You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paris

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paris
    Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 2:31pm
Walked everywhere last summer so didn’t use the metro ,heading with the bird this weekend , best /cheapest rail option , is there a 24 hour pass available from the airport ?

Staying near the Eiffel Tower.
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 3:01pm
SG

We got the bus - got a ticket from the kiosk beforehand - from the airport to the nearest Metro.
You can buy a carnet (10 single tickets). I think a day ticket you need to do 5 or more trips to make it pay. One ticket per trip.
If the weather is good would stick with the walking option. See more of the city.
Especially if you are staying near the Eiffel Tower

bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 3:58pm
Any recommendations on air bnbs to stay in there.

Might be heading over next year for a few days
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 4:07pm
Bought a carnet of public transport tickets myself a few weeks back when over there with the Mrs. The oyster card version for the metro system seems to be aimed at residents as iirc from last year you could only get a week long or month long version. No doubt there's the multi day passes that rip you off but allow access to museums and open top buses haven't bothered with them.

Sorry bhob, we stayed in a hotel. However if you're looking for an area to stay that's bustles during the day and is lively at night but not full of tourists then check out Rue du Faubourg Saint-Denis (the bit that's south of Boulevard de Magenta). It's a lively street in the 10th arrondissement and because the vars and restaurants are frequented by young Parisians and not tourists prices for beer start around €4.50-€5. It's close to metro stops and only about a 20-25 minute walk from Notre Dame.

Edited by colemanY2K - 24 Nov 2017 at 4:13pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 4:30pm

metro tickets are different to the RER.

RER from CDG is about a 10er I think. if you're heading towards Eiffel tower direction, probably best staying on the RER B until Denfert Rochereau and then metro ligne 6 towards etoile. bir hakeim is the Eiffel tower stop, although check to see what the nearest metro is to your accommodation. you'll need metro tickets for the change across, so probably best to buy at the same time as for the RER B. ligne 6 is grand enough too, the one metro that is above ground (below for several stops)

lafourchette.fr is a good site for restaurants; it's the one the French use, so majority of places with 9/10 ratings are pretty good, and can get discounts.

no Christmas market on champs elysees this year, although the one in La Defense is better anyway. La Marais is good spot on sundays to stroll about as it's the only area where shops etc are open. Little pub called Stollys near St Paul is key, and the bird working in there is pretty serious!

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 4:47pm
Go for at least one fancy meal in a Michelin starred restaurant. There are loads in Paris. viamichelin.com
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 3:07pm
Looking for hotel recommendations and best places to stay....

The last time we stayed near Gare du Nord and it was rougher than Dundalk.

Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Looking for hotel recommendations and best places to stay....

Stayed in the Art Hotel Eiffel last new years with her self 5 mins walk from the eiffel tower grand spot
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Its like a bad night in Mogadishu.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 5:56pm
depends what you're after. prices around Eiffel tower are quite inflated, and also you'll be wanting to head off in other directions. I'd actually recommend staying somewhere down near the 5th arrondissement, somewhere near enough to the pantheon. load of great bars and restaurants in and around there, and can walk up towards the likes of notre dame etc. from there. and if you're after a top pint of Guinness, the hurling pub down that way is very good!
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 6:21pm
Stayed in the kensington hotel 2 weeks ago ,3 min walk to the tower,good location,walking distance to everything.
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
spook09 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spook09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 12:59pm
Heading over here on Tues with the bird for a few days. How much you think will be ok moneywise? Going Eiffel Tower and Disneyland, Anyone been up the Eiffel Tower,is it ok just to rock up to it on the instead of pre booking tickets. 
cheers
I have been blessed with many things in this life – an arm like a damn rocket, a c*ck like a burmese python, and the mind of a f*cking scientist.
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by spook09 spook09 wrote:

Heading over here on Tues with the bird for a few days. How much you think will be ok moneywise? Going Eiffel Tower and Disneyland, Anyone been up the Eiffel Tower,is it ok just to rock up to it on the instead of pre booking tickets. 
cheers

Bring wellies
spook09 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spook09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 1:03pm
Jaysus i know manShocked, missus is freaking out Cry
I have been blessed with many things in this life – an arm like a damn rocket, a c*ck like a burmese python, and the mind of a f*cking scientist.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 1:09pm

cheers

Disney land is just under 200 each for a ticket.

Paris can be very expensive.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 1:18pm
It's at least as expensive as Dublin so just keep that in mind when you think about how much you need.
You can rock up to Eiffel Tower to the best of my knowledge.

A tip on saving some money in Disney if you are not already on set food plan like halfboard would be to use Disney Village for eating meals. I went without a food plan the last time and inside Disneyland, for example, 2 hodogs, 2 chips and drinks are going to set you back 30-34 Euro. Generally the fast food places are quite similar and they are are not very nice tasting. The non-fast food meals inside disney parks are mid-to-very expensive and you feel totally ripped off for what you get.

Your bet is to go to the Disney Village and get a 5 Guys. Same prices as here and at least it fills you for the day and tastes the same as here. There's also a mcdonalds and a Planet Hollywood which are reasonable so basically in Disney Village you don't feel absolutely ripped off like everywhere else I ate inside the park.

spook09 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spook09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 1:32pm
Don't really have a budget at the moment as I've been saving for a while but don't wanna blow the lot pointlessly either.
Few people have said we'll be alright just going the Eiffel tower on the day, more than likely will be a queue but you'd expect that.
Cheers for the replies lads, much appreciated. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 1:33pm

Jaysus i know manShocked, missus is freaking out Cry

Don't get spooked.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic