You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next Ireland Manager - Criteria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 44>
Poll Question: Which category below will the new manager likely come from?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [7.50%]
67 [55.83%]
2 [1.67%]
42 [35.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Mad that people are so quick to write of the likes of Hughton or Big Sam as dinosaurs.
I'd not advocating either as Ireland manager by the way but people tend to overlook that Big Sam was one of the first PL managers to start using stats to inform how his teams played. 

I'd take Big Sam.

He's be a good appointment and I think he has a point to prove. 

Can't disagree 

Well aligned.

Only thing against it, he carved a niche of taking on short term fixers with huge bonuses to stay up. 500k from would be small change in comparison 

He was the first to embrace sports science 

Very under rated coach

His job at Bolton was extraordinary 
Sponsored Links

GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 2:52pm
What makes people think Big Sam would take Ireland with the state of our squad and the group we have coming up? I'm sure he could get a championship job if he really wanted or a far more talented international job. Also Sammy don't come cheap and we're effin broke. 

Edited by GaretFarellysNutSack - 24 Nov 2022 at 2:52pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

What makes people think Big Sam would take Ireland with the state of our squad and the group we have coming up? I'm sure he could get a championship job if he really wanted or a far more talented international job. 

Bung him a few quid and that usually helps make up his mind.

Edited by J89 - 24 Nov 2022 at 2:53pm
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 3:05pm
We ain't got no money
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 3:06pm

What makes people think Big Sam would take Ireland with the state of our squad and the group we have coming up? I'm sure he could get a championship job if he really wanted or a far more talented international job. Also Sammy don't come cheap and we're effin broke. 

FAI might decide that diverting any extra available funding to the manager would pay itself off by qualifying for tournaments.

I would seriously doubt that Allardyce is up for the long slog of a championship season. Maybe a PL club takes a look but it's been a while without a job for him now.

Ours is a cushy number, our playing pool is all playing in the country where he lives and he needs to manage for a couple of weeks a year. Turn up at a few games inbetween.

The next manager has a virtual guarantee they will improve on Kenny's results. It couldnt possibly do his stock any harm, there is only upside for him.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

FAI might decide that diverting any extra available funding to the manager would pay itself off by qualifying for tournaments.

I would seriously doubt that Allardyce is up for the long slog of a championship season. Maybe a PL club takes a look but it's been a while without a job for him now.

Ours is a cushy number, our playing pool is all playing in the country where he lives and he needs to manage for a couple of weeks a year. Turn up at a few games inbetween.

The next manager has a virtual guarantee they will improve on Kenny's results. It couldnt possibly do his stock any harm, there is only upside for him.

Well we're not getting to the next Euros unless we scrape some kind of easy playoff, but I'm not sure there are any teams in Europe that would be in a play off position we'd be capable of beating with our squad no matter who the manager. Then it's the world cup which we never qualify for, by which time Sam will be in his 70. 
I don't think hiring him makes much sense tbh. We're going full circle here back to what we wanted to get away from, there must be a more progressive option. 
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 3:49pm

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Well we're not getting to the next Euros unless we scrape some kind of easy playoff, but I'm not sure there are any teams in Europe that would be in a play off position we'd be capable of beating with our squad no matter who the manager. Then it's the world cup which we never qualify for, by which time Sam will be in his 70. 
I don't think hiring him makes much sense tbh. We're going full circle here back to what we wanted to get away from, there must be a more progressive option. 

Theres going to be definite disagreement on playstyle, I want us to play whichever way gets us the best results, for the manager to take a look at the team and pick a style of play that is best for them, not pick a style and enforce it (extremely poorly) on a bunch if players it isnt suited to.

We dont have a progressive style of play at the moment, we keep possession for the sake of it with absolutely no penetration or directness. It has been like that in the majority of Kenny's games with the exception of a few outliers in the middle. That isnt a style of play that is worth sticking with.

As I've said before under Mick v2 we were playing well enough and were mostly defensively solid, it was the Georgia away game that produced this outpouring of frustration around the playstyle, which gave half the nation PTSD. It was just a refusal in that game to get it down and pass it around when it was clearly what was required. A manager who gets us organised again but allows the players off the leash at appropriate times is going to be best for us.

And as for beating teams, good managers get more than the sum of their parts out of the players. Football isnt played by evaluating teams ability on paper relative to the opposition, as Saudi Arabia and Japan proved for example. 

A good manager might fancy getting a playoff in the WC qualifiers. 
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 3:58pm
Does anyone know how much the Gov invest in football in Ireland? Like horse racing gets 30 million a year even though they're minted. 
I am not even concerned with managers any more, it needs to be reformed from grass roots upwards, everything needs investment. 
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 4:03pm

Does anyone know how much the Gov invest in football in Ireland? Like horse racing gets 30 million a year even though they're minted. 
I am not even concerned with managers any more, it needs to be reformed from grass roots upwards, everything needs investment. 

Completely agree with that but qualifying for tournaments, under a board that isnt full of disgusting parasites who have been treating FAI funds as their own pocket money or facilitated same, should lead to huge investment at grassroutes level.

That's why its important.

Edited by E2016 - 24 Nov 2022 at 4:04pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 4:04pm

Horse racing contributes around €2 billion to the Irish economy annually and supports approximately 30,000 jobs. That's why the government invest in it. 
When trying to make a case for more funding for football, that's not an argument I would go near. 
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 4:22pm

Horse racing contributes around €2 billion to the Irish economy annually and supports approximately 30,000 jobs. That's why the government invest in it. 
When trying to make a case for more funding for football, that's not an argument I would go near. 

but if they're already making a packet surely they don't need it as much as football
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 4:24pm

but if they're already making a packet surely they don't need it as much as football

No, they are not all making a packet though.
You don't see many stable lads, work riders, farriers, tote operators etc driving around in Ferraris.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 4:25pm
FG support rugby, cricket and hockey - not football, it's too working class.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 4:31pm
Government bailed out the FAI at nearly €30 million. 

Who knows were all the money they gave them over the years ended up. 

Edited by seanyshuffler - 24 Nov 2022 at 4:31pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 4:35pm
We are off on a tangent here but football "could" generate returns through academies feeding bigger clubs with growing crowds in bigger stadia etc. That's the case that should be made for more funding, not asking why horse racing gets money. 
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Mad that people are so quick to write of the likes of Hughton or Big Sam as dinosaurs.
I'd not advocating either as Ireland manager by the way but people tend to overlook that Big Sam was one of the first PL managers to start using stats to inform how his teams played. 

I'd take Big Sam.

He's be a good appointment and I think he has a point to prove. 

Agreed. Ireland need a bullish type manager with a bit of stature in charge. Guys like Charlton, McCarthy, Trapattoni, O'Neill while pain in the arses at times qualified us for tournaments. Someone like Allardyce would fit that bill. 
The only way is up
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 5:13pm

We are off on a tangent here but football "could" generate returns through academies feeding bigger clubs with growing crowds in bigger stadia etc. That's the case that should be made for more funding, not asking why horse racing gets money. 

have I hit a nerve lol?
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 5:22pm
There's no real money to be made off football in Ireland. Other than the short term boost to the economy of either co-hosting a tournament or qualifying for one. By all means you can make an argument for increased investment in domestic football stadiums and training facilities around the country, but it would be based on charity, not investment, as there would never be a financial return on the investment put in.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 44>
  Share Topic