You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 429>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Next manager
    Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 10:31pm
Who do we want?

Sponsored Links

Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 10:31pm
Can see it been Neil Lennon

It's going to be a big rebuilding job and tough job for the FAI finding someone

Edited by Healy52003 - 18 Nov 2023 at 10:32pm
Realrover View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 10:34pm
This has been so bad and depressing I'd be ALMOST happy to see Lennon get the job. I can't take another Kenny interview. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 10:38pm
If we are lucky Carsley, but more likely it will be either Lennon or Bruce and a return to direct football bypassing the midfield which is probably what is required tbh, you cant get blood from a stone - Kenny tried and there's no point without competent passers of the ball in midfield, I think his tenure has proven that and believe me, I'm somebody who would like to see us play a bit of ball. Unless the likes of Hodge, Akachukwu, Moran, Smallbone, Azaz all progress rapidly, the next manager may organise the defence and just play on the counter off Ferguson using the pace of Ogbene and Ebosele on the break.
Idah Dream!
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Unless the likes of Hodge, Akachukwu, Moran, Smallbone, Azaz all progress rapidly, the next manager may organise the defence and just play on the counter off Ferguson using the pace of Ogbene and Ebosele on the break.

I think that's an astute point:

The player-pool of Ireland has changed in the past 5 years, and we now have genuine searing pace in the team.  (Was there an Opta stat the other day that Ogbenne has been the fastest player in the PL this year?) 

Anyway that gives us the option of a counter-attacking style, as well as everything else.  

Like McClean's goal in Vienna.  Also at a time, oddly enough, when we had real pace (Long being fastest and McClean being 5th fastest players in the PL around that time), though we didn't set up to exploit that.  
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 10:57pm
From the other thread

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Realistic options for me with the salary the FAI have to work with thats not a washed up has been looking for one last big pay day like Big Sam, Steve Bruce, Mark Hughes etc..

Lee Carsley (England U21)
John Eustace (Available)
Mark Kennedy (Available)
Chris Coleman (Available)
Damien Duff (Shels)
Robbie Keane (Macabbi Tel Aviv)
Brian Barry-Murphy (Man City U23)

...and complete left fielders Im throwing out there for the sake of it LOL

Herve Renard (France WNT) - Highly experienced International manager having won the African cup of nations with Zambia and Ivory Coast as well as qualifying Morocco and Saudi Arabia for 2 World Cups. Currently manager of the France Womens team but his contract only runs until August 2024 and hes reportedy only on €400k (€200k less than Kenny) and has worked for similar money in Africa.

Fernando Santos (Available) - Available after being sacked as Poland manager (Their most expensive appointment at €2m a year Shocked) but having flopped there would probably have to settle for less elsewhere. We all remember him most for winning Euro 2016 with Portugal but it was his time as manager of Greece I think he done best with a limited squad like ours having guided them to the quarter finals of Euro 2012 and the last 16 of World Cup 2014.

Vahid Halilhodzic (Available) - Vastly experienced International manager having guided Morocco, Algeria, Japan and Ivory Coast to World Cup finals. (Alas only managed at one finals as he had falling outs with 3 of the 4 FAs). So bit of head banger but an experienced one with a track record at least LOL

Renard would be my own pick but if its going to be someone closer to home from the realistic list I put together then Id opt for Carlsey, Eustace or Coleman in that order.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Unless the likes of Hodge, Akachukwu, Moran, Smallbone, Azaz all progress rapidly, the next manager may organise the defence and just play on the counter off Ferguson using the pace of Ogbene and Ebosele on the break.

I think that's an astute point:

The player-pool of Ireland has changed in the past 5 years, and we now have genuine searing pace in the team. (Was there an Opta stat the other day that Ogbenne has been the fastest player in the PL this year?) 

Anyway that gives us the option of a counter-attacking style, as well as everything else.  

Like McClean's goal in Vienna. Also at a time, oddly enough, when we had real pace (Long being fastest and McClean being 5th fastest players in the PL around that time), though we didn't set up to exploit that.  

Honestly it's not the worst idea. We have two of the fastest players across the five top European leagues. We actually do have decent defenders if they were playing in a setup that gave them any protection at all. We have a seriously promising striker. And a goalkeeper who seems to save his best games for when he's playing for us. We also have hard working but very technically limited midfielders. Surely it doesn't take a genius to come up with a sensible setup from that.

Stay compact, protect the defence with at least two sitting midfielders that you're not expecting any creativity from. Be patient and wait to win the ball back and then attack with pace on the counter. Stop trying to play slowly through the midfield when we obviously haven't the players who can do that. We have the striker to finish a good percentage of the chances we might then create. It's not f**king rocket science.

Edited by You Tell Me - 18 Nov 2023 at 11:01pm
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 11:05pm
Might not be a very popular opinion but believe the time is right for Robbie Keane provided he brings a decent coach with him. 

Can't see us getting Carsley and the rest on the list are pretty uninspiring apart from Renard. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 11:07pm
Greece can go ahead and sack Poyet now because we've knocked them out of the group tonight.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Might not be a very popular opinion but believe the time is right for Robbie Keane provided he brings a decent coach with him. 

Can't see us getting Carsley and the rest on the list are pretty uninspiring apart from Renard. 

Robbie's managed about 10 games in his to date. Not sure why you'd think the time is right on that basis 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Robbie's managed about 10 games in his to date. Not sure why you'd think the time is right on that basis 

True. Very little experience overall but if he keeps going the way he started by the time it takes us to appoint someone he would be a good shout. Think he is pragmatic with a personality big enough for the job. Would be a risky appointment but in imo better than most on the list. 
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 11:15pm

Is it be possible to be worse than Kenny and Stan? Yes, Robbie Keane.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

Is it be possible to be worse than Kenny and Stan? Yes, Robbie Keane.

On what basis? Has more experience than Stan and certainly more exposure and international experience than Kenny will ever have. Spent a campaign learning on the job as an assistant. People were saying John o shea should step in on an interim basis a couple of months ago - Robbie would be far superior to O'Shea 

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 11:27pm
Right now we dont need O'Shea or Robbie. Robbie is doing a good job so far in Israel so he may be an option down the road. Not right now.
I love beer gardens
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

DIV]
Renard would be my own pick but if its going to be someone closer to home from the realistic list I put together then Id opt for Carlsey, Eustace or Coleman in that order.

Renard would be a coup of a signing given his international experience. Think he'll have a few teams after his signature when the Olympics is over.

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 11:32pm
Vladamir Petkovic defo but doubt he would go near us
I love beer gardens
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 11:32pm
It depends on the financial situation the FAI is in. Can it afford to pay for Carsley? If we can then he is the outstanding candidate and if interested it has to be him. Failing that we are into the unattached market or LOI market. Steve Bruce was mentioned and he wouldn't be the worst appointment. Neil Lennon I would stay clear of. Same with Roy Keane. John Eustace, Mark Kennedy not ready yet for me. Poyet huering himself turned me right off. You could go left field for a Petkovic or the like but that would be a gamble.

For me Lee Carsley would be first choice as a fairly exciting appointment. An excellent coach and very good tactically. If we can't afford him or he isn't interested then we could do a lot worse than Steve Bruce who would in my opinion be a safe pair of hands.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 11:46pm
try to get Carsley, if not go for renard. But of course they will wait until next summer to make an appointment 
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 429>
  Share Topic