Poll Question: ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
24 [96.00%]
1 [4.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nations League - Has it Worked?
    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 1:53pm
Has it worked as concept? 

Think it's been excellent myself, meaningful games, everyone playing teams at their level (with the possible exception of us).

Teams getting their first win and teams hoping for their first ever euros qualification through it as well. 

Edited by nvidic - 18 Nov 2018 at 4:55pm
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 2:01pm
Unquestionably! My biggest doubt was the fact it was being merged with Euro qualification and creating something too convoluted, well it may have made it initially more difficult to understand, it has made every game of the NL of some importance, even our own 'dead rubber' has something riding on it, however minor and is more beneficial than a friendly.

I think we need to wait until the end of Euro qualification before we can judge it completely, but it has been excellent so far. 
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 4:24pm
mixed success. Some competitive some not.

I think the success will be judged after the qualifiers and if some teams end up qualifying because they were put into groups with teams that qualified already though the nation's league, will lead to complaining... Essentially it's possible  to qualify even if you dont win a game. Which is obviously a massive clanger

Edited by OohAah... - 18 Nov 2018 at 4:26pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 4:39pm
I finally understand it, which is nice.

But I like it, and it’s a decent concept!
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 4:53pm
It’s turned out to be very good with nearly all games in the last few match days having some relevance to the qualifiers proper.
Example NI today and Ours tomorrow look dead rubbers until you realize the overall rankings matter for the back door - even if if only one place.
Pot 2/3 teams will all be German fans when they host the Dutch.

I’d image if you look closely at league C and D their are a number of games which will determine the pots teams end up in draw in two weeks. A great success I’d say.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 5:33pm
Can't vote in the poll but I like it as a concept. Thought it would be more like an 'actual' league which I didn't fancy but glad they made it into an actual group style format.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 5:56pm
Good concept that's worked in general in competitive terms (apart from us)....but beyond the 2nd tier you'd wonder what the viewing figures are...... though I suppose that mirrors any league system
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Has it worked as concept? 

Think it's been excellent myself, meaningful games, everyone playing teams at their level (with the possible exception of us).

Teams getting their first win and teams hoping for their first ever euros qualification through it as well. 

Summed up my thoughts exactly it's been a massive success. It will be interesting to see how UEFA plan to use it with the World Cup qualifiers as I doubt FIFA would be to intrigued by someone like Macedonia, Belarus, Kosovo or Georgia guaranteed a chance of qualifying
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 6:21pm
its a success but wonder if people will get tired of it in 2 years as the leagues become a bit unbalanced
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 6:25pm
How will they become unbalanced?

You are playing against opposition which is of a similar rank to yourself.

No more Oman games or games where the opposition don't take the game seriously.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 6:34pm
In fairness Oman is probably O’Neills standard right now.

I like the format but I’m not sure about future competitions when the likes of Scotland or Albania can be paired with Croatia/Germany. Group B could have alot of imbalances

Edited by coyne - 18 Nov 2018 at 6:35pm
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

How will they become unbalanced?

You are playing against opposition which is of a similar rank to yourself.

No more Oman games or games where the opposition don't take the game seriously.

agree with that in principle, trying to think of other examples but whichever B group has Germany in is going to be unbalanced though and will have at least one country from C (possibly Finland)
inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 7:51pm
I have to be honest when I say that I still don’t understand the format but maybe when these next set of matches happen, then I see the next set of leagues with promotions and relegations, then I will. 

It’s a pity we haven’t got the results we wanted, but I’m all in favour of additional competitive matches. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic