You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NFL Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 301302303304305 329>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 3:18am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

I think the call to decline the penalty there was wrong. Surely they should have accepted, backed the defence to stop them on first and second, almost forced the throw on third down to make it, and kept the Patriots outside field goal range.

A ten point game is unwinnable with that little time left.

100% correct. Crazy, confused decision.  Not saying it cost them but another little thing they got wrong. 

Delighted for Pats, ultimately Belichick was too smart for Mc Vay. 
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 3:56am
I mean, they were clearly hoping that the field goal would be missed, but it was still an unusual call. The Patriots were already in field goal range and with the penalty, they were 10 yards from safe field goal range, never mind 20 from a first down.

There was still a chance of, for example, a third down incomplete pass on third & fifteen, followed by a punt, and the chance of a touchback. Accept the penalty and best case scenario, backing your own defence, is receiving the ball on your own 20 with 1m15s left on the clock needing a touchdown to tie, or perhaps 30s on the clock if the clock doesn't stop once. Compared to the alternative, which was effectively relying on a missed field goal from straightforward enough range, it seems it was the wrong call.

Of course, these calls have to be made in difficult circumstances but that's the job they have earned. It simply wasn't playing the odds to hope (best case scenario remember) that Gostkowski would miss a field goal from very makeable range of less than 50, getting it back with 1m15s on the clock, compared to the alternative of pushing them out of field goal range, hoping your defence can stop them, and maybe even forcing an incomplete pass on third and long.

If you quickly compare the best & worst case of each, and the likely case, it makes perfect sense to accept the penalty:
Accept:
Best case, Pats run 1st and 2nd, throw incomplete on 3rd and long, punt touchback, 1m15s on the clock starting on the 20, 7 points down
Worst case, Pats get a 1st down and you lose the game
*Likely* case, Pats don't get a first down but you only get 30s, 7 points down, starting inside your own ten, after a punt.

Decline:
Best case, Pats run 2nd and 3rd, kick field goal on 4th and very short, miss the field goal, 1m15s on the clock starting at the 35, 7 points down (only marginally better than the best case above, but also a bit more likely)
Worst case, Pats get a 1st down and you lose the game (equally bad but also a lot more likely than above)
*Likely* case, Pats either get a first down (and you lose), or they score a field goal, and you are 10 points down, with 1m15s or so on the clock (a lot, lot worse than the above, and really the likeliest outcome by a distance).

It's a lot to game those scenarios on the sideline in a very short period of time, but the right call was to accept the penalty. Even if the Pats got back into field goal range, it would have been very long range.

I get it was a high risk, high(er) reward strategy, but I thought even at the time it was the wrong decision. The risk was much higher than the potential reward.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 04 Feb 2019 at 4:04am
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 10:32am
That was a painful watch, don't remember a worse super bowl 
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 10:35am
Raiders playing in SF next season, while SF play in Santa Clara LOL
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 10:35am
Mourinho was manager of the Rams was he?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 10:40am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Raiders playing in SF next season, while SF play in Santa Clara LOL

Subject to NFL and 49ers approval apparently but I don't see any issue stopping it.

For Oakland based fans, it could be a lot worse but the whole relocation situation has been a shambles.
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 11:24am
Rams were awful bad, Pats left a lot of points on the field, beween the missed FG, the interception on first drive and the turnover on downs, should have been 17/20-0 ay half time (and felt like it too).
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 11:38am

That was a painful watch, don't remember a worse super bowl 

It was interesting how focussed the media of the game was around Wade Phillips, and his defensive co-ordination. That actually worked reasonably well, but I struggle to recall a QB to be less influential in a Super Bowl  as Goff was. He struggled to make any yardage at all, while Brady and co (particularly Gronk and Edelman) were more effective.

For the neutral or a prospective NFL fan, that would have put them off for life.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 12:27pm
I thought the Rams were from St. Louis? Are there two teams with the same name? 
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

They relocated to Los Angeles in 2016.
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 12:35pm

They moved.

LA - St. Louis - LA

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 12:58pm
What a load of wank. 'Tis only a matter of time before the EPL starts at that too. They can't have any fans then, do they?
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 1:03pm
Rams averaged over 70,000 at each home game this season. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Jesus.LOL
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 1:12pm
Relocating of franchises in US sports has been happening for over a century and is the norm. 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 1:15pm

Relocating of franchises in US sports has been happening for over a century and is the norm. 

I know it happens and, like I have said, they would definitely do it in football if they could. I just will never understand the mentality.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 1:56pm

Jesus.LOL

Doesn't tell the full story, huge amount of away fans at each 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 4:16pm

Jesus.LOL

Doesn't tell the full story, huge amount of away fans at each 
Fair enough.I don't understand American sporting culture enough, nor am I interested enough, to criticise how they do things. It just seems so odd.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 301302303304305 329>
  Share Topic