You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 344345346347348 379>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 10:15pm
Roy Keane praised Niall Quinn on the latest Overlap which was slightly unusual timing.  But can't see him getting it.  Canham has backtracked on almost everything he originally said so it may not be a manager with international experience. If it is someone other than John O'Shea. Out of work manager list is probably being scrutinized at this moment. And I definitely wouldn't rule out Roy Hodgson being contacted (if well enough) to work alongside O'Shea. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13123249/Roy-Hodgson-return-football-health-scare-Crystal-Palace-England.html Is this what they have planned Hodgson with O'Shea? 

Edited by Sham96 - 01 Apr 2024 at 10:25pm
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 10:24pm
I think Poyet and Roy would be needless risks for different reasons and given how O'Shea did a fairly reasonable job over the two friendlies along, it probably would be the wiser decision to just give him a 2 year contract with a possible extension to the EURO 2028 campaign. 

That's assuming we've no better candidates than any of those three. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sham96 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I think Poyet and Roy would be needless risks for different reasons and given how O'Shea did a fairly reasonable job over the two friendlies along, it probably would be the wiser decision to just give him a 2 year contract with a possible extension to the EURO 2028 campaign. 

They will give it to O'Shea but only with a "minder" hence the reason Canham brought in Kerr for the two friendlies. Kerr said he is now finished and will take no further role. Yet O'Shea wants the job. So is Hodgson the real "minder" that had contractual obligations? Pure speculation on my part. And I am not a fan of a manager having an advisor. Let us see what happens over the next few days.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Sham96 Sham96 wrote:

They will give it to O'Shea but only with a "minder" hence the reason Canham brought in Kerr for the two friendlies. Kerr said he is now finished and will take no further role. Yet O'Shea wants the job. So is Hodgson the real "minder" that had contractual obligations? Pure speculation on my part. And I am not a fan of a manager having an advisor. Let us see what happens over the next few days.

Hodgson?? WTF like. He quit Palace cause of his health. Of he was inclined to keep a minder as you say he would just keep Kerr on. 
I love beer gardens
Sham96 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Hodgson?? WTF like. He quit Palace cause of his health. Of he was inclined to keep a minder as you say he would just keep Kerr on. 
Hodgson is fine and has stated he wants to return to football in a consultancy role. 
Benhur View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benhur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 10:55pm
I would take Hodgeson ahead of Kerr to work with him.. He  has done well where ever he has gone only thing is his health and none of us privy to how his health is 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 10:56pm
Hodgson jesus f**kin wept LOL

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 10:57pm

Definitely not Hodgson imo and would actually rather Kerr being retained by O'Shea as I think if O'Shea got it, he might actually ask Kerr to be involved again. Don't think it would do much harm and Kerr wouldn't undermine him anyway. 

He might make a good go-between the management and players and seemed to have been well received by the players going by Collins's presser during the last camp. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 10:57pm

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Hodgson is fine and has stated he wants to return to football in a consultancy role. 

Well id be fairly sure when Canham was talking about contractual issues he wasnt referring to Roy Hodgson. Call it a hunch..
I love beer gardens
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 11:02pm
As much as I like Roy, this shouldn't happen and won't. The FAI will be aware of the optics and would straight away lead to comparisons with Stan and Bobby Robson. 
Sham96 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

As much as I like Roy, this shouldn't happen and won't. The FAI will be aware of the optics and would straight away lead to comparisons with Stan and Bobby Robson. 
I would normally agree with that and yet they interviewed Lennon, almost certainly got hoodwinked by Poyet and have no manager for their "early_ April announcement. So the optics are already bad. If it is to be O'Shea why bring in Kerr for the two friendlies then for Kerr to categorically state that he is out?:
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 11:44pm

Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

I would normally agree with that and yet they interviewed Lennon, almost certainly got hoodwinked by Poyet and have no manager for their "early_ April announcement. So the optics are already bad. If it is to be O'Shea why bring in Kerr for the two friendlies then for Kerr to categorically state that he is out?:

Kerr himself seemed convinced they have someone lined up for April based on his conversation with Canham during the window. That is probably the main reason why he said he was out. Not sure how much Kerr fancies a longer gigg. Suited him to come back in short term to feel vindicated and get an up close look at the set up and squad which he can talk about/ refer back to in his pundit roles. 

rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 12:20am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Sid Waddell (the banned poster) copped this long before the media picked it up 

Clap

Paul Simon wrote 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover about the PROCESS of appointing Ireland managers. He just didn't know it. Look at the NAMES. 

You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don’t need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don’t need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

That's mad. Mick McCarthy must be wondering what Paul Simon has against him mind.....
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 12:42am
Well the fact the poyet stories have pretty much been confirmed means he told them he was available early April, now has changed his mind so are left with noone, is how i see it
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I really hope he doesn’t get it.  I will always support the manager but if that mercenary gets it I will be as close to doing a murph on it as possible.   
Heart
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 9:27am

Wise decision and John O'Shea do not go together in the same sentence FFS
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 11:00am
Can the fai afford a coach with an advisor though, that's what makes me.feel they won't go down that route...
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 11:37am
Originally posted by greenlad greenlad wrote:

Can the fai afford a coach with an advisor though, that's what makes me.feel they won't go down that route...

Would assume if you're hiring an advisor then the manager surely is getting paid less than what Kenny was and the advisor would likely be his assistant too. Especially now with the FAI being broke.

Did Stan have an assistant manager as well as Bobby Robson working with him?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 344345346347348 379>
  Share Topic