You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345346347348349 415>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rustybedsprings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 11:39am
Kevin McDonald I think was assistant
Sponsored Links

Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 11:39am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by greenlad greenlad wrote:

Can the fai afford a coach with an advisor though, that's what makes me.feel they won't go down that route...

Would assume if you're hiring an advisor then the manager surely is getting paid less than what Kenny was and the advisor would likely be his assistant too. Especially now with the FAI being broke.

Did Stan have an assistant manager as well as Bobby Robson working with him?

From memory, he did have an assistant manger alright....Sir Bobby had some sort of a 'consultative' role (a bit like Kerr's role recently I think).
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by greenlad greenlad wrote:

Can the fai afford a coach with an advisor though, that's what makes me.feel they won't go down that route...

Would assume if you're hiring an advisor then the manager surely is getting paid less than what Kenny was and the advisor would likely be his assistant too. Especially now with the FAI being broke.

Did Stan have an assistant manager as well as Bobby Robson working with him?

From memory, he did have an assistant manger alright....Sir Bobby had some sort of a 'consultative' role (a bit like Kerr's role recently I think).

Kevin McDonald.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Rustybedsprings Rustybedsprings wrote:

Kevin McDonald I think was assistant

What an inspired choice he turned out to be. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 3:06pm
If Roy Keane got it he'd probably bring in Tony Loughlin againLOL
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

If Roy Keane got it he'd probably bring in Tony Loughlin againLOL

Not as crazy an idea as you may think as he was Dyche‚Äôs assistant for many years and last at Burnley for 9 years.  Only left as he had to have a hip operation. 

Edited by Baldrick - 02 Apr 2024 at 3:44pm
AKA pedantic kunt
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 9:48am
Dan McDonnell has a couple of pieces in today's Indo on this.

The first is a news story about how Poyet remains interested - essentially a rehash of the Sneyd piece from a day or two ago. In the story, he mentions that FAI insiders are challenging the idea that Poyet has already been offered the job. 

The second piece is behind the paywall, but makes clear all the Poyet noise is coming from his camp, rather than the FAI.

It seems pretty clear to me that Poyet's preference is to stay with Greece, and he's using our "interest" to try leverage a new contract even though ultimately he's failed to qualify Greece when they were favourites (in the League C playoffs).

Whatever about his managerial record, he seems like a mercenary who would try jump ship as soon as his stock rose. While many managers might do the same, most wouldnt be as blatant about it. I don't think we'd have been impressed if Stephen Kenny had gone to Greece to advertise some beer and hawk himself out for the national team job.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 10:02am
Going for Poyet would be like dumping your wife/husband and going for a hooker because they are better looking.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 10:04am
I wouldn't want Poyet anywhere near us and he, in no way, fits the bill of what Canham was talking about regarding what they are looking for. Although it looks pretty clear now what he has been saying to date, has been misleading to say the least. 
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Going for Poyet would be like dumping your wife/husband and going for a hooker because they are better looking.  

His only genuinely impressive results were against us too (if you can call that impressive). He lost to Cyprus and Montenegro, drew with Malta and Lithuania and obviously was knocked out by Georgia. In terms of teams they beat, it was Romania (friendly), Northern Ireland, Kosovo, Cyprus, Gibraltar and ourselves.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 3:33pm
I am another who wants nothing to do with Poyet. I'd be disgusted if he is the appointed one.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 3:48pm
If Poyet gets the new deal from Greece he is after then his agent will have played a blinder here.
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 3:52pm
Back when Staunton was heading for the exit, the media tried to push the idea of Angelos Anastasiadis, the Cypriot manager, getting the job.

He'd beaten us 5-2 so he should be in the running. I always took it as the media having a little fun at the expense of Staunton.

The Poyet situation seems very similar. Poyet used Ireland to highlight his lack of satisfaction with fans and footballing authorities in Greece, and the media here used him as a stick to beat Kenny with. 

However, this little bit of fun has grown legs - apparently.

What started out as a joke has become real?

Unless Poyet is actually unveiled, then I'm going to assume it was always nonsense.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 5:18pm
https://www.the42.ie/gus-poyet-ireland-2-6343817-Apr2024/

An absolute bengal lancer. The FAI should be running a mile (shouldn't have gotten involved in the first place).
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by giveittochristie giveittochristie wrote:

An absolute bengal lancer. The FAI should be running a mile (shouldn't have gotten involved in the first place).
I think there is a fairly decent chance they haven't
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 5:24pm

"Due to unforeseen circumstances, John O'Shea will now remain interim head coach until sometime in the summer."
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Do you think that the FAI haven't spoken to him? I find that highly unlikely. 

Edited by Badgersboys9 - 03 Apr 2024 at 5:36pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Do you think that the FAI haven't spoken to him? I find that highly unlikely. 
I think he wants to stay with Greece and his agent is trying to up the pressure on them.
Dan McDonnell reporting last Friday there were people briefing him from within the FAI that they have somebody lined up. 
Not all of the media reporting can be correct so I think what's more likely is that the briefing coming from Poyet's agent is made up. But this is all guess work on my part.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345346347348349 415>
  Share Topic