You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Owen Garvan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainpaulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 3:24pm
Back with a manager that thinks he doesnt have what it takes for a higher level and frooze him out at previous club...odd move.
Sponsored Links

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 3:45pm
Jaysis yeah, that is odd.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

smart man View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Not so.......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smart man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 3:57pm
Was happy to take the wages at Palace and sit in the stands. Should have moved sooner. Needs a run of 20 games. Doubt if will ever get near the Irish set up again. I saw somewhere he is the record holder of U/21 caps.
alive and kicking
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

good news , what age is he now ?

Only 26. Has enough talent to be at least as a squad member for Ireland.

He never seemed to recover from Keane rubbishing him during their respective times at Ipswich, so I doubt if he'll ever make any squad with Keane involved.
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 2:03pm
Guy has no pace which is a major problem. Remember being at Ipswich v Millwall years ago with him, Supple and Barry Cogan on the pitch.
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by rainpaulo rainpaulo wrote:

Back with a manager that thinks he doesnt have what it takes for a higher level and frooze him out at previous club...odd move.

Garvan and Holloway had a barney just before the 25 man squad over what a lot of the players that had earned promotion thought was preferential treatment being given to new players who weren't putting it in on training yet still getting picked. He probably should have waited until the squad was picked before speaking up because that cost him his place but Holloway went on record pretty much agreeing with him just before he left and both men were big enough to shake hands on it and put it behind them long before Holloway took over at Millwall.

As for those saying he should have moved earlier, he was injured up until January, do any of you actually try and glean a bit of knowledge about a topic before diving in?
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 11:32pm
Matic also has no pace,  but he is quality on the ball and lefty as Garvan
rainpaulo View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainpaulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by rainpaulo rainpaulo wrote:

Garvan and Holloway had a barney just before the 25 man squad over what a lot of the players that had earned promotion thought was preferential treatment being given to new players who weren't putting it in on training yet still getting picked. He probably should have waited until the squad was picked before speaking up because that cost him his place but Holloway went on record pretty much agreeing with him just before he left and both men were big enough to shake hands on it and put it behind them long before Holloway took over at Millwall.

As for those saying he should have moved earlier, he was injured up until January, do any of you actually try and glean a bit of knowledge about a topic before diving in?

Get over yourself ffs.
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 2:07pm
This guy is quality only in the english league this guy is not playing, he is top notch,   only a donkey like Trap wouldnt play him, and preferred the likes of Cox and Keogh in midfield, in midfield!!   Someone said that he is slow, Pirlo, Riquelme, Kaka are all slow players but they use the head,  couldnt believeball  players like him, or this new kid O'kane aint capped yet and some donkeys have like 30 caps

One of the biggest mistakes that Giovanni Trap did to irish football was not taking the youngsters into account, he didnt test attacking players in friendlies,  now the playing pool it has been reduced because of age, with some players in the end of their carrers,

A joint midfield of Garvan-McCarthy-Hoolahan, that is what ireland needs, to play the f**king ball, plus one direct player on the left like mc clean or brady and one on the right like pilkington or mcgeady,

Edited by JAVIER - 19 Mar 2014 at 2:08pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by JAVIER JAVIER wrote:

This guy is quality only in the english league this guy is not playing, he is top notch,   only a donkey like Trap wouldnt play him, and preferred the likes of Cox and Keogh in midfield, in midfield!!   Someone said that he is slow, Pirlo, Riquelme, Kaka are all slow players but they use the head,  couldnt believeball  players like him, or this new kid O'kane aint capped yet and some donkeys have like 30 caps

One of the biggest mistakes that Giovanni Trap did to irish football was not taking the youngsters into account, he didnt test attacking players in friendlies,  now the playing pool it has been reduced because of age, with some players in the end of their carrers,

A joint midfield of Garvan-McCarthy-Hoolahan, that is what ireland needs, to play the f**king ball, plus one direct player on the left like mc clean or brady and one on the right like pilkington or mcgeady,

Absolute rubbish post of the week.

Garvan and O'Kane are central midfielders who have a number of players ahead of them.

You can criticize Trap for a lot of things but he played nearly every player available to him.

Actually after reading your post again - I'm not even going to respond to it any further.

Edited by horsebox - 19 Mar 2014 at 2:28pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Absolute rubbish post of the week.

Garvan and O'Kane are central midfielders who have a number of players ahead of them.

You can criticize Trap for a lot of things but he played nearly every player available to him.

Actually after reading your post again - I'm not even going to respond to it any further.

Why bother entertain Javier
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 7:52pm

Why do you compare world class players like Pirlo, Kaka, Riquelme etc to Irish players all the time like Sleepy

Its gone boring at this stage.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 10:33pm
Im just saying that Trap's lack of interest in building for the future shows today's scenario, he wasnt interested in giving chances to young players or some flair players like Hoolahan, Reid, Garvan, Gibson, his work as Ireland boss was average at the most, he gave chances to brutal donkey players that i dont need to name.  And the negativity of his approach is still in the team, as you have seen the other day.   Ireland couldnt revert a result once you are down, you are are down, only once with a minor team, with a Doyle goal in 5 years + under him
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 3:56am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Why do you compare world class players like Pirlo, Kaka, Riquelme etc to Irish players all the time like Sleepy

Its gone boring at this stage.

from an irish felllow ,   Sean Monaghan

@SeanMonaghan_SM

'The fastest player is not the one who runs the fastest,  yet the one who solves the games problems the fastest.' - Cesar Luis Menotti.  WC champion and former Barça manager.  

James L View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 8:48am
Hoolahan and Reid could not be considered for building for the future Javier. 
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 9:04am
Originally posted by James L James L wrote:

hendrick needs to be blooded in but hoolhan and reid can both still play a part,

bringing on one of those two and robbie keane for the last half hour of the game coudl turn a game in our favour.

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 9:40am

Im just saying that Trap's lack of interest in building for the future shows today's scenario, he wasnt interested in giving chances to young players or some flair players like Hoolahan, Reid, Garvan, Gibson, his work as Ireland boss was average at the most, he gave chances to brutal donkey players that i dont need to name.  And the negativity of his approach is still in the team, as you have seen the other day.   Ireland couldnt revert a result once you are down, you are are down, only once with a minor team, with a Doyle goal in 5 years + under him

Hoolahan is 30+
Reid is 30+

The team Trap built will be very similar to the one MON will play.

To say Trap didn't give players a chance is nonsense.

Anyway, Trap is the past so you may as well leave it there.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 10:53am
Originally posted by James L James L wrote:

i meant that Trap never gave chances to young players and flair players and named hoolahan and andy reid as flair kind of players.  O'Kane is one i got impressed the few times I saw him play, lefty, indoustrious, fantastic slippery dribbler, my kind of attacking midfielder,  he just needs to play with better teammates but time is on his side, I heard Villa will sign him for next season, . 

As for Garvan he is really one to consider, really good player to have around the team, lefty midfielders can run the show., he can be Eire next #10, in years to come if Stephen Ireland doesnt come back and time takes Hoolahan and Andy Reid.   The team doesnt need more fast players, you have plenty of them atm, the Eire team needs thinking, clever, tidy, intelligent players like mccarthy, hoolahan, clark, wilson, andy reid, ireland, o'kane, brady, garvan, gibson, coleman, pilkington, mcgeady

Hendrick is another one to have ready to play, but he is more of a cut central defensive midfielder, one to bring more games on board,

If you ask me where to change for new faces, it is in the midfield department,  bring new options like Hendrick, Garvan, O'Kane, McCann, then Gibson when ready. 

Edited by JAVIER - 20 Mar 2014 at 11:00am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic