Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Umbro not for ÉIRE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5758596061 147>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 11:04am
They were set up solely to make kits and provide balls for clubs in Manchester. I knew they had made tracksuits for British Olympic teams, as well as a few other things here and there, but by and large they have been a football company. 
Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 11:04am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Don't remember that at all. Rugby jerseys were generally awful then though! In saying that,  they are worse now.

The real top quality rugby shirts were made between 1996-2000. Almost all of them were fantastic (the Scotland away shirts being an exception!).

After the millennium they started eliminating sleeves and the collar was eliminated around 2005. Since then, they have become almost indecipherable from football shirts.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 11:10am
Yeah, I had a couple from that period and even a bit later. Fiji always had crackers and Italy, Argentina, France and Scotland all had some nice designs. There were some good club ones too. I remember having a couple of French club ones and everybody seemed to have a London Irish one at some point!

I would say they are much worse than football kits. Incredibly garish and with sponsors on every available bit of shirt. That's in the club game at least. I couldn't picture a single international shirt from the last decade, I don't think. Which I assume means they are all bland, inoffensive and £100 each.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 11:20am
Originally posted by foggy.nelson foggy.nelson wrote:

Really? So all their advertising was lies!Shocked

Yeah they did Ireland rugby in the earlys 90's and I believe they did St.Mary's rugby in Dublin for a while longer. I think they concentrated on football only in the mid to late 90s and there advertising was that they were football only (now).

St.Marys were Umbro into the 2000s but was probably Johnnycee as opposed to Umbro direct
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Don't remember that at all. Rugby jerseys were generally awful then though! In saying that,  they are worse now.

The real top quality rugby shirts were made between 1996-2000. Almost all of them were fantastic (the Scotland away shirts being an exception!).

After the millennium they started eliminating sleeves and the collar was eliminated around 2005. Since then, they have become almost indecipherable from football shirts.

Clap
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by foggy.nelson foggy.nelson wrote:

Really? So all their advertising was lies!Shocked

Yeah they did Ireland rugby in the earlys 90's and I believe they did St.Mary's rugby in Dublin for a while longer. I think they concentrated on football only in the mid to late 90s and there advertising was that they were football only (now).

St.Marys were Umbro into the 2000s but was probably Johnnycee as opposed to Umbro direct

Yes remember these ads appearing in Shoot in the 90s, for some reason I remember there being a similar one about roller skates not having the umbro logo
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 11:50am

Yeah, I had a couple from that period and even a bit later. Fiji always had crackers and Italy, Argentina, France and Scotland all had some nice designs. There were some good club ones too. I remember having a couple of French club ones and everybody seemed to have a London Irish one at some point!

I would say they are much worse than football kits. Incredibly garish and with sponsors on every available bit of shirt. That's in the club game at least. I couldn't picture a single international shirt from the last decade, I don't think. Which I assume means they are all bland, inoffensive and £100 each.

I developed a good collection between 1998-2002. You’d occasionally find an oldie in Elvery’s or Champion at a heavy discount on the original price. Nike made a beautiful top. I recall the South African away jersey in 1998 as a beautiful shirt. Canterbury were the first to start the evolution towards short sleeves as standard, with Ireland’s hooped jersey in 2000 as an example. While New Zealand had adidas make their stuff in 1999.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 11:52am
Yeah, South Africa had a couple of great ones alright, but there wasn't a hope of getting me in one of them!LOL
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 11:54am

Yeah, South Africa had a couple of great ones alright, but there wasn't a hope of getting me in one of them!LOL

I can say I never owned owned one either.

My biggest recall though of that ‘98 jersey was Paddy Johns and Gary Teichmann tearing strips out of each other.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 12:27pm
Yeah, I remembered that. I used to love Paddy John's and I don't know why! Probably for things like that.
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 12:32pm
Doesn't 3's FAI sponsorship end soon?  If they don't renew - and as far as I know they're not gonna - and the FAI don't find a new main sponsor, does that mean the new Umbro jersey will be - wait for it - SPONSORLESS?!?
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Doesn't 3's FAI sponsorship end soon?  If they don't renew - and as far as I know they're not gonna - and the FAI don't find a new main sponsor, does that mean the new Umbro jersey will be - wait for it - SPONSORLESS?!?

3 have already ended the sponsorship a few months ago, the rumour was Bank Of Ireland was to take over the sponsorship, as part of refinancing the loan or some financial deal anyway to do with our debt.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 12:50pm
There was an issue with the termination of the three sponsorship as it was meant to end after the euro's, as these have been delayed by 12 months it's made the situation more complicated.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 12:52pm

Yeah, I remembered that. I used to love Paddy John's and I don't know why! Probably for things like that.

Proper mild mannered man, but the way the South African team used behave after they won the World Cup would test the patience of anybody.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Proper mild mannered man, but the way the South African team used behave after they won the World Cup would test the patience of anybody.
Seemed lovely off the pitch alright, but he was hardly a saint on it either!
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 4:44pm
I hope any new jersey goes back to a more vibrant green. Not a fan of the deeper green colour. 
Bham_McDermott View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

I would imagine it just goes just to the highest (lowest) bidder
I don't agree with THAT, in the workplace!
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 11:45am
New Era the new kit maker judging by the press release regarding the squad announcement. 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5758596061 147>
  Share Topic