Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No easy games in International Football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 4:57pm
I'd agree with much of what Het-field says, although I disagree that Kosovo are whipping boys. I know they conceeded 6 the other night but I wouldn't fancy playing them if we needed a win. Football has changed so much in the last seven or eight years with both tactics and physique that if you watch a game from the mid 90s it doesn't compare. However in 2016, I'd consider 'easy' games to be Andorra, Gib, Liechtenstein, Faroes, Malta, San Marino and maaaybe Moldova at a stretch. Anything else for us is tricky since most sides will be technically better than us so we're at a disadvantage from the start. Even teams like Finland, who used to play an old style Scandinavian game are now playing everything on the deck.

The problem I see is that we've done very little to evolve with football, while the other sides are more street-wise and tactically astute. I remember watching us beat Liechtenstein 4 nil at home in 94 and I think we were two goals up in the first couple of minutes, that wouldn't happen today for sure. The changing order in football means that we need to adapt or fall even further behind. 
Sponsored Links

grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 5:02pm
Only games I would see as 'easy' for Ireland are Andorra and San Marino. Anyone else is capable of scoring against us.
The only way is up
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Only games I would see as 'easy' for Ireland are Andorra and San Marino. Anyone else is capable of scoring against us.

In reality, we are not good enough to have that many "easy" games. However, there are games that we should win easily, even if we don't rack up large numbers of goals. I would include the likes of Moldova in that. While i suspect we will pull over the line tonight with only a little to spare, in Dublin we should be expecting an easy and without qualification 2/4-0 win.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 6:21pm
Bit of perspective after the post-match meltdown Thursday. Georgia might be a team we expect to beat, they may be ranked a hundred and whatever but they're no whipping boys
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 7:20pm
Wales were expected to beat Georgia and didn't . Great result for us but still doesn't make our performance anymore exceptableb
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 10:08pm
Italy were 2-1 down v Macedonia and needed an ET winner for 3-2.

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 10:16pm
I think this is a classic example of a self-fulfilling prophecy. International football is no different to club football, there are great teams, terrible teams and everything in between. That pretty much necessitates that there will indeed be a number of "easy matches". The problem is that when you constantly reiterate the mantra that there are "no easy matches", you start to act under that assumption which obviously has psychological consequences that will impact on your performance....
We're decent enough..
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 10:50pm
Don't think Macedonia away is an easy game for anybody.

YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 10:56pm
Agree there franko, they are ex yugoslav, and they were so good that after the breakup the split nations while not top drawer had to be useful.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 10:47am

After the results over the last few days it certainly looks like they are no easy games in our group anyway. Fairly crazy that Georgia are the bottom seeds in our group. I watched their game in Cardiff and, as a Welsh player admitted in his post-game interview, Wales were very fortunate to get a point at home to them. They are clearly miles better than the likes of Malta, San Marino etc.

I was also thinking that if you didn't know anything about European football and you watched the first three rounds of fixtures in our group that it wouldn't be too ludicrous to come to the conclusion that Georgia were the strongest side in the group. Very unlucky not to win at home to Austria, definitely should have got something away to us and again unlucky not to beat Wales away. They look to get the ball down and play all the time.

Every team in the group should be beating Moldova at home but apart from that fixture everything else is either tough or a potential banana skin. We probably have the most interesting group in qualifying.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

After the results over the last few days it certainly looks like they are no easy games in our group anyway. Fairly crazy that Georgia are the bottom seeds in our group. I watched their game in Cardiff and, as a Welsh player admitted in his post-game interview, Wales were very fortunate to get a point at home to them. They are clearly miles better than the likes of Malta, San Marino etc.
Been saying for a while that they're miles better than their seedings, and the fact that they're 6th seeds means they always get underestimated by opponents and fans/media.
RayHoughton View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayHoughton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 12:51pm
MON was very defensive over our point against Serbia. Not an easy place to travel too, the old Austrians can vouch for us on that front. But there is no easy game in our group.We hope we don't drop silly points at home to Serbia or Macedonia
George 'The Baggio brothers, of course, are not related' Hamilton

Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by RayHoughton RayHoughton wrote:

MON was very defensive over our point against Serbia. Not an easy place to travel too, the old Austrians can vouch for us on that front. But there is no easy game in our group.We hope we don't drop silly points at home to Serbia or Macedonia

Rather drop them to Macedonia than anyone in our group LOL
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 9:50pm
Not major shocks this weekend, in fact our win in Austria was probably the biggest shock (betting odds wise - 3/1).

Only Estonia (1-8 v Belgium)
And San Marino (0-8 v Germany)
Getting a real hiding.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 9:53pm
Gibraltar only beaten 3-1 by Cyprus and Faroe's only losing 2-0 to Switzerland.

As You Were
Three in a row
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Had Cyprus -2.Dead
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Had Cyprus -2.Dead
Same here, also had the Swiss -2. Never as bad when two of them f**k it up.

As You Were
Three in a row
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 10:27pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Had Cyprus -2.Dead
Same here, also had the Swiss -2. Never as bad when two of them f**k it up.
Would have been a nice one too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic