You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nuclear power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Would you be for or against a Nuclear Power plant been built
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [64.29%]
10 [35.71%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nuclear power
    Posted: 07 Apr 2022 at 11:27pm
You rarely hear it been discussed in the media. I have always thought that with the new developments in Nuclear Power from safety to nuclear waste that it should be used in Ireland
It would damage this forums' reputation
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 9:00am
I am against. 

It has incredibly expensive start up costs, the site will need to be maintained forever more and the radioactive waste needs to disposed on a continuous basis, probably overseas. Then you have the risk of an accident which on an island our size would contaminate a large % of the land we grow our food on.

Renewables are far more cost effective to build, maintain and carry none of the legacy issues nuclear does. 

Just look at France, 50% of their nuclear power stations are out of action at the moment for one reason or another - but mostly to do with the concerning condition of the plants. EDF are building one in Normandy at the moment which is billions of euro over budget and years behind schedule. The Brits are in the same boat. They've been shutting down reactors early because more and more cracks than expected are appearing in the concrete enclosures around the cores and their new nuclear power plant in Somerset is billions over budget. 

Renewables are the answer. Every home in Ireland should have PV and thermal solar panels on the roof. There should be large scale wind farms in the Shannon estuary and off the coasts. We have an abundance of natural wind and wave to power Ireland. 

It just takes political will and competence. We should have been self sufficient in energy terms by now. 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 9:15am
PV for every home would make a monumental difference. Should be a huge effort to make grants very large and very accessible 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 9:38am
I’d rather burn large sums of cash in my BBQ then pump it into my walls or roof   
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 9:48am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

I am against. 

It has incredibly expensive start up costs, the site will need to be maintained forever more and the radioactive waste needs to disposed on a continuous basis, probably overseas. Then you have the risk of an accident which on an island our size would contaminate a large % of the land we grow our food on.

Renewables are far more cost effective to build, maintain and carry none of the legacy issues nuclear does. 

Just look at France, 50% of their nuclear power stations are out of action at the moment for one reason or another - but mostly to do with the concerning condition of the plants. EDF are building one in Normandy at the moment which is billions of euro over budget and years behind schedule. The Brits are in the same boat. They've been shutting down reactors early because more and more cracks than expected are appearing in the concrete enclosures around the cores and their new nuclear power plant in Somerset is billions over budget. 

Renewables are the answer. Every home in Ireland should have PV and thermal solar panels on the roof. There should be large scale wind farms in the Shannon estuary and off the coasts. We have an abundance of natural wind and wave to power Ireland. 

It just takes political will and competence. We should have been self sufficient in energy terms by now. 

100% agree.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 9:53am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

PV for every home would make a monumental difference. Should be a huge effort to make grants very large and very accessible 

100% 

The cost of PV panels has come down dramatically over the past 10 years. One main issue at the moment is with installers price gouging. A 5Kw system combined with a battery should not cost more than €5k sadly installers are taking the piss and charging 10k or more (after the grant has been taken off). A system of that size would reduce the energy required to power a house which is reasonably well sealed by between 50 & 75%. Pay back would around 10 years, possibly less with the way the cost of home heating oil and gas is going. 

Solar thermal (evacuated tube type) should also be considered alongside PV. My parents have it on there home for the past 15 years as does a neighbour. It provides free hot water from April to October. The system itself is relatively inexpensive to install with little to no maintenance required.

Edited by colemanY2K - 08 Apr 2022 at 9:54am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 9:57am
Other factors to consider, such as selling surplus back to the grid and cheaper mortgage rates in some cases, would make payback a good bit quicker than 10 years as well
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 10:09am

Other factors to consider, such as selling surplus back to the grid and cheaper mortgage rates in some cases, would make payback a good bit quicker than 10 years as well
while this is an option the feed in tariff is paltry, you'd be better off pumping excess into the hot water tank, battery or car. 

going back to the OP nuclear is a dirty technology which is extremely expensive and carries long term legacy issues for me it would be a monumental mistake. anyhow given nimbyism is this country it would be a non-runner from the start, the farming sector alone would kill the idea nevermind the cranks who object to everything left right and centre.

Edited by colemanY2K - 08 Apr 2022 at 10:10am
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 10:11am

while this is an option the feed in tariff is paltry, you'd be better off pumping excess into the hot water tank, battery or car. 

On a good day, like last week, the water tank is full as well as the battery by midday, so you are churning power back to the grid anyways!
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 10:38am

On a good day, like last week, the water tank is full as well as the battery by midday, so you are churning power back to the grid anyways!
sounds like you have a really decent set up. 

does your battery power the home from sunset to sunrise? may i ask what type you have? if the battery hasn't the capacity to last the night then perhaps it may be possible to add another battery or add additional batteries to the kit to power the home to sunrise. its just a pity the feed in tariff is worth so little. 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 10:49am
It's a good system but I'm disappointed I didn't go for a bigger battery. The battery runs all day so if it's full during the day, that's the time to get the washing, drying etc done as it uses zero power from the grid, just what's being produced and backed up with the battery.

I'll check what type it is when I go home

If I ever go with an EV I'll definitely look at extra panels and an extra battery
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 10:51am

How Much Can You Earn From Selling Solar Electricity to the Grid?

It all depends on how many panels you have and how much of your electricity is surplus.

Example: 6kW of solar panels on an Irish roof can generate about 5,500 kWh of electricity per year. If half the electricity is used in the house, and your electricity supplier offers €0.08 per kWh, then you’ll:

• Save €605 by producing electricity for your own needs
  • Earn €220 for your exported electricity
  • Benefit €825 per year in total

me personally i would bank the €220 saving from exported electricity and buy another pylontech 2000c battery. it would be paid back in less than 4 years. the more batteries you have the less power you need to draw from the grid on days when the array is not generating much.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 10:57am

It's a good system but I'm disappointed I didn't go for a bigger battery. The battery runs all day so if it's full during the day, that's the time to get the washing, drying etc done as it uses zero power from the grid, just what's being produced and backed up with the battery.

I'll check what type it is when I go home

If I ever go with an EV I'll definitely look at extra panels and an extra battery
i'm curious to know why you're using the battery during the day as it sounds like something you do regularly. by right the pv should be providing the power for the house during the day and the battery after the sun goes down. obviously if there's limited generation then the battery can be used during the day as you suggest and then charged up again from the grid on the night rate.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 11:03am
Yeah I have 4 panels on front and 4 on the back, so maybe the panels don't produce enough. Saying that, the battery is used very little during the day, just enough that we aren't taking from the grid
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 11:06am
Still though I don't think the selling back is even possible yet. Not sure when that is coming through
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 12:00pm

Still though I don't think the selling back is even possible yet. Not sure when that is coming through
ya not yet. it looks like it will commence some time in the autumn.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 12:11pm
No Nukes in the West please Nuke
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 12:58pm
renewables are the cleanest self sustainable model but those mini / modular nuclear plants that are being developed look an option as part of the supply channels. The gotcha on those could be the supply chain components and who you become reliant on.

Re solar - every house is a stretch but very farmhouse in the country should have them - efficiency and access to the grid the challenge I’d imagine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic