You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Official- The Orange State is Dead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 6:34pm
Demographics alone won't be enough (unless completely lob sided). 
At the end if the day it will come down there being a clear standard of living / career prospect benefits that would be almsot guaranteed. Otherwise status quo will be the default option.

The public sector is around 30% of direct employment up there. What would be the plan for those jobs, how would they fall under the Irish public sector after they Nexit? How many jobs would need to be replaced and what would they be replaced with?

You could have a nationalist Catholic that has a nice job at a public company that maybe doesn't want to leave the UK after all for fear of his job, he probably influences those around him to 'remain' as well.

Now, it could very well happen that the UK economy goes into a deep hole and we do alright and there is a revolution from within to rejoin the UI. But I think that rushing a border poll ahead of a big shift in the economic landscape OR the clear will of the people up there would be a bad thing

Edited by t_rAndy - 22 Sep 2022 at 6:36pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

A lot of Cathics are now identifying as Northern Irish and not nationalists.

United Eire still miles off.  A premature referendum would actually do the cause more damage imo.

I would concur with this. A lot of people in the census identify across multiple categories e.g. Irish & Northern Irish, Irish & British etc. I think over time that trend may well continue. 

Irish identity is on the rise almost as quickly as British identity is dropping. Northern Irish identity, whilst rising, is not growing as quickly as Irish.

We should be planning for a boarder poll in 10 years 

Some different figures been floating about

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ci0D8a0IOEv/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Edited by horsebox - 22 Sep 2022 at 8:25pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

The “Northern Irish” category was thrown in as a deliberately mischievous construct. Anyone from Derry, Belfast etc is factually that so you would have literal minded people of a nationalist/ republican ethos ticking that box as well as drum banging Kyle Lafferty types. There is no way of knowing the proportions making up the overall group and the question was designed to that end. What will ultimately seal the fate of this sectarian statelet is the inability of political unionism to reinvent itself sufficiently to include or attract anyone outside the borders of its own inbred paranoid dystopia.

That's it exactly
It would damage this forums' reputation
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 10:47pm
I put down Cafflick on my census form recently but I dont go to mass or anyfink.  Should have put down agnostic.  

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 10:51pm
Bryson and Allister and similar bigots have spent the day telling everyone that they have a lot of Catholic friends who are unionist 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 10:53pm
Norn Iron Census 2022:

Are you:

Her Majesty's subject:
 or
Them 'uns:

Do you spake de olde Ulshter Shcats and dig into a frayed chookie and tinnae coke after a few wee pints with a wee dafty? Yes/No
  or

Do you curry my yoghurt coca cola ye fenian bastard?  Yes/No

Edited by Trap junior - 22 Sep 2022 at 10:54pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 7:27am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

The “Northern Irish” category was thrown in as a deliberately mischievous construct. Anyone from Derry, Belfast etc is factually that so you would have literal minded people of a nationalist/ republican ethos ticking that box as well as drum banging Kyle Lafferty types. There is no way of knowing the proportions making up the overall group and the question was designed to that end. What will ultimately seal the fate of this sectarian statelet is the inability of political unionism to reinvent itself sufficiently to include or attract anyone outside the borders of its own inbred paranoid dystopia.

nail on the head

anyone who thinks a unity referendum is further away after the Census results doesn't understand the North. Not saying it's gonna happen within the next year or two but the identity question in particular, with the Northern Irish option added, highlights the trend. 

But unity will be won not just from counting Catholics in the North. It'll be down to the vision set out for a new Ireland. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 7:29am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Bryson and Allister and similar bigots have spent the day telling everyone that they have a lot of Catholic friends who are unionist 

Neither have any credibility though.

Allister spent 2 weeks eulogising the Queen but didn't get an invite to the funeral and then a few SF did. Raging LOL
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 8:10am
The more the English/ DUP f**k over the North you'll see many of those who consider themselves Northern Irish (mostly the younger generation with no experience of the troubles) looking south and seeing a better future. Its already in motion. Religious and anti everything bullsh*t from the DUP is not welcome from the more Liberal youth and that will be the game changer.

Edited by drog addict - 23 Sep 2022 at 8:11am
Chips don't bounce
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 9:08am
It will be hard to convince a lot of "middle-ground" people in the North to vote for a UI these days. 

All they will read on the news is Housing Crisis this, Heath care crisis that, self-interested politicians. Although these problems exist in the North and the UK of course but they are seen to not be near as bad.

Brexit and the NI protocol actually benefits businesses that export as well so they would want to keep that, that would probably be part of the UI deal anyway. An arrangement for trade between the UK and the Common Travel area. 

In saying that I do think it will happen, could be another decade though. 

Unionism keeps shooting themselves in the foot and SF are being clever and progressive which is helping matters. 
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 10:46am
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

It will be hard to convince a lot of "middle-ground" people in the North to vote for a UI these days. 

All they will read on the news is Housing Crisis this, Heath care crisis that, self-interested politicians. Although these problems exist in the North and the UK of course but they are seen to not be near as bad.

Brexit and the NI protocol actually benefits businesses that export as well so they would want to keep that, that would probably be part of the UI deal anyway. An arrangement for trade between the UK and the Common Travel area. 

In saying that I do think it will happen, could be another decade though. 

Unionism keeps shooting themselves in the foot and SF are being clever and progressive which is helping matters. 

It will be decided by economics

Our infrastructure is sh1t. No GDP percentiles hide it.

We still have raw sewage going into sea. WWTPs operate way over capacity.

Our health service is appalling 

Housing

We have a situation where our best and brightest students plan to leave.

We fix that. We can have our UI

inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 7:33am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

The public sector is around 30% of direct employment up there. What would be the plan for those jobs, how would they fall under the Irish public sector after they Nexit? How many jobs would need to be replaced and what would they be replaced with?

After a successful Unity referendum, you need to have all the institutions which Northern Ireland currently has separately from England, but separate from Ireland. 

So a Northern Ireland Assembly, Northern Ireland Civil Service, PSNI, school system, legal framework. But you’re sending TDs to Leinster House to influence the operation of that instead of MPs to Westminster.

Reunification will be a slow road and having a border poll, followed by Gardaí on the streets of Belfast and kids doing their leaving cert the next day, won’t work.

I think that legal reunification by referendum in my lifetime is an inevitability, but that a 32 Ireland that looks the same is not. 

Edited by inlikeflynn - 24 Sep 2022 at 9:00am
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 9:56am
Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

After a successful Unity referendum, you need to have all the institutions which Northern Ireland currently has separately from England, but separate from Ireland. 

So a Northern Ireland Assembly, Northern Ireland Civil Service, PSNI, school system, legal framework. But you’re sending TDs to Leinster House to influence the operation of that instead of MPs to Westminster.

Reunification will be a slow road and having a border poll, followed by Gardaí on the streets of Belfast and kids doing their leaving cert the next day, won’t work.

I think that legal reunification by referendum in my lifetime is an inevitability, but that a 32 Ireland that looks the same is not. 

I think people need to understand that unification will not simply be the 6 counties folding into the Irish State. We will need to build a brand new natio  state from the ground up. That's actually one of the most exciting parts for me. We right so many of the wrongs of this State in the process.

That's why forums like a citizens assembly or new ireland aew vital important because they will flesh out the what the new state would be.
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 11:59am
Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

Yeah true enough. That is probably how it will play out in the end
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic