Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 429>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

If people wanted someone who has huge experience and international experience at that and would make us defensively sound is Carlos Quieroz. Even people who dislike him such as a Roy Keane regard him highly as a coach. Currently manager of Qatar.  The football would probably be horrible.   He has an Irish lad as assistant manager Mick McDermott. 

Carlos and Mick are likely raking it in at Qatar and have little ambition of lowering their salaries to come to us.

Again if you don’t ask you don’t get.  

You could ask them daily.
You could ask them every hour on the hour.
They are in Quatar for the money. 

It's you who doesn't seem to get it. 

Sorry I do get it.  The FAI need to identify managers that they think can improve the performances.  They then need to ring around agents to see who is interested etc.  if they are told by an agent that they are not interested that is fine they move on.  But you don’t say no before you have even asked.  Obviously someone like Pep etc is not worth asking but Quieroz is not at that level.  A phone call to an agent to sound them out is always worthwhile.  You never know what can flow from it. You can find out they are not enjoying the job and would fancy a change etc.  You just don’t know unless you ask.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 10:56am
If Eustace could be persuaded he'd do for me. Was doing a very good job with limited resources at Birmingham before being rudely ejected by the Tom Brady consortium for Rooney who hasnt won a game since. Of the semi-realistic options (and I'm not convinced we even have the £1mn per annum it would take to lure a decent Championship manager), I think he's the best available. His record at Birmingham against the backdrop of a complete sh*tshow was impressive and he already has a little experience of the Irish set up which is a plus.

Idah Dream!
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 10:58am
Eustace could be one of those that ticks a lot of boxes but just not having the X factor for some.
He should be interviewed at least. Wonder does he still have club aspirations though. I think he would be high on the list of championship clubs sacking their manager mid season looking for someone with a good record in the championship
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 11:06am

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

If people wanted someone who has huge experience and international experience at that and would make us defensively sound is Carlos Quieroz. Even people who dislike him such as a Roy Keane regard him highly as a coach. Currently manager of Qatar.  The football would probably be horrible.   He has an Irish lad as assistant manager Mick McDermott. 

Carlos and Mick are likely raking it in at Qatar and have little ambition of lowering their salaries to come to us.

Again if you don’t ask you don’t get.  

You could ask them daily.
You could ask them every hour on the hour.
They are in Quatar for the money. 

It's you who doesn't seem to get it. 

Sorry I do get it.  The FAI need to identify managers that they think can improve the performances.  They then need to ring around agents to see who is interested etc.  if they are told by an agent that they are not interested that is fine they move on.  But you don’t say no before you have even asked.  Obviously someone like Pep etc is not worth asking but Quieroz is not at that level.  A phone call to an agent to sound them out is always worthwhile.  You never know what can flow from it. You can find out they are not enjoying the job and would fancy a change etc.  You just don’t know unless you ask.  

Whatever they think of Quatar and their circumstances there, I doubt a fraction of the money in the pis sing rain in Ireland with a still financially incompetent FAI and no midfield & a fan base who demand major finals is the phone call they're hoping for lad. Even if they're crying themselves to sleep at night over there, they'll hang on for a bit because of how much they are earning. 

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 11:07am
Eustace for me, but if we are genuinely broke, I honestly have been impressed with Duff, I think if we have to take a gamble, he's the best option rather than a Roy or Robbie Keane. I would point out that I dont support a Dublin LoI club, so I dont have any baggage from that pov. As an outsider looking in, he seems to have created a very solid outfit at Shelbourne and I have no problem with his straight talking, the FAI probably need a bit of a kick in the hole.
Idah Dream!
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 11:08am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Was just looking at Hughtons club record, he has been rightly screwed over by clubs. Did a great job at Newcastle & Brighton.

I see Herve Renards name being bandied about online.

I'd be happy with Chris as the new Irish manager.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 11:08am
You do know an international manager doesn’t have to live in the country 😀😀😀.  You seem angry so I will leave you to it 👍
AKA pedantic kunt
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Was just looking at Hughtons club record, he has been rightly screwed over by clubs. Did a great job at Newcastle & Brighton.

