic