You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next Republic of Ireland manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: Who will be the next permanent Republic of Ireland manager?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [26.47%]
1 [1.47%]
34 [50.00%]
8 [11.76%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [7.35%]
2 [2.94%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Rustybedsprings Rustybedsprings wrote:

Brendan Rodgers?? Surely worth asking...espec in a few years when MON goes
He is on around 2.5 million a year at Celtic, I doubt the FAI would fancy that. Things could be different when the time comes of course but I am not sure he would fancy international football yet.
Sponsored Links

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:01pm
Rodgers I think has said he'd be interested, but not till he's had a career in club football.
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

What about Steve McClaren?

I'm sure given time and preparation he could perfect a spectacular Irish accent for the press conferences.

I'm going through a few McLaren Irish accents as we speak but all I keep getting is his Dutch one LOLLOLLOL
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:07pm
Rodgers would be a great candidate, but EPL would be top of his agenda when he departs Celtic. At least we would play good football under him. As for Steve McClaren, as Dunphy would say "a spoofer"
FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

He is on around 2.5 million a year at Celtic, I doubt the FAI would fancy that. Things could be different when the time comes of course but I am not sure he would fancy international football yet.

What was Trap on? It was circa €2m if I remember correctly but I could be wrong there. 
El Puto Amo
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:11pm
Think the Ireland job is either for somebody on the way up or somebody who is looking to bow out of club management
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:21pm
Rodgers turned down the North if I can remember correctly around the time that Worthington left. Not a chance he will leave club football.

Chris Houghton be mad to leave Brighton given the fact many would easily see him moving on to a bigger club year after if he keeps them up should have never have been sacked by Newcastle many owners around would see that.

Mick McCarthy would certainly fancy it he wanted it badly after Trap left. Like few others have said we will be in a transitional period and probably will have to accept not qualifying for the next 1 or 2 campaigns Mick would be the man do to this he already done it after Charlton left.

Keane would be interested too I'd say and would have learned a lot as a number 2 and would have much respect of the players.

As for Kenny as much as I loved watching Dundalk past few years think this be a jump to big could see a similar situation to the Kerr era.

All hypothetical really though would MON really be interested in going back into club management it's changed a lot since he was at Villa. He had an awful time at Sunderland think he'd be mad to jump back into the merry go round of Premier league football at his age that's if he'd even get a job at that level again.
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

What was Trap on? It was circa €2m if I remember correctly but I could be wrong there. 
Trap was on about that alright, but times have changed and this would be more as you would have to buy him out and then entice him to leave, the latter being the hardest part as I doubt he has any interest in it.
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 4:57pm
Hughton would be an ideal manager. He worked his way through the ranks. Was shafted by Newcastle, and has bounced back with Brighton. He'll look for a few years clubs in England before International duties.

Like Rodgers, has pedigree, so wait and see. I can honestly say, one of the nicest guys in football.Wink
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

Hughton did a a great job with Newcastle and Brighton ,If he keeps Brighton up next season he might be off to a bigger club, could be an ideal man for the job.
Spot on Hughton was unfairly treated by Ashley he's done a cracking job at Brighton.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Rodgers I think has said he'd be interested, but not till he's had a career in club football.
Well you're half right:

Rodgers told the South Wales Evening Post: 'Managing Northern Ireland is something I want to do at some point in my career for sure.
'It's my country. It's where I'm from, it's where I grew up and it's a country that I love.
'But hopefully that chance will come towards the end of my career, and I hope that won't be for many years yet. I have got too much energy to be an international manager at the moment. Right now it's not something for me.'
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Well you're half right:

Rodgers told the South Wales Evening Post: 'Managing Northern Ireland is something I want to do at some point in my career for sure.
'It's my country. It's where I'm from, it's where I grew up and it's a country that I love.
'But hopefully that chance will come towards the end of my career, and I hope that won't be for many years yet. I have got too much energy to be an international manager at the moment. Right now it's not something for me.'
Spot on.. he'll manage either  North or South internationally. If it's North well and good, South bonus. If we get him for 2020, and Dublin is a venue, c'est la vie.

Ballymena  GAA manLOL
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 5:51pm
When Rodgers was the manager of Liverpool one of his catchphrases in every second interview seemed to be "as a British manager." This always surprised me as a guy from not only a catholic background, but a family that was hugely involved in gaelic football.

Not saying he would never manage us, but he's definitely no James McClean.
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 6:14pm
Brendan Rodgers  is the only irish manager who could lead the team for good....  the same for Marcelo el loco Bielsa.,,,he is the man
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 6:47pm

Well you're half right:

<font style="font-size: 1.2em;" size="5">Rodgers told the South Wales Evening Post: 'Managing Northern Ireland is something I want to do at some point in my career for sure.
<font style="font-size: 1.2em;" size="5">'It's my country. It's where I'm from, it's where I grew up and it's a country that I love.
<font style="font-size: 1.2em;" size="5">'But
hopefully that chance will come towards the end of my career, and I
hope that won't be for many years yet. I have got too much energy to be
an international manager at the moment. Right now it's not something for
me.'
<font style="font-size: 1.2em;" size="5">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2048283/Swansea-boss-Brendan-Rodgers-rules-Northern-Ireland.html#ixzz3nmQ6WrpK

See page 2 of this this thread for more (posts by Mwc and I on 06Oct2015)

I have a feeling Rodgers was just being diplomatic with that answer. I would be astounded if he ever took the job. The money for one would be a pittance to him. Same with the Republic.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Well you're half right:

Rodgers told the South Wales Evening Post: 'Managing Northern Ireland is something I want to do at some point in my career for sure. 'It's my country. It's where I'm from, it's where I grew up and it's a country that I love.

I have a feeling Rodgers was just being diplomatic with that answer.
No doubt he was being diplomatic etc, but it's also in keeping with other things he's said.

In that respect, I'd be pretty confident that his affinity is similar to that of eg Michael O'Neill, Gerry Armstrong, or Jim Magilton etc

I would be astounded if he ever took the job. The money for one would be a pittance to him.
The only way I could ever seeing him taking it would be (a ) if his club career nosedived, or (b ) he had basically gone as far as he could, or wanted, in the club game, and he fancied a nice job for his semi-retirement.

And imo there's no sign of (a ) happening (or anything like it) and as regards (b ), seeing as he's still only 44, that  is likely 20 years or more away.

Same with the Republic.
I'm not aware of his ever saying anything about the ROI job.

I'd like to think that all other things being equal, he might pick us over you.

But I can't see it ever coming to a straighforward/equal choice between the two, so that if simply offered the ROI job, and the terms and timing were right, I'm sure he'd consider it.

Same with the England job, tbh. Wink

Edited by Territorial - 24 Apr 2017 at 7:28pm
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 8:03pm

Well you're half right:

Rodgers told the South Wales Evening Post: 'Managing Northern Ireland is something I want to do at some point in my career for sure. 'It's my country. It's where I'm from, it's where I grew up and it's a country that I love.

I have a feeling Rodgers was just being diplomatic with that answer.
No doubt he was being diplomatic etc, but it's also in keeping with other things he's said.

In that respect, I'd be pretty confident that his affinity is similar to that of eg Michael O'Neill, Gerry Armstrong, or Jim Magilton etc

I
would be astounded if he ever took the job. The money for one would be a
pittance to him.
The only way I could ever seeing him taking it would be (a ) if his club career nosedived, or (b ) he had basically gone as far as he could, or wanted, in the club game, and he fancied a nice job for his semi-retirement.

And imo there's no sign of (a ) happening (or anything like it) and as regards (b ), seeing as he's still only 44, that  is likely 20 years or more away.

Same with the Republic.
I'm not aware of his ever saying anything about the ROI job.

I'd like to think that all other things being equal, he might pick us over you.

But I can't see it ever coming to a straighforward/equal choice between the two, so that if simply offered the ROI job, and the terms and timing were right, I'm sure he'd consider it.

Same with the England job, tbh. Wink

Yeah just mean the Republic and NI couldnt offer him remotely close to even what hes on at Celtic. Just mentioned ROI as its a next ROI manager thread
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 9:24am
MON will stay
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic