You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : YouBoysInGreen Fanzine : Feedback/Ideas
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New home page for YBIG

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New home page for YBIG
    Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 1:39pm
We are looking to overhaul the home page, so we've got our own ideas of what will go on it. So apart from the obvious ones. Has anyone got any interesting suggestions for it?

Thanks
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Sponsored Links

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 1:42pm
lose the singing bird logo on the singing section(there were better suggestion at the time - its a shocker

not enough flegs

Your welcomeSmile
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 2:12pm
Must admit i rarely go to the home page. Straight in via /forum 

Will make a greater effort Thumbs Up
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 2:24pm
Opening letter from TNC?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 2:27pm
Get rid of some of the links on the top (movies haven't been updated in close to five years for example), some of the sites in your links section need updating too, put more information on your contact link or else just put the email address there. Move these links down to the bottom if you want to keep them. Have a Facebook, twitter, instagram/Pinterest and tumblr symbol on the top so people can find you on those social media sites easier. You could even have the email symbol along with them.

Give your news section more prominence by having a latest news section above or across from your twitter feed. Just have the hyperlink headline and the date so people can follow through to the article if they want. Have a search functionality too for the news and potentially could include forum posts as well.

Replace the movies, links at the top with an 'about us' section and talk about all the good you've done (Davy Langan testimonial, Singing Section, Go Green for November 14, charity work, etc), there is nothing about you guys on the home page.

The home page is for people not regulars on the forum so you should make it as interesting as possible. I would hazard a guess that most long term users of the site go straight to the forum section and don't even go on the homepage. 

On the homepage, you could also have a box with latest thread titles from the Republic of Ireland section to entice new members onto it.

Agree with NR too, you need to update that singing section logo.

Thanks!

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by seaniemac seaniemac wrote:

Get rid of some of the links on the top (movies haven't been updated in close to five years for example), some of the sites in your links section need updating too, put more information on your contact link or else just put the email address there. Move these links down to the bottom if you want to keep them. Have a Facebook, twitter, instagram/Pinterest and tumblr symbol on the top so people can find you on those social media sites easier. You could even have the email symbol along with them.

Give your news section more prominence by having a latest news section above or across from your twitter feed. Just have the hyperlink headline and the date so people can follow through to the article if they want. Have a search functionality too for the news and potentially could include forum posts as well.

Replace the movies, links at the top with an 'about us' section and talk about all the good you've done (Davy Langan testimonial, Singing Section, Go Green for November 14, charity work, etc), there is nothing about you guys on the home page.

The home page is for people not regulars on the forum so you should make it as interesting as possible. I would hazard a guess that most long term users of the site go straight to the forum section and don't even go on the homepage. 

On the homepage, you could also have a box with latest thread titles from the Republic of Ireland section to entice new members onto it.

Agree with NR too, you need to update that singing section logo.

Thanks!

No doubt. I'm guessing most people use browser shortcuts to take them to the forum or even to the log in page. I know that's how I do it and I assume the same applies to more or less everyone else.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 4:25pm
Thanks lads.

No one goes to the home page. 

It's a complete overhaul and will have updated content, articles, videos etc etc

I'm looking for interesting ideas that we might have overlooked. 
As an example we will have the Euro 2016 flags section. After the Euro's we will select our top 10, and there'd be a vote for the fans favourites, top three flags would win some prizes. 

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 4:56pm
Do you have a fans photos section from away trips etc?
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 5:57pm
Great post from Seanie.
And sort out the mobile version too! It's poxy to use!!!
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Thanks lads.

No one goes to the home page. 

It's a complete overhaul and will have updated content, articles, videos etc etc

I'm looking for interesting ideas that we might have overlooked. 
As an example we will have the Euro 2016 flags section. After the Euro's we will select our top 10, and there'd be a vote for the fans favourites, top three flags would win some prizes. 

I rarely go onto it tbh but maybe weekly articles written by a new forum member each week about some relevant current topic or their memories of a past game etc..
Not too long though.  Something you could read in under 5 mins.

Examples:  'My memories' of Ireland v Italy 1994, England 1995, Euro 88 etc..
                Opinions about Ireland's chances in Euro 2016
                Reflections on Euro 2012
                Articles written on current/past players
                Best away venues for Culture, food, craic etc...
                Opinions on jerseys

Edited by Trap junior - 19 Feb 2016 at 6:27pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic