You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paddy's Day Fixtures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paddy's Day Fixtures
    Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 9:45am
I think it was MadFerret who suggested before that the season should open on Paddy's and run later into the year. Do people think that or just having a fixture list today would work? You could also have it like Stephen's in the IL and do derbies and traditional fixture. Just in work and missing all the craic so thought I'd get a debate going Cry
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Sponsored Links

saintjoey View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintjoey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 4:29pm
I wouldn't be having it opening today but I do believe a paddys day fixture would be excellent! Think pats could do well out of it for obvious reasons

Edited by saintjoey - 17 Mar 2016 at 4:30pm
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 6:47pm
Definitely agree and madferret is badly missed on here!
I'd certainly be open to starting the season on Paddy's day.
Even putting that aside wasn't why couldn't Mondays fixtures have been played tonight.
As you say rig the fixtures so they are mostly derbies or big fixtures.
There actually aren't too many derbies left in the PD so we could even have a round of cup derbies to get the FD involved.
Sham's V Bohs
Cork V Cobh
Dundalk V Drogs
Longford v Athlone
Sligo v Galway
Harps V Derry

Look into if it's possible to get Celtic or a selection to play Pats in LR and put the profits in the league pot/league advertisement pot, after Pats get a fair wedge of course.
Launch the league season with a bang and tap into the Irish and proud market.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 6:51pm
Yes having fixtures on this day would be a good idea I think . Paddys day next year is on a Friday . Should increase support for some travelling teams  
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 11:28am
Pats should have a home game on St Patricks day - maybe a derby. Rovers v Bohs, Drogs v Dundalk and Harps v Derry when available,  or vice versa, should be a Good Friday/Easter Monday.

The Glasgow and Edinburgh derbies are done like this, create a culture of that day being a specific fixture.
The Boy Z View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 11:32am
Couldn't agree more lads. Really can't understand why this doesn't happen.
Theres only one sport that matters..
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 12:17pm
City/Rovers called off for International Friendlies Angry
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

City/Rovers called off for International Friendlies Angry

Postponed for competitive Internationals
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
The Big Club View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Big Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 12:28pm
Are people suggesting afternoon or night games? For me, I would love them but i dont think it would increase support at all. Take this year for example, you had cheltenham, europa league games, club finals, parades etc and lads in pub all day (would they leave to go watch a match then at night?). I just think there are too many other things on which gives a population who don't need an excuse anyway an easy reason to avoid.
Twoinarow View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twoinarow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by The Big Club The Big Club wrote:

Are people suggesting afternoon or night games? For me, I would love them but i dont think it would increase support at all. Take this year for example, you had cheltenham, europa league games, club finals, parades etc and lads in pub all day (would they leave to go watch a match then at night?). I just think there are too many other things on which gives a population who don't need an excuse anyway an easy reason to avoid.

Exactly, If we played at home on Paddys Day and if Man Utd or Liverpool were playing on TV (never mind V each other) Cheltenham on etc... it would take 100's away from the crowd!
2 in a row and we won it in Tallaght
The Boy Z View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 1:03pm

6 o clock kick offs.

I'm not sure any of those reason would affect the crowd in a big way. Freak this year with Utd vs Liverpool being on but I don't think any of the other things really affect an LOI match. Even still, it's RTID's point that an effort should be made to make a day, derby day. Whether it's Patrick's Day, Easter Sunday, Good Friday, whenever. Start making a tradition, give the league a chance of grabbing the public's attention. 
Theres only one sport that matters..
Nah Nah Nah Nah View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Yea Yea Yea Yea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nah Nah Nah Nah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 1:06pm
Well they'll have a chance to do it next year with Paddys Day being on a Friday. No doubt they'll end up with Derry v Wexford and teams playing in Sligo, Longford, Limerick, Cobh and Bray on the Saturday evening (whatever division those teams are playing)
Twoinarow View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twoinarow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by The Boy Z The Boy Z wrote:

6 o clock kick offs.

I'm not sure any of those reason would affect the crowd in a big way. Freak this year with Utd vs Liverpool being on but I don't think any of the other things really affect an LOI match. Even still, it's RTID's point that an effort should be made to make a day, derby day. Whether it's Patrick's Day, Easter Sunday, Good Friday, whenever. Start making a tradition, give the league a chance of grabbing the public's attention. 

You think the Guards are going to let Rovers play Bohs on a Paddys Day at 6 pm LOL
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 1:11pm
Well we will never know unless we ask, will we. If they let Celtic play Rangers and Hearts v Hibs on St Stephens Day, why not?

Have you any suggestions or are you just going to rubbish progressive ideas?

Edited by roverstillidie - 22 Mar 2016 at 1:11pm
The Big Club View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Big Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by The Boy Z The Boy Z wrote:

6 o clock kick offs.

Agree BZ, just pointing out that I don't necessarily think the crowds would improve per se.
Twoinarow View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twoinarow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Well we will never know unless we ask, will we. If they let Celtic play Rangers and Hearts v Hibs on St Stephens Day, why not?

Have you any suggestions or are you just going to rubbish progressive ideas?

They wouldnt let you play last season (or was it the year before) on Sat evening never mind Paddys Day!

Well for a start midweek games should be def set up where we dont go to Wexford, Rovers Finn Harps etc...

I understand the need for Derbys, but we get as many for games V Bohs, Pats and more for yourselves than we do V Drogheda! 

Does it really matter though, until the FAI start caring, nothing will change!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 1:26pm

Agree BZ, just pointing out that I don't necessarily think the crowds would improve per se.
I think they might over time. Fans and loose fans will be home from overseas, there is the possibility of getting tourists along. The bogballers moved the club game to Paddies day in the 90's and its a staple fixture often getting decent crowds. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic