You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 421>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 11:45am
pick the guy who'll pick szomdics. then we will win again
Sponsored Links

FredRincon View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredRincon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 11:55am
Carlos Quieroz?    Seriously? 

Recently he managed to not qualify with Colombia. I follow them closely and he was abysmal . He is past it and is just cashing cheques in Qatar- one of the few teams Stephen Kenny managed to get a win against. 

We need someone who will put manners on our squad. We are a soft touch at the moment so even though I don't like him myself , I would give it to someone like Duff who will hopefully give us a sound shape and stop the rot of throwing games away which Kenny has embedded.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

If Eustace could be persuaded he'd do for me. Was doing a very good job with limited resources at Birmingham before being rudely ejected by the Tom Brady consortium for Rooney who hasnt won a game since. Of the semi-realistic options (and I'm not convinced we even have the £1mn per annum it would take to lure a decent Championship manager), I think he's the best available. His record at Birmingham against the backdrop of a complete sh*tshow was impressive and he already has a little experience of the Irish set up which is a plus.

Already walked for a club job from us.
And if he did well, will absolutely walk again to the first offer he likes. Even if as before, it was only five months later. 
Will have options in his chosen division soon ( which again - he walked from the Irish set up for once already ) 

I'm aware, I stand by what I said - "If Eustace could be persuaded".

I realise it's a long shot, we pay Kenny €600k per annum, the average wage of a manager in the Championship in England is £1.2mn. more than twice as much. Unless we find a benefactor a la Dobbie then Eustace and probably Carsley are likely out of the picture. 

Obviously if we did give the job to Eustace we would be looking for assurances - it's one thing walking away from an asst mgr position, walking away from the senior manager role would be a different kettle of fish and much less likely imo if he decided to take the job.

We are likely looking at retirees or lads who havent reached as high as Championship level yet in their club careers. I dont think Renard or Petkovic come near us for €600k a year.

Idah Dream!
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 11:59am
Originally posted by 84ccfc84 84ccfc84 wrote:

Sammy as player manager?
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

Sammy as player manager?

now we're talking
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 12:10pm
Mark Hughes is a Blackburn legend, maybe he would bring in Sammy?

In all seriousness, he probably is worth giving a call to

Edited by t_rAndy - 19 Nov 2023 at 12:10pm
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

Eustace for me, but if we are genuinely broke, I honestly have been impressed with Duff, I think if we have to take a gamble, he's the best option rather than a Roy or Robbie Keane. I would point out that I dont support a Dublin LoI club, so I dont have any baggage from that pov. As an outsider looking in, he seems to have created a very solid outfit at Shelbourne and I have no problem with his straight talking, the FAI probably need a bit of a kick in the hole.
He has a bit of a needle with the FAI that led him to quit the management team? 

Don't think either Eustace or Duff did enough in their coaching roles with us (which we can see now, Kenny was really dependent on) to make them attractive candidates. Duff is also unreliable and wouldn’t be able to cope with the criticism - and is also an awful moaner - no thanks. 

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Mark Hughes is a Blackburn legend, maybe he would bring in Sammy?

In all seriousness, he probably is worth giving a call to

A 38% win rate in league Two over 80 games with Bradford, sacked with them lying in 18th place. We can hopefully do better! If this is the kind of market we are operating in then I'd prefer Duffer!
Idah Dream!
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 12:22pm
duff unreliable? where has this come from? bizarre thing to come out with
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Eustace for me, but if we are genuinely broke, I honestly have been impressed with Duff, I think if we have to take a gamble, he's the best option rather than a Roy or Robbie Keane. I would point out that I dont support a Dublin LoI club, so I dont have any baggage from that pov. As an outsider looking in, he seems to have created a very solid outfit at Shelbourne and I have no problem with his straight talking, the FAI probably need a bit of a kick in the hole.

Don't think either Eustace or Duff did enough in their coaching roles with us (which we can see now, Kenny was really dependent on) to make them attractive candidates. Duff is also unreliable and wouldn’t be able to cope with the criticism - and is also an awful moaner - no thanks. 

Ireland won two, drew two and lost twice during Eustace’s brief stint, including a 2-2 draw with Belgium and the 3-0 win over Scotland. They Also lost 1-0 away to Armenia and 1-0 at home to Ukraine, won 1-0 home to Lithuania and drew 1-1 away to Ukraine - not a bad record tbf. Duff's record wasnt great, but it was against the backdrop of the Covid restrictions. Happy to hear your preferred candidates!

Edited by John Nice - 19 Nov 2023 at 12:29pm
Idah Dream!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 12:27pm

Do you not remember that he walked away from his coaching job with us over a video? That is pretty unreliable in my book. If things don't go well, first  thing that doesn't go his way as Manager that he can pin the blame on someone else on, he would be off on some point of principle. 

You have come out with a few bizarre things yourself in the last twelve hours so wouldn't be throwing around statements like that. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 12:32pm

Why would you be looking at their coaching roles with us to see if they'd be attractive candidates.

Especially when Eustace went and managed at a level in which a lot of our current players are/have played their football. Just look at the state of Birmingham since they needlessly sacked him.
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 12:35pm

Do you not remember that he walked away from his coaching job with us over a video? That is pretty unreliable in my book. If things don't go well, first  thing that doesn't go his way as Manager that he can pin the blame on someone else on, he would be off on some point of principle. 

You have come out with a few bizarre things yourself in the last twelve hours so wouldn't be throwing around statements like that. 

so what? he thought the whole situation was a joke and by the sounds of things he was right to take a stand. lads using the wembley-gate thing to show duff as unreliable but leaving out all the work hes done at underage and now senior at league of ireland level. the chap seems pretty reliable to me. would take him in a heartbeat over someone like mark hughes, hughton or lennon.
Sham96 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 12:36pm
I wouldn't be surprised if the FAI take the cheap option and appoint some type of "interim" manager hoping it works out. Drag out the process for as long as possible.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Why would you be looking at their coaching roles with us to see if they'd be attractive candidates.

Especially when Eustace went and managed at a level in which a lot of our current players are/have played their football. Just look at the state of Birmingham since they needlessly sacked him.

Because looking back, Kenny was very dependent on having a good coach and the coaches appeared to have a lot of influence (particularly Anthony Barry). 

Maybe with more time Eustace would mould us into something good and to be fair, as John pointed out above, it wasn't a very long or terrible stint as coach with us. 
The Tribesman View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Tribesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 12:51pm
I'm highly unimpressed by the apparent target list!
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 1:24pm
We need somebody that nobody expects.  A left field appointment like Celtic did with Ange Postecoglou.

Some lad from Souf America or summat
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 1:26pm
Duff's a non-starter this time around anyway, needs to show he can stay somewhere for a decent period of time and manage successfully at a higher level before he can be considered for the Ireland job. Same as Robbie Keane I suppose, and John O'Shea too. If we're going down the ex Irish international road Carsley and Hughton would seem to be the only two realistic possibilities. Absolutely no reason to limit ourselves to ex players though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 421>
  Share Topic