You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 421>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 11:20am
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

If he could bring in a strong coach as his number 2, Keane wouldn’t be the worst. We be box office. Would be a great story if he actually did come back and brought us success.
However, there are rarely ever fairytale endings when it comes to being an Ireland supporter in any sport!

Why not just hire this strong coach as our manager instead if he's needed that much. Most people saying they wouldn't mind Keane also add the "but I want to see him bring in a top number two also".

Why not just cut out the middle man and make the tactical savvy coach our number one rather than number two.

Cause we all know he is not really one for the training ground. Not all managers/coaches are the master tacticians. 
Many of them keep things simple enough but are leaders and someone who players will run through walls for. But they are then usually supported by someone that does the grunt work on the training ground. 

Maybe 5-10 years ago but the game has moved on.

So what groundbreaking tactics should our new manager implement with our group of players ? Please explain.
The new manager should be buying into the bigger plan in terms of being aligned with the 16s, 18s, 21s etc in terms of playing style though obviously not being totally limited in terms of having the freedom to being pragmatic where needed in terms of playing formation etc.
Having somebody who is a motivator but doesn't believe in practicing set pieces is not what is needed anymore. 
Sponsored Links

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 11:23am

Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Roy Keane lads, what drugs are you taking?! He hasn't managed a team in over 10 years and will probably fall out with half the team. He's a f**king lunatic, keep him at Sky! I'm actually baffled at that suggestion Confused

We've just had Stephen Kenny and are left with a very uninspiring list of candidates that would make Mike Bassett look like Pep Guardiola. It's not that too far fetched, truth be told.

I don't think any of us have an idea who would be on any shortlist both in terms of who Canham might have on that list or in terms of people interested in the job. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 11:24am

Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

If he could bring in a strong coach as his number 2, Keane wouldn’t be the worst. We be box office. Would be a great story if he actually did come back and brought us success.
However, there are rarely ever fairytale endings when it comes to being an Ireland supporter in any sport!

Why not just hire this strong coach as our manager instead if he's needed that much. Most people saying they wouldn't mind Keane also add the "but I want to see him bring in a top number two also".

Why not just cut out the middle man and make the tactical savvy coach our number one rather than number two.

Exactly. Hard to imagine that lads who follow football closely could, in all honesty, back that charlatan to be our next manager. Mind-boggling stuff. 

I understand where you are coming from but Keane is one of the only Irish people involved in professional football that broke through our mental block of forever thinking everyone is better than us - a mentality compounded by Stephen Kenny recently - just check his post game interview on Saturday. It's 11 lads kicking a ball into a net. We always play with a fear and I think yeah, he might upset a few people along the way but he would make sure our players aren't fearful of the opposition. And that's a significant upgrade on what we have now already.

Your man Ray Goggins was great at motivating people on that Ultimate Hell Week show. I'm sure he'd make himself available.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 12:34pm

Exactly. Hard to imagine that lads who follow football closely could, in all honesty, back that charlatan to be our next manager. Mind-boggling stuff. 

I understand where you are coming from but Keane is one of the only Irish people involved in professional football that broke through our mental block of forever thinking everyone is better than us - a mentality compounded by Stephen Kenny recently - just check his post game interview on Saturday. It's 11 lads kicking a ball into a net. We always play with a fear and I think yeah, he might upset a few people along the way but he would make sure our players aren't fearful of the opposition. And that's a significant upgrade on what we have now already.

Broke through it by walking away from his country when they needed him (not to mention faking injuries over many years to avoid playing). Yeah, fantastic mentality displayed alright.
We're decent enough..
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 12:53pm

Roy Keane would be the same ineptness we have now just with added screaming and players retiring early from international duty.
Sham96 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 1:05pm
Gus Poyet has the best recent record at international level of those mentioned/interested. I would be happy enough if he got the job.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Sham96 Sham96 wrote:

Gus Poyet has the best recent record at international level of those mentioned/interested. I would be happy enough if he got the job.
His competitive wins have come against teams all well lower ranked: Cyprus(103), Kosovo(109), The North, Gibraltar and us twice. He has also drew friendlies with Malta & Lithuania, been beaten by Montenegro and in NL games by Cyprus. 

If he had these results with us, there would be quite a few on here calling for his sacking.

Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 1:30pm
I think this thread shows that Roy Keane would be a far too divisive appointment at a time when if we hire a new manager they need a good few games to show us what they are made of. With Keane the knives would be out from half the support straight away. 
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 1:36pm
Roddy Collins is looking for a gig, but FAI must move swiftly, he is being appointed as a football advisor to a National League club in 2024!
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 1:41pm
Poyet’s Greece performed worse against Holland and France than we were and made absolutely no effort to qualify directly after Stephen Kenny handed them six points. 

Greece had everything fall for them, including a very favourable fixture list, e.g. first game against Gibraltar and last game at home to an already qualified France etc. 

Poyet hasn’t done much in this campaign other than out think a Friday night merchant as some on here would say. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

Roddy Collins is looking for a gig, but FAI must move swiftly, he is being appointed as a football advisor to a National League club in 2024!

He's box office!
We're decent enough..
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

I think this thread shows that Roy Keane would be a far too divisive appointment at a time when if we hire a new manager they need a good few games to show us what they are made of. With Keane the knives would be out from half the support straight away. 

They generally are anyway. Some will give out about anything.
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 3:35pm

Some will not appreciate the "Kennyite" reference in the above! Kevin Palmer is advocating for Chris Hughton.

exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 3:59pm

Some will not appreciate the "Kennyite" reference in the above! Kevin Palmer is advocating for Chris Hughton.

Quote Appointing a blast from the past not the way for FAI to go as they look for a new manager

Pretty sure appointing a member of the management team from 20 years ago could be described as a blast from the past.

Edited by exgrad - 20 Nov 2023 at 4:00pm
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 4:09pm

He would be my first choice. However he is under contract with Ghana so think its a non runner unless circumstances change.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Offerman View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Offerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 4:10pm

You play the cards you're dealt. 

The squads O’Neill & McCarthy had to work with weren’t streets ahead of what we have, but the managers played to a system that suited them. As admirable as it was at the beginning, to me the biggest mistake Kenny has made is trying to implement a slow, possession based style that doesn’t suit the squad he has to work with. We potentially have a decent defence, a few busy midfielders, and a bit of pace going forward. 

Look at what Scotland have produced over the last few seasons under Clarke, solid defensively, high press, counter attacking football…a slightly stronger squad to work with, but not a million miles away from where we’re at. 

So what available managers could be available and within the budget of what we supposedly have

Herve Renard 

John Eustace

David Moyes (in the not so distant future) 

Sam Allardyce

Steve Bruce

Chris Hughton 

Chris Wilder

Dean Smith

darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 6:39pm
Fai won't need to name a new manager immediately so they could wait to see how Ghana do at the Afcon? 
If they do rubbish Ghana will get rid, and the fai will think 'this is the kind of rubbish we want'
The dark side.. And the light
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 7:23pm

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Roy Keane Jesus lads really gave you forgotten he was still no 2 to o Neill during the turgid years and he said and done Fuk all about it when it stank the place out 

Either he seen it and said nothing or he didn’t see it and is blind 

Turgid years LOL

Short memory NR.

Not really BB Everyman and their dog knew the home defeat to Denmark in the playoff should of been the end but o Neill and Keane and their salaries presided over not just sh*t results but sh*t performances as well with o Neill post match interviews leavving you wondering what game he had watched 

A high point being outplayed at home by a sh*t NI team in a friendly 

We need a coach/ tactician not a motivator 

Plenty of coaches on the continent and the salary is competitive 

'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 421>
  Share Topic