You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Near Death Experiences

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

Deise316 would back me up on this but the taxi we got in Tbilsi to the game was surreal. dodging in and out of multiple lanes and doing the same on the opposite side of the road. the driver didnt go below 90mph doing this while laughing his bollox off. gurupoutofthat in the front didn't help either roaring and shouting egging da **** on! LOL 
Had a similar uber ride to the stadium in Lille. The lad driving would have given Schumacher a run for his money. Three of us were white as sheets arriving at the ground. 
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Deise316 would back me up on this but the taxi we got in Tbilsi to the game was surreal. dodging in and out of multiple lanes and doing the same on the opposite side of the road. the driver didnt go below 90mph doing this while laughing his bollox off. gurupoutofthat in the front didn't help either roaring and shouting egging da **** on! LOL 
Had a similar uber ride to the stadium in Lille. The lad driving would have given Schumacher a run for his money. Three of us were white as sheets arriving at the ground. 

Uber in Lille ClapClap Tesla Clap
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 5:41pm

I think most people I’ve talked to who were in Georgia would agree that the taxi drives were mad. We got one before the game who would stand on the brakes and shout at every women we passed on the road. He was making cow noises and all sorts like a crazy man. He pulled up in front of about 100+ police in front of the stadium roaring and them. He also halfed our fare. He told us 20 and the start but only charged us 10 in the end. One of the lads asked him what was he taking he said he was after smoking a joint and doing coke. I had a good few pints in me and thought it was hilarious but my friend who doesn’t drink said he was thinking about getting out halfway there.
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 5:53pm
montenegro taxis were horrendous too
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

montenegro taxis were horrendous too

Agreed Gaz....often found litter in the foot wells and even a crisp packet thoughtlessly  discarded on the seat .....horrendous 
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:03am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Sure It was same in Chisinau, taxi drivers were maniacs didn't even have seat belts

Scientist isn't even doing that story justice. I've been in other taxis in Tbilisi that were reasonably mad 70/80 mph stuff and a few hairy overtakes, Astana was mad, Chisinau was a bit mad, but this was different level stuff. It started with a race between 2 taxis to get to the ground, that bit was a good laugh, going double the speed of anything else on the motorway & weaving in & out of traffic, that's the bit most would consider mad, it was only the starting point for this headtheball. 

Turns out there are 2 football stadiums in Tbilisi, and these lads had brought us to the wrong one, somewhere on the other side of the city. It was already late as we had stayed in pub to watch as much as we could of the AI hurling final, so now we were looking like missing the start of the game. Taxi lad realised mistake and then went onto next level, which on at least 4 separate occasions, involved going around completely blind corners on the wrong side of the road at 90-100 mph and missing oncoming traffic by millimetres. He did have great car control though, I'll give him that. 

If there was ever an occasion I'd like to have had one of those Russian dash cams on a car, this was it. I'm still convinced F1 wouldn't exist as a sport today if that journey had been recorded & gone viral, though I think this new motorsport might have had a few insurance issues.

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:32am
Clap
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Sure It was same in Chisinau, taxi drivers were maniacs didn't even have seat belts

Scientist isn't even doing that story justice. I've been in other taxis in Tbilisi that were reasonably mad 70/80 mph stuff and a few hairy overtakes, Astana was mad, Chisinau was a bit mad, but this was different level stuff. It started with a race between 2 taxis to get to the ground, that bit was a good laugh, going double the speed of anything else on the motorway & weaving in & out of traffic, that's the bit most would consider mad, it was only the starting point for this headtheball. 

Turns out there are 2 football stadiums in Tbilisi, and these lads had brought us to the wrong one, somewhere on the other side of the city. It was already late as we had stayed in pub to watch as much as we could of the AI hurling final, so now we were looking like missing the start of the game. Taxi lad realised mistake and then went onto next level, which on at least 4 separate occasions, involved going around completely blind corners on the wrong side of the road at 90-100 mph and missing oncoming traffic by millimetres. He did have great car control though, I'll give him that. 

If there was ever an occasion I'd like to have had one of those Russian dash cams on a car, this was it. I'm still convinced F1 wouldn't exist as a sport today if that journey had been recorded & gone viral, though I think this new motorsport might have had a few insurance issues.

LOLClap
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 11:01am
Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

I was at a rave in Leytown in 2001. I was completely off my face and managed to fall off one of the sand dunes/cliff edge and land head first on the only rock in the part of the sand. I ended up with a badly fractured skull and was unconscious in an induced coma for about 36 hours. I don’t remember being rushed to hospital or the actual fall. Waking up in hospital in Drogheda with all my family there including my sister who’d flown home from Scotland was truly bizarre.  I was topped up on morphine so just thought it was like a party and was very happy to see everyone. The recovery was slow and I wasn’t back to myself for about 6 weeks. I missed a holiday and the Ireland Holland game when McAteer scored.  It was more a traumatic experience for my mate who went with me in the ambulance. He was also off his head and was coming down off yokes in the hospital with a pregnant woman screaming she that was losing her baby beside him.

Jaysus, that is not the ideal situation to be in whilst on yokes! 
El Puto Amo
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 9:15pm
BUMP
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 9:33pm
Some crazy stories.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Reminds me of the story Gerk once told on here when himself and BSM were in a carpet shop and the sales assistant was of Pakistani origin. Unfortunately for all concerned BSMs nickname was/is “Packie”

“Here Packie, what you think of this rug”
Reminds me of….
One of the lads was nicknamed Bomber
Was interesting going on stags to England with people shooting Bomber round the plane, a few years after 9/11
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 12:32am
Another one to my own personal list, Fell off a jetty in Portugal last year while gargled and had to be pulled out of the water 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 12:34am
Some brilliant stories alright, had forgotten a lot of them.

Opening post still makes me laugh, sounds like the opening to a sh*t teen movie “I was 15 & an avid canoeist” 
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 3:06am
some of these stories Shocked 

Edited by Artie Ziff - 29 Mar 2023 at 3:12am
It would damage this forums' reputation
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 10:50am
All the Tbilisi taxi stories take me back. One taxi driver there started shouting at us for putting seat belts on in the back, he wouldn't drive off until we took them off. Said you only needed to wear them in the front, 1980's Ireland style. Honorable mention to the taxi drivers in Bari back in 2009 also.   
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
limerick lad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote limerick lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 12:04pm
Not an accident related story but I suppose still very lucky.

Final year of college in 2016 and was hitting the books hard. Picked up a nasty chest infection with a barking cough that I just couldn't kick. I kept on ignoring it as I thought it would just eventually go away.

Anyway , after about 6 weeks I go to the Doctor and he takes one look at me and says "when is the last time you had your bloods done". I hadn't had them done in about a year , which was ridiculously stupid as I'm immune compromised , but I foolishly still thought I was invincible and didn't need to be wasting time on appointments. Out comes the needle and he does the test - and tells me I have to hand deliver them to the local maternity hospital to be tested immediately. The maternity was just about a 5 min walk from the surgery so no hassle.

That was at 6pm and the following morning I get a call at 07.30 to get straight to the hospital. I ask him why and he just said i need to be seen immediately. I get out there and they take me in straight away. I am hooked up to a heart monitor and given forms to sign for blood transfusions. 

Basically my hemoglobin levels had collapsed and I was effectively bleeding to death in their words as I was losing blood unbeknownst to me (related to my condition). They said I was at a huge risk of cardiac arrest and if I held out any longer going to the doctor it could have been lights out. Days of blood transfusions and antibiotics followed and after about a week I was out again

My GP effectively saved my life. It was his last appointment of the day - he could have easily just prescribed some antibiotics and been done with me. But he knew by the look of me something was not right and I owe him a lot. That summer was then ironically the best of my life - we had the Euros in France and also did a few weeks traveling around Europe. You certainly appreciate things a lot more when you realise how lucky you have been Thumbs Up
just hit the fecking thing
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by limerick lad limerick lad wrote:

Final year of college in 2016 and was hitting the books hard. Picked up a nasty chest infection with a barking cough that I just couldn't kick. I kept on ignoring it as I thought it would just eventually go away.

Anyway , after about 6 weeks I go to the Doctor and he takes one look at me and says "when is the last time you had your bloods done". I hadn't had them done in about a year , which was ridiculously stupid as I'm immune compromised , but I foolishly still thought I was invincible and didn't need to be wasting time on appointments. Out comes the needle and he does the test - and tells me I have to hand deliver them to the local maternity hospital to be tested immediately. The maternity was just about a 5 min walk from the surgery so no hassle.

That was at 6pm and the following morning I get a call at 07.30 to get straight to the hospital. I ask him why and he just said i need to be seen immediately. I get out there and they take me in straight away. I am hooked up to a heart monitor and given forms to sign for blood transfusions. 

Basically my hemoglobin levels had collapsed and I was effectively bleeding to death in their words as I was losing blood unbeknownst to me (related to my condition). They said I was at a huge risk of cardiac arrest and if I held out any longer going to the doctor it could have been lights out. Days of blood transfusions and antibiotics followed and after about a week I was out again

My GP effectively saved my life. It was his last appointment of the day - he could have easily just prescribed some antibiotics and been done with me. But he knew by the look of me something was not right and I owe him a lot. That summer was then ironically the best of my life - we had the Euros in France and also did a few weeks traveling around Europe. You certainly appreciate things a lot more when you realise how lucky you have been Thumbs Up
when you said maternity hospital , was thinking you should rename yourself to Limerick Lass 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
limerick lad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote limerick lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by limerick lad limerick lad wrote:

when you said maternity hospital , was thinking you should rename yourself to Limerick Lass 

I had to ask him a few times was he certain he wanted me to drop them there and the staff were just as surprised LOL when they read whatever note he had included they then took them in without any bother. 
just hit the fecking thing
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic