37 [15.88%]
27 [11.59%]
4 [1.72%]
11 [4.72%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 1:58pm
Although interestingly in the poll above he is 3rd after Mick, who I doubt the FAI would approach and Hughton who I doubt would want it
Sponsored Links

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 2:01pm
Rather strange seeing people dismiss Big Sam as a manger tbh Confused

We are as unfashionable as it comes, yet when you look back over his career it's the unfashionable sides he's done rather well with. 

His attention to detail is second to none in regard to team discipline, structure, players knowing their roles, set pieces both defending/attacking etc.

I'd much rather we went for a young continental coach (I've been saying it for years) but we could do a hell of a lot worse than have Big Sam over us if we went down the experience manager route. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by DangerHere DangerHere wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by DangerHere DangerHere wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Cant see that taking off at all.

Just a thought...depends on how strongly people feel about it I suppose

And i reckon there'd be a massive division of opinion on it. i.e. one being snobbery in quarters over appointing a little aul LOI manager

Oh you are absolutely correct there!! If he hasn't managed in the Holy EPL then who wants him kind of thinking.

You can easily flip that over, we have LOI fans who want Stephen Kenny, yet dismiss Big Sam ConfusedLOL
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Rather strange seeing people dismiss Big Sam as a manger tbh Confused

We are as unfashionable as it comes, yet when you look back over his career it's the unfashionable sides he's done rather well with. 

His attention to detail is second to none in regard to team discipline, structure, players knowing their roles, set pieces both defending/attacking etc.

I'd much rather we went for a young continental coach (I've been saying it for years) but we could do a hell of a lot worse than have Big Sam over us if we went down the experience manager route. 

We could absolutely do a hell of a lot worse than Allardyce...our current guys for example. I just question whether he would actually give a crap about the job or not. It might just be another manager getting a big payday...like our current one and our last one.

I think we need a manager who cares. That's what N Ireland did, Wales did, England did and Scotland* did and it worked for them.

*For Scotland I am referring to the year or 2 when Strachan had them playing decent football and they were looking promising...I realise it went tits up since

Anyway...wasn't "Big Sam" a LOI manager in another lifetime? Big smileBig smileBig smile

Edited by DangerHere - 05 Nov 2018 at 2:08pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 2:13pm
Personally speaking, I reckon the FAI need to go down the route of appointing a young manager and allow him time to make mistakes and radically overhaul the whole senior set up and give him 4 to 6 years in order to achieve his goals.

It might mean we need to sacrifice results to a point in the short term in order to benefit long term.

An appointment like Big Sam would be short term i.e. making us hard to beat/grinding out results but as we can see our playing style is now prehistoric and we're getting found out (to an extent) by lesser sides with possession stats, style of play etc. 

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 2:18pm
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Going to be Duff lads but not until 2026

Succeeding MON in 2024 LOL

Imagine TJ if MON really lasted that long LOL

A couple of nice away trips to make up for it until then.

Edited by Denis Irwin - 05 Nov 2018 at 2:23pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Personally speaking, I reckon the FAI need to go down the route of appointing a young manager and allow him time to make mistakes and radically overhaul the whole senior set up and give him 4 to 6 years in order to achieve his goals.

It might mean we need to sacrifice results to a point in the short term in order to benefit long term.

An appointment like Big Sam would be short term i.e. making us hard to beat/grinding out results but as we can see our playing style is now prehistoric and we're getting found out (to an extent) by lesser sides with possession stats, style of play etc. 

Well Stephen Kenny is only just turned 47 (thank you google) has a proven track record of getting the best out of average players and making them possibly overachieve. He plays good football that is both pleasant to watch and effective...sounds like exactly what you want for an international manager
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Going to be Duff lads but not until 2026

Succeeding MON in 2024 LOL

Imagine TJ if MON really lasted that long LOL

A couple of nice away trips to make up for it until then.

That's true

Icy Bread People View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icy Bread People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 8:08pm
I think Big Sam at best will get us back to the MON years where we pulled off results. I'm sick of that sh*t. A new manager and new style, it could take a long time before it's embedded into the Irish psyche, but it has to change, we'll never progress this way. 
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 8:33pm
Stephen Kenny deserves a craic. Simple. 
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Icy Bread People Icy Bread People wrote:

I think Big Sam at best will get us back to the MON years where we pulled off results. I'm sick of that sh*t. A new manager and new style, it could take a long time before it's embedded into the Irish psyche, but it has to change, we'll never progress this way. 

That's exactly it. If we want things to continue as they are, and play a slightly better brand of non-football, by all means go for Sam. It would probably work to an extent in that we'd pull off a few results here & there amongst the dross. That would still be an improvement on what we have at the moment, which is 100% pure, undiluted absolute dross. 

If we are serious about changing, or maybe catching up on a decade's worth of where football has evolved to since about 3 managers ago, we do need an entire new philosophy, and whatever about the merits of Stephen Kenny, that won't be found with Mick, Lenny, Moysie, Pardew, Bruce and all the usual suspects on the merry go round. Would agree with TJ & DI from earlier, but half the battle in getting the right manager is setting out what we (ie the FAI) want from him in the first place. That's where I think it will fall at the very first hurdle. 

These are lads who in the past, switched a vote for next Ireland manager from Bob Paisley to Jack Charlton, 2 fellas who would have ever so slightly differing views on how football should be played, so anything much could happen. We would be unlikely to ever get a 'name' as big as Trap to manage us ever again, but even that had a limited timeframe, it was a short term answer after the Stan disaster, but not any kind of long term fix, no more than MON is. MON did the short term fix very well, as did Trap and all credit to both, but as usual, our leaders couldn't see the writing on the wall when it went wrong shortly after for either manager. 

The 'next manager' tends to be framed as a critical appointment each time, but we have rarely been appointing one from such a low base, and it looks like it will be even lower by the time these 2 are finished with us or the FAI begin to see what most fans saw a year ago. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 3:32pm
Random , but I'd imagine that the whole Stephen Kenny to take over is still a go despite the whole board and management structure potentially changing
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 3:38pm

Random , but I'd imagine that the whole Stephen Kenny to take over is still a go despite the whole board and management structure potentially changing

Contracts will have been signed I imagine
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 3:44pm

But what would be the legal side of those if they were signed by people no longer in position could that become null in void?
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 3:48pm

But what would be the legal side of those if they were signed by people no longer in position could that become null in void?

You sign contracts with an org not a person in this case.  Think about it logically for a few minutes. 

By the way how is it random or are you just doing what an awful lot of younger people do nowadays and use that word inappropriately a bit like Jamie redknapp and literally. 

Edited by Baldrick - 18 Apr 2019 at 3:49pm
AKA pedantic kunt
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 3:50pm
What if the football association of Ireland became the Irish Football Federation, a new entity to govern football in this country. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

What if the football association of Ireland became the Irish Football Federation, a new entity to govern football in this country. 

Only a name change wouldn't effect the contracts in theory

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 47484950>
  Share Topic