Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pat Fenlon @ Hibs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by sullo-bohs sullo-bohs wrote:

While it's great to see that clubs arent bending over for other clubs outside Ireland (Bohs with Dundee United, Cook turning down St Johnstone), I can't help but feel that it's the only way managers will get noticed. Not sure how many managers have gone to England from Ireland in recent times but reckon it's close to none.

If a manager wants to be reckonised in Ireland then moving to Scotland and finshing 3rd is much better than winning the league in Ireland (with the biggest budget I might add). There has been plenty of examples of managers going from Scotland to England so the proof is there.

Roddy
Cooke
Foster
Kenna
Connors
Farrelly (kinda)

Edited by roverstillidie - 09 Nov 2011 at 12:39pm
Sponsored Links

sullo-bohs View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sullo-bohs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

While it's great to see that clubs arent bending over for other clubs outside Ireland (Bohs with Dundee United, Cook turning down St Johnstone), I can't help but feel that it's the only way managers will get noticed. Not sure how many managers have gone to England from Ireland in recent times but reckon it's close to none.

If a manager wants to be reckonised in Ireland then moving to Scotland and finshing 3rd is much better than winning the league in Ireland (with the biggest budget I might add). There has been plenty of examples of managers going from Scotland to England so the proof is there.

Roddy
Cooke
Foster
Kenna
Connors
Farrelly (kinda)

Some pretty bad examples there though, all have either come back after poor spells in charge of their clubs or finished managing all together. What I meant when I said no manager has gone to England is no manager has gone and succeeded/ is still there.

It actually proves my point that if you wanna stand a chance of moving up in management terms then going to the SPL is probably a better choice than staying in Ireland.
"Napoleon chose his generals because they were lucky, not because they were brave"
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 2:47pm

Some pretty bad examples there though, all have either come back after poor spells in charge of their clubs or finished managing all together. What I meant when I said no manager has gone to England is no manager has gone and succeeded/ is still there.

It actually proves my point that if you wanna stand a chance of moving up in management terms then going to the SPL is probably a better choice than staying in Ireland.

Its wishful thinking on your part. The salient reality is the bigger clubs in the league can retain their manager when the SPL come knocking. Cooke and odds on MON. The mid table sides like Bohs have to fight to hang onto theirs. 

MON will manage a bigger club than Rovers at some point. But it wont be the soups this time round
sullo-bohs View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sullo-bohs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 2:56pm

Its wishful thinking on your part. The salient reality is the bigger clubs in the league can retain their manager when the SPL come knocking. Cooke and odds on MON. The mid table sides like Bohs have to fight to hang onto theirs. 

MON will manage a bigger club than Rovers at some point. But it wont be the soups this time round

Bohs didn't have to fight when Fenlon was linked with Dundee United, they gave a price and it wasn't met, simple as, not much of a fight if you ask me as we were happy to see him move on but didn't bend over for them so your sly dig was missed.

It doesn't concern me who manages Rovers or anyone for that matter other than Bohs but the stark reality is managing Hibs is going to do more for your career than managing in the LOI. I think this is the best it will get for Rovers europe wise so winning the league with a huge budget year in year out will prove nothing. He should take this chance to move on and better himself otherwise he could end up like Fenlon, would Dundee United come looking for him now? Prob not.
"Napoleon chose his generals because they were lucky, not because they were brave"
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Poor Man's Duncan Castles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 2:57pm

Roddy
Cooke
Foster
Kenna
Connors
Farrelly (kinda)

Sam Allardyce and Lawrie Sanchez have both managed in the Premier League after coming from LOI...

If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job
The Joker View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 3:49pm
Insider tells me MON is heading to Scotland on Sat morning to sign a contract
AndyMc View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyMc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 5:41pm
Inside where
Simon: No-one brings a bag of sh*t to a pub

Jay: Your dad does

Simon: Does he?

Jay: Yeah, your mum

roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 8:13am
His head.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 10:17am
If Hibs had a million quid to give MON & they had a squad of decent players then it would be a good move for him , but seriously Hibs are broke , struggling badly & have a squad filled with average players i reckon MON should hold on keep doing what he's doing at Rovers & move to a bigger club when the times right....Scottish Football is on its knee's
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
wrestler313 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrestler313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

If Hibs had a million quid to give MON & they had a squad of decent players then it would be a good move for him , but seriously Hibs are broke , struggling badly & have a squad filled with average players i reckon MON should hold on keep doing what he's doing at Rovers & move to a bigger club when the times right....Scottish Football is on its knee's

agreed and did he not just say he was staying at rovers? hibs wont be in europe next year rovers willClap
The Joker View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 3:10pm
If i told you who the insider was she wouldn't be an insider anymore hence the secrecy...dont say i told you so.
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 3:47pm
o'neill and magilton were at Glentoran 2 0 Linfield last nite
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Poor Man's Duncan Castles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by The Joker The Joker wrote:

sh*te insider!

If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job
Cotsy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cotsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 7:11am
Fenlon offered a 3.5 year deal, boils down to whether he wants to uproot his family. I think and hope he will. Hope it works out for him, could be a top manager.
Bohs Till I Die
JH91 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JH91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Siralex Siralex wrote:

Originally posted by The Joker The Joker wrote:

sh*te insider!

Pretty sure he went over on Saturday for an interview. That was about it
MrFantastico View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrFantastico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 8:51am
His family would be arseholes if they ruined his chance, especially since edinburgh is a lovely city unlike dundee the cesspit of the north (excluding glasgow)
We hate princess diana, we hate elton john too, we hate orange bastards but rovers we love you.    KOH
Tiocfaidh Armani View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiocfaidh Armani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

On its knees? Bit dramatic there. The new SPL TV deal from SKY/ESPN just signed will see all SPL teams get in TV money what Shamrock Rovers turn over in a year.

Hibs have a world class training facility that they spent something like £6 million on. They've a good stadium with a brand new stand completed and are a full time outfit, unlike Rovers. You have eight games a year against Celtic and Rangers and overall it's a better standard of football.

I'm sorry but this stadium pees all over anything in Ireland and they actually own that 20,000 seater stadium and built it themselves. People forget Scotland is a country with 5 million people, it's made something like seven European finals with Celtic, Rangers, Dundee United and Aberdeen, it punched above its weight for a long time and even with that they've had two Euro finals in the last decade. Name me one country with five million people that's done that? People compare Scotland to England. They have 10% the population of England ffs!

Edited by Tiocfaidh Armani - 22 Nov 2011 at 12:48pm
samscafe View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samscafe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 3:06pm
We also have 85% of the UK's oil and gas, 25% of Europe's offshore wind resource, and 25% of food and drink exports in the UK come from Scotland.............that's why we should be independent
Certain mods are complete wankstains
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>
  Share Topic