I see Herve Renards name being bandied about online.

I'd be happy with Chris as the new Irish manager.

I'd be very meh! Not sure at all that his time hasnt come and gone tbh.
Idah Dream!
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 11:11am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

If Eustace could be persuaded he'd do for me. Was doing a very good job with limited resources at Birmingham before being rudely ejected by the Tom Brady consortium for Rooney who hasnt won a game since. Of the semi-realistic options (and I'm not convinced we even have the £1mn per annum it would take to lure a decent Championship manager), I think he's the best available. His record at Birmingham against the backdrop of a complete sh*tshow was impressive and he already has a little experience of the Irish set up which is a plus.

Already walked for a club job from us.
And if he did well, will absolutely walk again to the first offer he likes. Even if as before, it was only five months later. 
Will have options in his chosen division soon ( which again - he walked from the Irish set up for once already ) 
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 11:14am

You do know an international manager doesn’t have to live in the country 😀😀😀.  You seem angry so I will leave you to it 👍

Not the main point I was making but then you think we should go after a guy in his circumstances offering a relative pittance so I will leave you to it also. 
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 11:20am
What's Bob Bradley upto these days?
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 11:21am
I don't think it was unreasonable for Eustace to leave a coaching role with us for a manager job in the Championship. That's a big upgrade in fairness. Having said that though, if he did well with Ireland in the number 1 role there would be a risk of losing him to a lower end Premier League/top end Championship team. But that's a risk we will have to take with any decent manager we bring in. If he does well with us there will be interest from teams that can pay more than we can. But I'd still take that over being managed by a dud that nobody else wants.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 11:22am

Not the main point I was making but then you think we should go after a guy in his circumstances offering a relative pittance so I will leave you to it also. 

It’s the price of a phone call ffs.   You are shooting down ideas.  

Throw up your suggestions there like a good man and they can be sniped. 

AKA pedantic kunt
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 11:33am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Eustace for me, but if we are genuinely broke, I honestly have been impressed with Duff, I think if we have to take a gamble, he's the best option rather than a Roy or Robbie Keane. I would point out that I dont support a Dublin LoI club, so I dont have any baggage from that pov. As an outsider looking in, he seems to have created a very solid outfit at Shelbourne and I have no problem with his straight talking, the FAI probably need a bit of a kick in the hole.
He has a bit of a needle with the FAI that led him to quit the management team? 
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 11:37am

It’s the price of a phone call ffs.   You are shooting down ideas.  

Throw up your suggestions there like a good man and they can be sniped. 

We could ring Saoirse Ronan looking for a lapdance while were at it.

I'd roll the dice on Carsley, a phone call worth making. Could be the innovative and progressive appointment we badly need. 

Failing that, Hughton, he's not the long term answer & the wrong age profile, he'd be similar in age to Trap / MON / Mick II around the time their best years went behind them, but might have a short term improvement in him without resorting to hoofing it. 

Steady things, make things less sh it & hope for midfielders from somewhere and a more exciting appointment the one after. 

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 11:38am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I don't think it was unreasonable for Eustace to leave a coaching role with us for a manager job in the Championship. That's a big upgrade in fairness. Having said that though, if he did well with Ireland in the number 1 role there would be a risk of losing him to a lower end Premier League/top end Championship team. But that's a risk we will have to take with any decent manager we bring in. If he does well with us there will be interest from teams that can pay more than we can. But I'd still take that over being managed by a dud that nobody else wants.
Agree with this. I’d take him no problem 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 11:40am
I think Carsley would be a good appointment too. 
AKA pedantic kunt
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 11:44am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

And it's a risk well worth taken. If someone comes in and takes our manager after one qualification campaign it means he's doing a good job. If that scenario happens then he's left us in a much better position than he joined us in.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 429>
  Share Topic