You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New To Away Games FAQs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New To Away Games FAQs
    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 11:07am
As requested in a thread.

Where can I get a ticket?

Register here - https://www.fai.ie/ireland/fans-direct-form, tickets typically go on sale 1-3 months before a game. Anyone can register, even if you've never been to an away or haven't had a season ticket before.

You can also apply through a supporters club, they manage their ticket allocation themselves.

Is it easy to get a ticket?

The vast majority of games are under-subscribed, games away to top seeds, any of the British teams and to smaller stadiums are less likely to have spare tickets. 

How do I build up a record?

It's best to go to games that fewer people will go to, likely 4th, 5th or 6th seeds and destinations that are harder to get to. Besides, these are usually better trips.

Feel free to ask any questions, there's no stupid ones, we all started somewhere.

Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 11:08am
You should always register for tickets in your own name.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 11:17am
I'm not a member of fans direct, just have a season ticket and apply through the away portal with my FAI account & season tickets, 7 aways on both season tickets on the account.
So is it still a requirement to be a member ? No bother signing up if needs be.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 11:20am
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

I'm not a member of fans direct, just have a season ticket and apply through the away portal with my FAI account & season tickets, 7 aways on both season tickets on the account.

If you apply for away ticket via the portal then you are a member of Fans Direct.

That's what I thought anyway
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 11:22am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

If you apply for away ticket via the portal then you are a member of Fans Direct.

That's what I thought anyway

Ah ok so, I just never signed up using the form. Must have been an automatic thing then as soon as i used the portal. 

Makes sense. Cheers for that 
Colum View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Colum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 11:24am
I registered and got all of the lads I usually apply for to register individually as well. There's no downside to registering but potentially one in not registering so for the sake of a minute it's better to sign up IMO even if the form just goes in to a spam folder somewhere in Abbotstown.
gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 11:26am
Three aways this year. France, Cardiff(didn't go but both tickets were used) and Aarhus. I'd imagine I'm in good shape for the upcoming campaign. Aiming for two aways due to the short campaign and finances
Danger here, OH NO
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 11:30am
Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

Three aways this year. France, Cardiff(didn't go but both tickets were used) and Aarhus. I'd imagine I'm in good shape for the upcoming campaign. Aiming for two aways due to the short campaign and finances

Think alot of people are in the same boat, fitting all in over such a short space on time will be difficult. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Colum Colum wrote:

I registered and got all of the lads I usually apply for to register individually as well. There's no downside to registering but potentially one in not registering so for the sake of a minute it's better to sign up IMO even if the form just goes in to a spam folder somewhere in Abbotstown.

I have multiple people registered under 1 account. They all get tickets in their own name, each ticket required is applied using their own name.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 12:08pm

If you are to believe what we are told, friendly games dont count on your record, so the french game wont matter.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

If you are to believe what we are told, friendly games dont count on your record, so the french game wont matter.

Luckily I never believe anything the FAI say!
Danger here, OH NO
brissy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 12:56am
are they going to do a draw for Irelands first away match
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:21am
Originally posted by brissy brissy wrote:

are they going to do a draw for Irelands first away match

Wouldn’t imagine so. Even the most seasoned of away travelers won’t be expecting a ticket for this
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:54am
Just on that, and this is simply by way of example, I've not missed an away game since 2011, when I wasn't in Moscow, and I'm not sure I'll get what I'm after if this is in Gibraltar. Now, I didn't get tickets to Andorra or Estonia from the FAI: fair enough, though I did get in. But since going to the Faroes on my own in November 2012, I've applied for a minimum of two tickets for me and a friend of mine to every competitive away game, starting with Sweden in March 2013. The only time we didn't get two was for Glasgow 2014 (we got none). Other than that, we've received a *minimum* two tickets to every competitive away game (often three or four), including the likes of Bosnia, Cardiff 2017 and Copenhagen. Hell, we've even taken about ten or twelve away friendly tickets. But if this game is in Gibraltar, I would not be confident that we'll get two tickets for it. I reckon they might give us one and we'll have to decide between ourselves who gets it. That's just how tight it is likely to be for this one if they have it in a 2,300 seater stadium and the FAI will only have 315 tickets (5% plus 200).

Now, I think there is a plan to extend it to 8,000 but I don't think that'll be done by March. Not sure though.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 9:37am
I just cant see this game going ahead in Gibraltar. If it does it would be a good idea if the fai could set down requirements for ticket applications as soon as possible, but out of 315 tickets whats broken down into fans direct you would be looking of a record of at least nine of the last ten aways I would imagine.

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 03 Dec 2018 at 9:38am
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 9:52am
If you apply for say 3 tickets do you get all or nothing?

Can't actually remember not getting what I actually applied for bar Scotland (away)
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 9:56am
apply for 3/4 to get 2 is normally the rule of thumb I use..anything else is a bonus 
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
brissy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 10:15am
it looks like it is
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic