You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Our lowest moment?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Poll Question: What's been our lowest moment in international football?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [14.08%]
9 [6.34%]
18 [12.68%]
74 [52.11%]
2 [1.41%]
2 [1.41%]
17 [11.97%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Our lowest moment?
    Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 8:47pm
Three days later and it still doesn't feel any better. We've been wallowing in misery ever since.Let's go the whole hog and compare and rate our despair. It might even be cathartic. It probably won't be, but still.

Edited by TonyNotJack - 17 Nov 2017 at 9:59pm
Sponsored Links

PhilliyK View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 8:53pm
San Marino
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 8:55pm
Thierry Henry.....never forgive......never forget.
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:00pm
Paris 09. Felt devastated and empty for days after.
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:22pm
Has to be Cyprus.
In 2009 we were low but we still had pride, we still had a decent rep
1874eire View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1874eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:23pm
1999, 2009 and Euro 2012 were all awful in their own way. Although this doesnt feel as bad right now I fear that in time it will prove to be much worse. 1999 was an absolute sickener in the sense that we had already qualified for Euro 2000 only to shoot ourselves in the foot by not clearing a corner. However, I think that failure played some part in galvinising that team into the tight unit which performed so well in qualifying for 2002. We had some exciting young premier league players and a world class midfielder approaching his prime. Similarly in 2009 we still had a smattering of quality players and were confident heading into the Euro 2012 qualifiers. Right now I feel much the same way I did after the Euro 2012 matches. The same things were said in the build up (heart, courage, etc will stand to us, we ALWAYS do well when it counts), we got a similar kind of beating and the same things are being said now in the aftermath. This is worse because unlike in 1999 or 2009 there are no real quality premier league players left or coming through. We cant look forward to the next campaign with optimism like we did before. We have a long, hard, bleak road ahead of us and that's it.
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:26pm
What a joy enducing question this is.

Although Paris was tough to take at least we had the grievance of it being completely out of our hands, pardon the pun, to fall back on. We also played incredibly well that night and could be proud of the team. Then those feckin vuvuzelas came along and made me delighted I wasn't at that world cup.

The other night was just a completely depressing and embarrassing annihilation. Almost zero positives to take.

But Cyprus was the lowest point of them all because of how that campaign went overall and how it finished that night.
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:34pm
I'd say Tuesday was very high up the list, in that WC qualification was on the line and the team ended up being humiliated in front of their own fans.

Games like Cyprus a few years ago were much more low profile and with less at stake and the 3-0 defeat to Belgium last year didn't eliminate us.

Paris was more disappointing and frustrating but Tuesday might top it in terms of being horrible and unwatchable.
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:35pm
it has to be  today...because of the high expectations and how it all panned out at the end

as the old poet  Steffano Tallarico once  said a long time  ago/.......  

The past is gone
It went by, like dusk to dawn
Isn't that the way ......
Everybody's got the dues in life to pay....... 

i know nobody knows
Where it comes and where it goes
I know it's everybody sin
You got to lose to know how to win
 DREAM ON
teevo View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:39pm
Henry in Paris was definitely the worst I ever felt after an Ireland match. I was numb and devastated and in disbelief for ages. But I dont think it was a "low" for Irish football.

Now is dreadful, but the fact that it happened in a play-off after some very good away results means we "achieved" to some very small extent by progressing past the group if only to the play-off so its not as low a point as some others. Similarly 2012 was a bit of a success because we actually qualified, which as we know is not the norm, so I dont see that as a low.

Saipan was horrible, a real low for Irish football but it was an individual or individuals and the FAI who were at fault but not the players on the pitch so its not as bad as the lowest moment for me, which was Cyprus.

Cyprus was the worst. An abysmal performance, no spirit and it came at a time when most Ireland fans were unhappy with the managerial appointment. Those Euro 08 qualifiers in general were awful and this was the worst moment of them all.
max View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

My new name is Wax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:39pm
Pari 09, would rather be humiliated than be cheated.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:40pm
2005 against Switzerland. Felt terrible, we were gutless that night. Had a row with my now wife that night because I had go at some chap walking out of the ground because he was laughing.

Felt really low on Tuesday as well but I felt we were gone as soon as Denmark scored their second. Paris 2009 was bad but had a lot of pride in the team that night.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:42pm
Cyprus , goodness glad i wasn't there .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

2005 against Switzerland. Felt terrible, we were gutless that night. Had a row with my now wife that night because I had go at some chap walking out of the ground because he was laughing.

Felt really low on Tuesday as well but I felt we were gone as soon as Denmark scored their second. Paris 2009 was bad but had a lot of pride in the team that night.

Good call. That was absolute muck.
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:48pm
For me it would be Cyprus but Euro 2012 that would be my lowest moment on a personal note. I was 15 during the 02 World Cup and missed the Germany game due to exams. Couldnt drink either when I was off and my dad wasnt into going to bars. Then when we qualified for the euros I booked all the game dates off work, couldnt wait to watch the matches in the bars. Wanted to go to Poland but no fecker would go with me- anyways it was such a dissapointment that tournament took me ages to get over it.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:52pm
5-2 loss to Cyprus was in 2006.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:52pm
Ireland were the lowest ranked team 16th going into Euro 2012 and ultimately came 16th.

A bit of perspective.

Getting beaten 5-2 by Cyprus is a different story.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
stokeirish View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stokeirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:54pm
Have to with the majority here, the Cyprus game
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic