Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Other European Leagues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Other European Leagues
    Posted: 13 May 2019 at 10:36am
  • Bizarrest end to a season? Grasshoppers Zurich. Relegated for 1st time in 70 years. 4-0 down in Luzern, fans moved pitchside & threatened to storm it. Demanded players hand over shirts & socks. Wanted them to crawl back to changing room like dogs, in just pants. Game abandoned

'Kin hell LOL
    Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
    Sponsored Links

HuntysCousin View Drop Down
    Jack Charlton
    Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 5:17pm
    Decent performance from Ajax there, 13-0 LOL
    Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
    Jack Charlton
    Jack Charlton
    I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 10:47pm
    Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

Solid all right. And even better, it was 0-13. Away from home and all Wink
    Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
    Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
    Jack Charlton
    Jack Charlton
    Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 7:24am
    Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

Considering it was only 4-0 at HT it was some 2nd half.

Jack Charlton
    Jack Charlton
    I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 8:00am
    Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

Considering it was only 4-0 at HT it was some 2nd half.

Bizarrely enough, after a red card for Christian Kum in the 52nd minute Ajax scored 4 goals in 5 minutes. VVV obviously struggled with 10 LOL
    Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
    Robbie Keane
    Robbie Keane
    UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 8:23am
    So Ajax really climaxed after Kum went off 
    pre Madonna View Drop Down
    Robbie Keane
    Robbie Keane
    I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 10:29am
    I'm sure that lad was our school chaplain. 
    Jack Charlton
    Jack Charlton
    I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 7:55pm
    Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I'm sure that lad was our school chaplain. 
    Wasn't that Christian brothers Kum?
    Robbie Keane
    Robbie Keane
    I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 3:09pm
    Belgian clubs have voted in favour of merging with the Eredivisie. Dutch clubs seemingly in favour too. It will be interesting to see what comes of this. I think the idea is to merge when current television deals end in both countries in 2025.
    coyne View Drop Down
    Paul McGrath
    Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 3:16pm

Belgian clubs have voted in favour of merging with the Eredivisie. Dutch clubs seemingly in favour too. It will be interesting to see what comes of this. I think the idea is to merge when current television deals end in both countries in 2025.

I think we'll see a few league mergers because of the pandemic breaking clubs financially.

Mexican league are toying with the idea of merging with the MLS as every club in that league is broke to the point they've cancelled relegations in Mexico.
    lassassinblanc View Drop Down
    Paul McGrath
    Paul McGrath
    Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 3:19pm

Interesting alright , you'd like to think the big 3 in Netherlands would still be the front runners if it was to happen but the likes Anderlecht, Club Brugge and Genk would definitely compete, especially if they had a good few prospects coming through.

You'd imagine they'd also get more TV Revenue for a combined league which would help.

nvidic View Drop Down
    Moderator Group
    Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 3:20pm
    That seems a good idea, Balkan league would surely be good as well, albeit to the detriment of the smaller clubs in each national league. 
    Robbie Keane
    Robbie Keane
    I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 3:26pm
    Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

I think we'll see a few league mergers because of the pandemic breaking clubs financially.

Mexican league are toying with the idea of merging with the MLS as every club in that league is broke to the point they've cancelled relegations in Mexico.
    It's very different in North America though.

In theory, leagues like a Benelux league, a Scandinavian league or a Balkan league would be interesting due to geography and history, both social and football, but if this were to go ahead it would lead to all sorts of questions regarding a European super league. As it stands, the big clubs and franchises have it how they want it and UEFA where they want them, but were this to be allowed then UEFA's incredibly weak hand will be even weaker.

On a more local note, it would lead to more take of an All-Ireland league regardless of anyone wanting it or not.

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
    Robbie Keane
    Robbie Keane
    Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 3:32pm
    Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

That seems a good idea, Balkan league would surely be good as well, albeit to the detriment of the smaller clubs in each national league. 

Red Star Belgrade vs Dinamo Zagreb on a regular basis again now that would be  something

Edited by Denis Irwin - 16 Mar 2021 at 3:33pm
    Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
    coyne View Drop Down
    Paul McGrath
    Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 3:35pm

In theory, leagues like a Benelux league, a Scandinavian league or a Balkan league would be interesting due to geography and history, both social and football, but if this were to go ahead it would lead to all sorts of questions regarding a European super league. As it stands, the big clubs and franchises have it how they want it and UEFA where they want them, but were this to be allowed then UEFA's incredibly weak hand will be even weaker.

On a more local note, it would lead to more take of an All-Ireland league regardless of anyone wanting it or not.

The biggest difference tbh is the stature of the clubs. There's a good balance of European level and poor clubs in the Dutch/Belgian clubs for the merger to be competitive.

Meanwhile over in the CONACAF region, a non-Mexican club has never won their CONACAF Champions League in 16 years, the likes of Tigres and Monterrey would just roll over the MLS clubs
    Robbie Keane
    Robbie Keane
    I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 3:44pm

The biggest difference tbh is the stature of the clubs. There's a good balance of European level and poor clubs in the Dutch/Belgian clubs for the merger to be competitive.

Meanwhile over in the CONACAF region, a non-Mexican club has never won their CONACAF Champions League in 16 years, the likes of Tigres and Monterrey would just roll over the MLS clubs
    Like the EPL, the MLS is all franchises. It's a different situation there though.

But it isn't just about Belgium and the Netherlands here. This is the first time that two UEFA members have wanted to join leagues with any real intent. If UEFA say no and the clubs themselves try and force it through, what happens?
    Deco79 View Drop Down
    Kevin Kilbane
    Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deco79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 4:05pm
    Wouldn't like to see leagues merging but UEFA hasn't helped itself by allowing teams who finish 4th in England, Spain, Germany, Italy automatic entry in the group stages of the Champions League ahead of countries like Holland, Belgium where their Champions have to qualify for the group stages even though they are champions  
    wexfordman1 View Drop Down
    Kevin Kilbane
    Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 4:09pm
    Originally posted by Deco79 Deco79 wrote:

Wouldn't like to see leagues merging but UEFA hasn't helped itself by allowing teams who finish 4th in England, Spain, Germany, Italy automatic entry in the group stages of the Champions League ahead of countries like Holland, Belgium where their Champions have to qualify for the group stages even though they are champions  
    +1
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
      Share Topic