You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Stadiums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 9:59am
Can't find much online about the above plans for Cusack Park.The architect did a great job drawing up those plans but it looks like pie in the sky stuff.

The terraces behind both goals look about 4 times higher than the current ones....the visible stand seems out of proportion too.

Is this a greenfield site? Whats the proposed capacity and cost?
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 1:18pm
The artist did a nice job of superimposing the crowd and pitch from the 1998 All-Ireland hurling semi-final into that. Ger Loughnane is walking around on the sideline.
Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Now maybe there's more to the new stand than just increased capacity, but just bringing the stadium up to a capacity of 8000 will not suddenly make the ground a cat 4 stadium

I think this will be the case.

roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

The artist did a nice job of superimposing the crowd and pitch from the 1998 All-Ireland hurling semi-final into that. Ger Loughnane is walking around on the sideline.
There must be great money in doing art for pie in the sky GAA upgrades.

How many of them actually happen?
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

There's a good few LOI projects which never left the drawing board either.
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 3:13pm
True, but look at the numbers.

Lets take 10 years - all but Harps and Drogheda have come to fruition. Rovers, Cork, Sligo, Galway, Waterford, Wexford, UCD and Athlone have all built new or seen serious upgrades with Bohs and Derry imminent.

What has happened in Gahland in that time in terms of country grounds? Armagh put in a new stand and Pairc ui Caoimh which everyone states is a missed opportunity, and that took them 30 years. How many plans have the Dublin blazers had alone? Lets not go near Casement.

There just seems to be huge talk in the Gah that a random country will build an enormodome that has no basis in reality, either sporting or economic that get shelved quietly. There was talk of a 42,000 seater upgrade for Cusack Park. In a town of 25,000 and county of 117,000.

Edited by roverstillidie - 14 Nov 2016 at 3:17pm
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 7:00pm
What's happening with Finn Harps?
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 8:15pm

Lets take 10 years - all but Harps and Drogheda have come to fruition. Rovers, Cork, Sligo, Galway, Waterford, Wexford, UCD and Athlone have all built new or seen serious upgrades with Bohs and Derry imminent.

What has happened in Gahland in that time in terms of country grounds? Armagh put in a new stand and Pairc ui Caoimh which everyone states is a missed opportunity, and that took them 30 years. How many plans have the Dublin blazers had alone? Lets not go near Casement.

There just seems to be huge talk in the Gah that a random country will build an enormodome that has no basis in reality, either sporting or economic that get shelved quietly. There was talk of a 42,000 seater upgrade for Cusack Park. In a town of 25,000 and county of 117,000.

You're such a fruitloop when it comes to GAA.Talking about small fry like the " UCD bowl" and any loi ground for that matter.Mcahale park (42k) Pearse Stadium (26k) Limerick (50K) Armagh...Healy park....the Mournes.....extension to fitzgerald stadium.43k PUC 60k this is big boy stuff .......thats about half the things that have happened in the last 10 years or so.......could think of many more if i could be bothered....each bigger than any existing loi ground.....wind your neck in you nutjub
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by kimbap kimbap wrote:

You're such a fruitloop when it comes to GAA.Talking about small fry like the " UCD bowl" and any loi ground for that matter.Mcahale park (42k) Pearse Stadium (26k) Limerick (50K) Armagh...Healy park....the Mournes.....extension to fitzgerald stadium.43k PUC 60k this is big boy stuff .......thats about half the things that have happened in the last 10 years or so.......could think of many more if i could be bothered....each bigger than any existing loi ground.....wind your neck in you nutjub
I tbink you are being flexible with 10 years..

When was the last time any of those stadiums were full? Will they ever be? These are white elephants built too big for no reason other than to swallow up funds other sports would have used better
kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 9:52pm
Yeah i was way off there.......some of those were redeveloped 11 years ago....my whole argument falls down there.....

To answer your question without having to google or think about it....Mchale park Mayo Galway was pretty full in 2015 .....limierick v Tipp same year...Donegal Tyrone in Ballybofey ( a sh*te ground but still about twice the size of any loi stadium) .they're just ones i was at.....Do you see how youre losing this argument? Again.....this is big boy stuff,not "wasn't it great to see 5k at turners cross" ...You seem to be intelligent enough but have a blind spot regarding certain things.Fair play to ya.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 10:08pm

Yeah i was way off there.......some of those were redeveloped 11 years ago....my whole argument falls down there.....

To answer your question without having to google or think about it....Mchale park Mayo Galway was pretty full in 2015 .....limierick v Tipp same year...Donegal Tyrone in Ballybofey ( a sh*te ground but still about twice the size of any loi stadium) .they're just ones i was at.....Do you see how youre losing this argument? Again.....this is big boy stuff,not "wasn't it great to see 5k at turners cross" ...You seem to be intelligent enough but have a blind spot regarding certain things.Fair play to ya.
He has a point though, one that you are reaffirming, that these grounds are not value for money.
kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

He has a point though, one that you are reaffirming, that these grounds are not value for money.

Of course not,they are terrible value for money,not filled that often and usually a vanity project to some dinosaur on the county board.I'm not really worried about that though ....they p1ss all over loi grounds and to compare the two is stupid.I think we both know this when it comes to to ritd and his GAA blind spot though.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 10:16pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Of course not,they are terrible value for money,not filled that often and usually a vanity project to some dinosaur on the county board.I'm not really worried about that though ....they p1ss all over loi grounds and to compare the two is stupid.I think we both know this when it comes to to ritd and his GAA blind spot though.
I don't know what they are like as I have never frequented GAA grounds myself, the last one I was in was Croke Park for an Ireland game, but while he may have got on off on an unnecessary tangent the main issue here is how these white elephantsare often funded when other sports are crying out for facilities.
kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 10:31pm
Fair enough,Croker is fairly decent i think you'll agree.Most provincial grounds are not at the same standard but are very comfortable and can accommodate huge crowds in the summer or when needed.Dwarf loi facilities...a couple of big GAA games over the summer would have a bigger attendance than all loi games over the season,its not even an argument.If you want to say how the loi and soccer is great and compare the two thats fine.But to compare loi and GAA stadia in Ireland is not the way to do it,you'll  come across as a clown,like ritd.thats the point im making (im dismissing the who,what and where of how they were built,i do have issues with this but its another argument) ritd has an irrational problem with all things GAA,he cant make a cohesive,non emotional poiny (like a bird on the blob) I dont usually engage with him but he has to be called up on this,he's all over the shop. 
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 10:40pm
Why build ten or more 20,000 (or more) capacity grounds around the country for the GAA, when soccer clubs are crying out for facilities?

There is no need for big stadiums in Ballybofey, Omagh, Clones, Newry and Belfast, for instance, when one good stadium would do the job for all of Ulster. They're filled for the football championship only and that's once a year, with the odd league game attracting a big crowd.

There's no denying that building large stadiums filled once or twice a year is a huge waste of resources. I'd almost guarantee that the total attendance at Turner's Cross every year will beat the total attendance at the redeveloped Pairc Ui Chaoimh, for instance.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 14 Nov 2016 at 10:42pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 10:42pm

Fair enough,Croker is fairly decent i think you'll agree.Most provincial grounds are not at the same standard but are very comfortable and can accommodate huge crowds in the summer or when needed.Dwarf loi facilities...a couple of big GAA games over the summer would have a bigger attendance than all loi games over the season,its not even an argument.If you want to say how the loi and soccer is great and compare the two thats fine.But to compare loi and GAA stadia in Ireland is not the way to do it,you'll  come across as a clown,like ritd.thats the point im making (im dismissing the who,what and where of how they were built,i do have issues with this but its another argument) ritd has an irrational problem with all things GAA,he cant make a cohesive,non emotional poiny (like a bird on the blob) I dont usually engage with him but he has to be called up on this,he's all over the shop. 
Of course, there is no point in comparison anyway, different criteria must be met etcetera. I can empathise with his lack of love for the GAA though, especially, as you said yourself, these stadia are little but vanity projects for old arseholes who wouldn't even admit to watching another sport.
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 10:49pm

You do realise I brought up the LOI in reference to mad stadium plans and  he was replying to me not comparing UCD to Casement Park ffs? He actually makes a fair point and as SD said probably not a huge difference between TC and PUC orver the course of a season. Vanity projects all of these massive county grounds. One big ground in every province would do. PUC/Stade de Frank is a huge waste of public money.
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 11:26pm

A lot more than League of Ireland ones, that's for sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic