FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOffering local help for Vienna

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2007 at 3:40am
Fritzy - do the yaggie bombs taste good over there?

You headin to Charlie P's? Let everyone know who you are and get free booze!
Sponsored Links

ViennaFritz View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2007 at 3:56am
Originally posted by L.Y.A. L.Y.A. wrote:

Thanks Fritz, as a matter of interest how far away is Wombats?

I assume you mean the distance to Charlie P´s:

WOMBATS - The Base is in Grangasse 6 and would be 5km walking distance or approx. 25-30 min.  by public transport, with having to change lines once in between, the times include the walking distances to and from the underground or tramstation.

WOMBATS - The Lounge is a bit nearer to the starting undergoundstation, so its just about 4,5 km or 20 - 25 min. by public transport with having to change lines once in between, the times include the walking distances to and from the underground or tramstation.

Public transport tickets are € 2,20 per ride or € 5,70 for a 24h ticket. A cabride from bothplaces would be € 10 - 12 during daytime, around € 15 at night.

These informations are also valid for the Strawberry hostel and hostel Rthensteiner, as they are all in the same little area of town, its a bit like Lower Gardiner Street in Dublin there.

Greets, Fritz
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2007 at 4:03am
Originally posted by GerKeano GerKeano wrote:

Fritzy - do the yaggie bombs taste good over there?

You headin to Charlie P's? Let everyone know who you are and get free booze!

I will get back to your offer ... I am having a cider ! Tongue

Yaggie bombs, thats Jägermeister and Red Bull, isn´t it, or is that the "Flying Hirsch", I think thats what they call it over here. Funny enough, eventhough Jägermeister is an Austrian receipe (its produced in Germany now), it only became a popular drink again here about 2-3 years ago, before that nobody would have touched it. But you are definetly in Red-Bull country when you are over here, the stuff was invented by an Austrian chemist, and in 15 years, he turned into the richest Austrian alive and is also said to be the richest self-made men in Europe, his name is Dieter Mateschitz. If you are after the local G, Vodka-Red-Bull is one of the most common drinks especially with the ladies.

Greets, Fritz

Edited by ViennaFritz - 31 Aug 2007 at 4:08am
L.Y.A. View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2007 at 5:35am
Thanks again Fritz- will get you a few Ciders on the Friday....

We got an email about an Irish bloke over in Slovakia in July. He said that on a stags out there he was beaten by the door staff of an un-named pub in Slovakia and that some other friends in a different incident were assaulted at a nightclub- again by the door staff?

As Bratislava is so close to Vienna-would you know what the story is with Bratislava-the rest of the lads who went on the reccie trip said it was fine?
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2007 at 5:57am
Important point, and I am afraid partially true, I will get in contact with an old contact of the Bratislava ambulance service, and ask for his opinion, and get you a proper comment during the afternoon.

CU, Fritz
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2007 at 8:03am
OK, I spoke to my friend and we had quite a serious chat about it. The town is preparing itself for the "storm" currently, and I think they will really do everything they can to make this a safe and peacefull event, but everybody travelling there should be aware that they will only tolerate a certain amount of nonsense.

To the problem with agressive bouncers: Martin agreed that over this years spring and summer, the problem has been more severe then in previous seasons. On average, they have to take approx. 3-4  english-speaking clients to hospitals per weekend-night, due to both just alcohol-intoxication or due to injuries resulting from bar- and streetfights. According to him, the reason are to be found on both sides:

On their side, the city has reduced the number of police-officers in the town, and this has lead to more and more bar-managers hiring extra security-staff. Most of the people doing these jobs are either former police-officers, who became victims of this saving, and are now on the dole, or there are still many former ex-czechoslovakian federal-army soldiers standing at the doors, who also lost their jobs when the two countries seperated, because they might have been e.g. Czechs who lived around Bratislava and weren´t willing to move to the Czech republic with their families. In general these fellows are experienced, they look impressive and they know their regulars, but most of them only speak very little English and they are also lacking most of the modern techniques that western doormen would use, like de-escalation, talking somebody down ... they are trusting their fists and battons more in these cases.

On the other side, Martin said that due to high number of cheap airlines serving the town now, they are getting their more than fair share of especially stag-partys from England and Ireland now (without beeing able to tell the difference) , and he thinks that some locals think that it is already too much. The locals e.g. experience problems getting a room or a big table for a birthday in the bars in the oldtown, because the bar-owners prefer to give the reservations to tourist-parties, because they tend to drink more expensive drinks and spend more money for lapdances and such stuff ... Also, he told me that one of the biggest problems is the way in which many foreigners treat the local women. Eastern European women are generally very open to foreigners, they enjoy a chat and will give you a very welcome feeling quite quickly, but that is not because they fancy you or they want more from you, its just the way they were brought up during communist- and post-communist times, which was very liberal and independent and definetly more emanzipted then in many other counries. If a girl in Bratislava or Prague allows you to invite her for a drink, or share a table with her in a bar or something like that, this doesn´t mean anything else then that, and should not be seen as an invitation to take quick steps forward, she might not even be single or searching ... And of course, drinking is a major problem as well, some boys just overdue it by far, and while the beer ist still dead cheap for us, the price has about doubled in the last 5 years for the locals, without their salaries rising in the same way. And it doesn´t really make you more sensible towards the cultural differences, nor does it keep you aware of possible troubles coming up .... Besides that, many Czechs and Slovakians are accousing the tourists for the enormously quick rising prices especially in bars and restaurants in the tourist-towns, and many young local students can no longer afford going out every weekend, while they have to watch hords of drunken foreigners strolling through their towns every night singing and chanting and throwing around money like there would be no tomorrow ... keeping in mind its no wonder that especially late at night in bars, these problems might lead to one or two clashes at night, and if you now add drunkenness, language difficulties and problematic security-staff, thats a receipe for disaster.

But all in all, we both thought this shouldn´t keep anybody from going there, because comparing the numbers of people that are their, and the small number of incidents, its still a relativly peacefull town. Just be carefull, try to stay at least partially sober enough to be still in controll of what you are doing, accept a NO as an answer if you get it, and just try not to behave like an idio but like a guest. A "Sorry, but I don´t speak your language" just gets you more friends and more likely through the door then a "Hoy mate, you´r e not speakin any f... English here ?" Thumbs%20Up

Greets, Fritz

Edited by ViennaFritz - 31 Aug 2007 at 8:08am
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2007 at 8:16am
Just adding a few lines about the security situation in Vienna:

Its a gem ! Vienna is amongst the safest towns of the world, some might call it boringly safe. Some really big places have security and bouncers, but thats more to check for age-ID´s and keep peple from bringing in their own drink to the bars, but hardly ever for fights and real problems.
I was doing the door in Charlies together with a second guy for a while (and we were the only Irish Pub in vienna that had somebody), but the owners gave it up last spring because we had NOTHING to do most nights ... So if you want to be really safe and in drinkers heaven, you might want to consider swapping one party-night up there for one down here, and just catch the vibes from here, I am fairly sure that should be good craic down here as well on the nights before and after the matches ...

Greets, Fritz

Edited by ViennaFritz - 31 Aug 2007 at 8:17am
stiofain View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2007 at 10:40am
Excellent points about the stag parties Fritz.
I've always felt uncomfortable about lads from England & Ireland going over there, throwing thier money about and rubbing the poor locals noses in it in the process. Its bang out of order in my opinion.

Lets hope we and the locals all have a fantastic time next weekend.

Edited by stiofain - 31 Aug 2007 at 10:40am
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2007 at 10:44am
good stuff fritz, cheers

basically , like most places, don't act the yahoo, be vigiland and all will; be ok
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2007 at 12:07pm
yeah good call fritz, bit of craic with the locals and no taking the mickey!. same everywhere really, show the respect you would want if they were in Ireland. (minus the ex-czech military guys to doll out a few straightners though) : )
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2007 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by The Count The Count wrote:

yeah good call fritz, bit of craic with the locals and no taking the mickey!. same everywhere really, show the respect you would want if they were in Ireland. (minus the ex-czech military guys to doll out a few straightners though) : )

Eventhough I have to say I hardly ever saw so many bouncers in bars then in Ireland, might result from me travelling up in the North and the bordercounties quite often, thinking the "Abbey" in Donegal, the "Thatch" in Enniskillen or the "Earth" in Drogheda, and of course the whole Temple Bar area, well you definetly need them there.

CU, Fritz
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2007 at 1:27pm
very true Fritz, exactly the same in TempleBar, same idea with stags everywhere and does seem to be a lot of hassle there at the weekend.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2007 at 1:46pm
Just noticed that I will be in DUB the night of the Germany game to visit some friends - shall better stay away from the center then probably, or wear my most green shirt possible !

Greets, Fritz

P.S.: I assume there is no chance to get a ticket for that night ?
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2007 at 2:09pm
will keep an eye out for a ticket for you fritz, pm myself or GerKeano closer to the game and we'll try sort something out for you!
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2007 at 11:00am
Weather to be expected for next weekend:
At least for Thursday and Friday I can now provide a weatherreport for Vienna and Bratislava:

Its gonna be sh... on Thursday: Follwing a cool-down during Wednesday night, Thursday will be very cloudy, stronger winds and lots of rain to be expected in the whole eastern danube valley region. Morning temperatures around 6°, daytime highs I am afraid will not rise above 15°.
Friday is gonna be slightly better, with less rain and daytime temps. rising up to 20° already again!

Great weather for downing the pints in the pub, but not so good for playing choir-boys on the local squares ... I will keep this updated !

Greets, Fritz

Edited by ViennaFritz - 02 Sep 2007 at 11:00am
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2007 at 11:45am
Bratislava matchday forecast for next Saturday (from weather.com):

Foggy, morning temps. 10° rising to max 22° during the day, 20% chance of rain during the whole day - but its fairly early to call that a safe forecast !

Edited by ViennaFritz - 02 Sep 2007 at 12:50pm
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2007 at 11:59am
good stuff on the forecast fritz, might pack my christmas jumper with me now.
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2007 at 12:29pm
damn...will have to wear socks with me sandals now
I used to be a schizophrenic.......and so was I
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic