You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

North of Ireland Politics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 979899100101 126>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 6:31pm
yeah so ya know that proposed boris bridge to scotland? well i'm afraid it's about to be killed off...again. 

"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 7:02pm
So much for the 'Boris Burrow.' And to think that by the time it had been completed, both the north of Ireland and Scotland could have voted themselves out of the UK and we would have had another transit route between EU countries built at the UK's expense.
Martiponti View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 8:55pm
I kinda wish a bridge had been started so that I could have had a laugh when it all got washed away, leaving Larne with a stump like Brighton pier.
  That dick Sammy Wilson really thought this was a runner. 
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 4:32pm

MiamiShowband Massacre, carried out by *British Army* soldiers in illegal murder gang aided by failures in *British* police force investigation. https://t.co/DOYvhXg2eV

Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 5:30pm
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 3:27pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 3:34pm
Heard that on the 1pm news.

Those men were put through a terrible ordeal for no reason other that they were nationalists.

Guantanamo Bay stuff
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2021 at 9:44am
Interesting thread on slugger o toole referencing  Paddy Kielty

A shared island means challenging ourselves to go beyond our own comfort zones. What we are prepared to give up to make things better for others, and ourselves.

In this year of centenaries, it’s easy to honour the ghosts of the past, it’s easier to sing a rebel song about a united Ireland than decide not to sing it in order to have one. Yet, we have to be honest with each other about who we are, how we feel and it’s not just trauma that gets passed down, it isn’t just a northern thing.

been saying the bit in bold for years - plenty on the nationalist/republican side need to step back and see the bigger picture
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 12:04pm
Unionists will be Unionists.

The only thing that matters is that they stay in the Union.

In a UI or Shared Ireland, Unionism will cease to exist, no matter what way you dress it up.

Alex Kane would be considered a soft Unionist, who would always attend the SF\UI events to give his perspective etc...

In his words, there will never be a situation whereby he will accept a UI, he does believe it will happen and he will just get on with it but nothing will persuade him otherwise.

Changing flags\anthems all this stuff is irrelevant. They don't want it, they won't accept it and they won't cooperate into this decision making process anyway.

The only thing mildly palatable to them is that they govern themselves. The 6 counties would be a under Ireland control but Stormont would still sit and they would be a separate entity to the 26 but within a UI\SI.

They would treat the Dail as SF treat Westminster, through absenteeism.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 12:43pm
But Unionism won't go away - The desire to still be part of the Union will remain.
The idea would be to try and create an environment where the generations to come would be more comfortable living in an UI even if they would still not want it to be the case. 
If nothing changes then that doesn't happen (as much as I would love to keep our flag and anthem).
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Interesting thread on slugger o toole referencing  Paddy Kielty

A shared island means challenging ourselves to go beyond our own comfort zones. What we are prepared to give up to make things better for others, and ourselves.

In this year of centenaries, it’s easy to honour the ghosts of the past, it’s easier to sing a rebel song about a united Ireland than decide not to sing it in order to have one. Yet, we have to be honest with each other about who we are, how we feel and it’s not just trauma that gets passed down, it isn’t just a northern thing.

been saying the bit in bold for years - plenty on the nationalist/republican side need to step back and see the bigger picture

ClapClapClap

Kielty's documentary series on BBC a few years back was brilliant 
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

But Unionism won't go away - The desire to still be part of the Union will remain.
The idea would be to try and create an environment where the generations to come would be more comfortable living in an UI even if they would still not want it to be the case. 
If nothing changes then that doesn't happen (as much as I would love to keep our flag and anthem).

While I do agree with this, I'm not sure Unionism is here forever. Comments like Arlene's (I would leave if there was a UI) makes me think that Unionism has a real failure of leadership across the board, the community is let down time and again, and I don't know how strong "the movement" truly is. My friend group is very much mixed between unionist and republican background, and while there are some that would simply never vote for a UI, there is a (surprisingly) increasing number of them that would. In that respect, I wonder if Unionism isn't as much of a constant as we think.

But yes from our POV there needs to be an environment fostered that will welcome them in. I've always thought of a UI as a new country that we build together, as idealistic as that may be.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

But how can than happen when they won't come to the table to negotiate?

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Unionists will be Unionists.

The only thing that matters is that they stay in the Union.

In a UI or Shared Ireland, Unionism will cease to exist, no matter what way you dress it up.

Alex Kane would be considered a soft Unionist, who would always attend the SF\UI events to give his perspective etc...

In his words, there will never be a situation whereby he will accept a UI, he does believe it will happen and he will just get on with it but nothing will persuade him otherwise.

Changing flags\anthems all this stuff is irrelevant. They don't want it, they won't accept it and they won't cooperate into this decision making process anyway.

The only thing mildly palatable to them is that they govern themselves. The 6 counties would be a under Ireland control but Stormont would still sit and they would be a separate entity to the 26 but within a UI\SI.

They would treat the Dail as SF treat Westminster, through absenteeism.

HB its not Alex Kanes generation that will be the deciding factor  - they are a lost cause and will never be persuaded though as you say he will accept it and make the best of it . Other will blame the treachery , Westminster , EU , USA IRA for it coming to pass instead of looking closer to home .

But there is a soft unionist vote that could be persuaded a UI is in their interest especially those used to EU membership and all that comes with it if people stop kicking the gate as they walk by.

How does governing themselves work when they have lost Stormont ? some sort of federal arrangment  ? Boycott  the Dail ? to what end ? its where the real power lies on the island 

They havent engaged as the tipping point hasnt been reached nor is likely to be reached in the next 5 years but it will be reached and they will negoiate  

Like i said it would come alot quicker if people seen the bigger picture 

Loyalist bonfires for example  - anybody with half brain knows it evironmenntally damaging, educationally damaging as kids mitch school, turns estates into waste tips and generally is an excuse for antisocial behavior including plenty of unionists  but the more the shinners go on about it the less likely anything will be done about  - my advise would be STFU and let the loyalists sort it out themselves  
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2021 at 6:39pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2021 at 7:27pm
Dan Collins having a field day with their hypocrisy too.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2021 at 8:15pm
But where is this “orthodoxy”. I’ve not encountered it as a mentality and certainly it is not apportioning blame to nationalists.

Edited by Het-field - 23 Dec 2021 at 8:16pm
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2021 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

But where is this “orthodoxy”. I’ve not encountered it as a mentality and certainly it is not apportioning blame to nationalists.

In fairness, I've encountered it so many times.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 979899100101 126>
  Share Topic