Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Patrick Bamford

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 8:42pm
Greenisle wrote :  i dont see how playing international football for us will enhance a players career as its not club football.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Confused

Are you serious? So if you had a choice of two players of similar ability and one had 20 caps, the other had none, who would you sign? 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Sponsored Links

Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 1:44am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

While i agree with what your saying pal to a certain extent, i don't want any old plastic paddy declaring for Ireland just to play international football so he can further his own career. If you get asked once by the FAI to declare and you say no, then forget about that player imo.

This^^. The problem isn't lads who're second or third generation Paddies - there's plenty of proud Irishmen in those categories - it's plastic ****s with no pride who'll declare for us as an after-thought because England won't pick them.......f**k that Thumbs Down
RKeane View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKeane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 1:55am
We only want irish players after all we are Ireland?why have Englands D team?
YESSSS! IT'S THERE
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 11:29am
Originally posted by GREENISLE GREENISLE wrote:

Originally posted by GREENISLE GREENISLE wrote:

Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

FFS, everybody does it. Spain had Marcos Senna, Italy had Camronesi, Germany have Podolski & Klose and AFAIK, they had no parentage or anything like that to tie them to those countries. It was only because they lived there.

Which is a far stronger connection than the likes of Townsend or Morrison had to us....

While this case is more complex in that he played for us underage, I really thought we had moved beyond the demeaning Charlton policy of 'England B'

so where are we now then, n.ireland b scotland b.....who cares where players are from if they have irish blood in them get the green jersey on them otherwise we would have a fairly poor team and history.

While i agree with what your saying pal to a certain extent, i don't want any old plastic paddy declaring for Ireland just to play international football so he can further his own career. If you get asked once by the FAI to declare and you say no, then forget about that player imo.

i dont see how playing international football for us will enhance a players career as its not club football.
good god, did you really just say that?!
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 12:03am
Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

This^^. The problem isn't lads who're second or third generation Paddies - there's plenty of proud Irishmen in those categories - it's plastic ****s with no pride who'll declare for us as an after-thought because England won't pick them.......f**k that Thumbs Down

I agree. There should be a clear distinction made between diaspora, born overseas but with an Irish identity, Kilbane, McGeady, McGrath, Alan Kelly and the rest and chancers, Morrison, Butler, Townsend etc. 

I have no problem with someone from a genuine Irish background born abroad playing for Ireland. I have a significant problem with the extremes Charlton went to. 
IrwinClass View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrwinClass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 1:07am

I agree. There should be a clear distinction made between diaspora, born overseas but with an Irish identity, Kilbane, McGeady, McGrath, Alan Kelly and the rest and chancers, Morrison, Butler, Townsend etc. 

I have no problem with someone from a genuine Irish background born abroad playing for Ireland. I have a significant problem with the extremes Charlton went to. 

Why is Butler in this list? Fair enough he wasn't very good but as far as I know he rejected Wales and I've never seen him waving the England flag like Morrison and Townsend or singing the anthem like Holland.
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 1:31am

Hear, f**king hear - other than that we'll be just like a glorified club side.
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 2:21am

ClapClapClapClap
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by IrwinClass IrwinClass wrote:

Why is Butler in this list? Fair enough he wasn't very good but as far as I know he rejected Wales and I've never seen him waving the England flag like Morrison and Townsend or singing the anthem like Holland.

Because he stated he chose Ireland over Wales because the nightlife was better in Dublin than Cardiff.

Add Westwood to that list. I've never been to Ireland but I am a Catholic.

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 12:59pm
whats wrong with feeling both english and irish ?
andy townsend and mark lawrenson were unbelievable players for us ,

some proper dung talk on here at certain times.

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Exactly, you don't have to be one or the other. I would add to that I don't care where a player is from as long as they give 100% to the team when picked. I would have more respect for the likes of Cox,Westwood and Green who turn up to every squad when picked and give it their all when playing than some of the ''genuine'' Irish players who give lame excuses for not showing up when their country calls on them.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Nothing. But we aren't talking about diaspora who can have those subtleties. We are talking about Englishmen who found out their granny got threded by some paddy in the 20's and decided to play for Ireland because England weren't interested. Townsend might have been a solid player, but he is as Irish as Thatcher. He cried when 'Eire' beat England in 88 according to himself.

As has been said before, I would prefer an inferior Irish born keeper to Westwood. But not Kelly.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrwinClass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 2:02pm

Because he stated he chose Ireland over Wales because the nightlife was better in Dublin than Cardiff.

Add Westwood to that list. I've never been to Ireland but I am a Catholic.

Sounds like you're talking sh*te about Butler for some reason.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 2:18pm

Those journos who are already hostile to McCarthy have now seized upon Butler s non-Irishness as a stick to beat the manager with. One hack even got into a verbal altercation with McCarthy over the topic, at a press conference to announce the squad a fortnight ago.

The Butler issue essentially comes down to two strands. Firstly, should someone with no connection whatsoever to this country, save for the nationality of his spouse, be allowed to represent it? Secondly, quite apart from his origins, is Butler good enough as a footballer to warrant selection?

The first part answers itself. Butler is Anglo-Welsh, and doesn t have a drop of Irish blood in him. This is not like Jason McAteer unearthing a great-grandfather from Kinnegad, or wherever it was. This is cut and dried. The guy is not Irish.

Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrwinClass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 2:47pm

Those journos who are already hostile to McCarthy have now seized upon Butler s non-Irishness as a stick to beat the manager with. One hack even got into a verbal altercation with McCarthy over the topic, at a press conference to announce the squad a fortnight ago.

The Butler issue essentially comes down to two strands. Firstly, should someone with no connection whatsoever to this country, save for the nationality of his spouse, be allowed to represent it? Secondly, quite apart from his origins, is Butler good enough as a footballer to warrant selection?

The first part answers itself. Butler is Anglo-Welsh, and doesn t have a drop of Irish blood in him. This is not like Jason McAteer unearthing a great-grandfather from Kinnegad, or wherever it was. This is cut and dried. The guy is not Irish.

So you were talking sh*te and continue to do so. He was born Paul Roberts and was adopted by his step-father and qualifies through his step-grandfather Seamus Butler.

Edited by IrwinClass - 17 Apr 2013 at 4:01pm
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 2:51pm

So you were talking sh*te and continue to do so. He was born Paul Roberts and was adopted by his step-father and qualifies through his step-grandfather Clifford Butler.
that would mean cascarino qualified too.You clearly don't understand or know the rules.Stop talking sh*te.

Edited by Clonbhoy - 17 Apr 2013 at 2:59pm
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrwinClass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

So you were talking sh*te and continue to do so. He was born Paul Roberts and was adopted by his step-father and qualifies through his step-grandfather Clifford Butler.
that would mean cascarino qualified too.You clearly don't understand or know the rules.Stop talking sh*te.

Cascarino did qualify. The furore there was that he didn't know that his mother was adopted until later on. He thought his Irish grandfather was his biological one when he was his step-grandfather, like Butler.

It's embarrassing that people don't know the citizenship rules for their own country. If you are adopted by an Irish citizen then the citizenship is passed on.
packiesglove View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 4:03pm

Lovely term GD. could you please explain it to me, I have been called that by many English people while growing up in London, and found it equally offensive Angry 

Edited by packiesglove - 17 Apr 2013 at 4:12pm
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic