You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - National stereotype names - what's in, what's out?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNational stereotype names - what's in, what's out?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Where did I express anger?

Where did I say they were equal?

You can go and murder someone in the street or you can go and steal their wallet. Both are wrong and shouldn't be done, but no one is implying they're equal acts.

You're making a lot of assumptions to get me embroiled in a debate on your favourite subject.

All those terms are out, for me. That's my answer to your question. End of.
You referenced "a world gone mad with political correctness"

That's an obvious expression of anger or at least deep unhappiness on behalf of what in reality is a fake construct by right-wing media and politics

Your reference about terms being "unacceptable" is written in a clear tone of anger or regret that this may be so

The implication of equalness comes from the use of the above canard - the "political correctness gone mad" meme - this is a fake victimhood construction - fake victimhood on behalf of the people "who can't say those things" - not anger on behalf of the people who are the victims of generalised slurs which are designed to dehumanise and vilify

And your arguing angle is very broad brush - it seems to be either all or nothing with you in terms of what is acceptable and what's not - which also kind of implies that any repercussions for the use of any of the terms referenced here should be equal

I accept Ersatz Thistle's argument about how "Jock" is used in deliberately stereotyped, negative way about Scottish people by a lot of English people and therefore it's probably best to steer away from use of the term - however it would be ludicrous to say that the use of the term "Jock" or "Paddy" or "Taff" or even "Mick", "Frog" or "Kraut", even if used in a negative stereotype way, would be as serious as, say, the use of the terms "Paki" or "nip" would be

The reason I referenced the anti-Liverpool stuff such as "bin dippers", "eating rats in your council house", "you're only happy on Giro day", "murderers" etc. is that in my view it is designed to dehumanise and vilify Scousers (and poor and working class people in general) in a way that people from other parts of England rarely if ever are the targets of

There is both a regional element to those slurs and a clear social class, kick down element to it, there is a venomous othering to it

In my view, the "political correctness has gone mad" meme is total bollocks, as is the "cancel culture" meme

This thread is also not designed to vilify any poster, only to tease out and explore issues of context and the boundaries of what is acceptable and what is not in general

It's a good faith exercise in that - I think a lot of us either use or have used some of the terms referenced during the thread

Edited by sid waddell - 03 Aug 2020 at 12:58pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 12:59pm
I heard a debate on the radio recently where some transgender person was arguing that you can’t call a boy a boy or a girl a girl.
Some people argue that the word Christmas should be removed from celebrations and marketing in December

Both are examples of how the world has gone mad with political correctness

Now taking that into account, I found it shocking that a man who has beat the anti racism drum week in week out on here for months would ask such a question that are terms such as jock, mick, paddy, frog, Taff, tan, kraut, wop etc acceptable to use to stereotype a group of people 

Of course they are not. All unacceptable. Some would cause different levels of offence than others to people but you must broad brush them, none of them can be used 

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 03 Aug 2020 at 1:07pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Flanno7hi Flanno7hi wrote:

So just avoid using all of those terms you mention then. Easy.
I would have said knacker a lot as a young fella, I also would have called things gay when I meant they were uncool or lame. I wouldn't do either now as they are offensive and times have moved on. Just avoid using terms that describe a group in this lumped together way that may be construed as offensive.
Yeah, I would have used words that I no longer feel comfortable with. 'Knacker', 'Tan' and 'bird' are three that cause me most to be embarrassedabout, looking back. I think language is part of our evolution. People use such terms, be it intentional or otherwise, for a sense of superiority and dismissal. In reality, in using such terms they are just embarrassing themselves and transferring their own securities.

One great, and very simple, piece of advice I got after having a bit of a grapple with an English fella who referred to me as 'the Paddy' was to rudely ask 'Nigel' what his problem was. The implication was usually enough to make them realise what you thought of them and I have had less trips to the dentist.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

The phrase you use "a world that has gone mad with political correctness" seems to display a complete refusal to engage with the concept that terms of generalised hatred should not be used, and also displays a belief (a wrong belief) that the people who want to use these terms are the real victims 

On the contrary
I've said three times now that none of those words on the opening post on this thread should be used in 2020. You seem to be failing to grasp or accept my simple answer to the question you pose on the opening post.
You're the one trying to defend some of them and dictate which ones are offensive and which ones aren't.

Don't use any of them is the easy solution. Each of them is going to offend a lot of people.

Another silly thread to give you a chance to get on your soapbox and preach about racism, your favourite subject. Ohhh look at me i'm so knowledgeable and intelligent about everything to do with racism that i'm going to dedicate every thread to it.

That's it in a nutshell....

One look back at the countless unfunny ramblings of his on numerous threads in the ROTW section back that up.
But it's not a silly thread

There is wide confusion out there as to what is or isn't unacceptable and much of that confusion is deliberately spread on behalf of far right politics via the construction of bad faith memes such as "political correctness gone mad" and "cancel culture"

These memes are being used unironically in this thread by at least one poster

Lack of discussion of the above issues is and lack of proper explanation is part of the reason we have a rise of the far right internationally - I mean look at the positive reaction charlatan politicians get when they shout "political correctness is gone mad"

It's complete bollocks but there are a lot of people who genuinely believe this sloganeering nonsense
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 1:26pm

I heard a debate on the radio recently where some transgender person was arguing that you can’t call a boy a boy or a girl a girl.
Some people argue that the word Christmas should be removed from celebrations and marketing in December

Now taking that into account, I found it shocking that a man who has beat the anti racism drum week in week out on here for months would ask such a question that are terms such as jock, mick, paddy, frog, Taff, tan, kraut, wop etc acceptable to use to stereotype a group of people 

Of course they are not. All unacceptable. Some would cause different levels of offence than others to people but you must broad brush them, none of them can be used 
I see what you're doing there

Because you're embarrassed about being called out on the political correctness gone mad nonsense, you try to turn it around to paint me as a racist, that's bad faith debating and another right-wing twisting technique

Yet even in this post you're still continuing with the "political correctness gone mad" nonsense - you're attempting to portray the nuanced and difficult development of some sort of formalised language around the issue of transgenderism as an attack on your rights

But it's not an attack on your rights

You also pull the old canard about "they want to cancel Christmas" out of the bag - it's like right-wing cliche central here

I don't think there are many people who actually want to rename Christmas or deny the use of the term, but sure even if such people do exist, so effing what? Your rights are not being trampled on in anyway - they would be expressing a legitimate opinion, not one I would agree with incidentally, and I don't think many do

There's a difference between each of the terms you reference in your above post

Paddy and Jock sometimes contain an element of fondness for the Irish and Scots but it's also been explained how sometimes that is not the case

I don't think you could argue that "Krauts" or "wops" contains any element of fondness for Germans or Italians, and they are clearly pejorative terms, but neither are they anywhere near the pejorative or racist nature of "Paki", which I would class as a term of outright hatred which has been used to incite real violence and real murder against innocent civilians of colour

Yet "Paki is still used" - just go onto Hill 16 any time Dublin play Meath when you'll hear crowds of youngsters shouting "I'd rather be a Paki than a Royal" 

So the message is not getting through to some people

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 1:33pm

I think we are heading, slowly, for a post-sex society, or post-gender society. We have got to the stage, certainly among those under thirty, where sexuality is accepted as a broad spectrum and as long as those involved are consenting then the logic is to leave them at it. I feel this will also happen, in hardly an exact repeat, but in the same vein, with gender fluidity. Society's that were considered savage by colonisers have been more accepting of this for centuries.  
A lot of the punching down towards 'T', 'Q' and '+' portion of the movement was used at the 'LGB' part before. People are using extreme behaviours as outliers to punch down in the name of protecting 'women's rights' as a thin veil to impose their own superiority and faux outrage at something that is unlikely to impact them. That is my reading of it, but I digress! Not a pop at you either RB, more a tangential observation on a topic I feel is important. 
I don't think you have said much wrong here, so not sure of the argument!

I do baulk at the use of the term 'political correctness', however. I have read a few books on what it means and, in reality, it means nothing. It is usually used as a term to validate anachronistic and mean-spirited views and little else. There are two things that are nearly universally true about those that use it: that they are against it and haven't a f**king clue what it means!
It seems it was originally used as an in-joke in a liberal think-tank in America that the American right got a hold of before being up by that bastion of morality, Richard Littlejohn. The first use of it that authors and researchers can find of it, in Britain at least, was when he used the phrase 'political correctness gone mad' in his Daily Mail column. This, it is worth reminding ourselves, is the man that got upset, snowflake that he is, by another publication referring to murdered women as ' women who worked as prostitutes' and not just 'prostitutes'. It did lead to a fine moment of stand-up comedy.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 1:35pm
Blah blah blah Sid

Read back to the third post on this thread
I answered your question saying all those terms were out for me and you disagreed saying that narrative is used by the far right Wacko

Alright then, they're all in then for me. I'm a big mad racist. That suit you better?

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 03 Aug 2020 at 1:36pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 3:31pm

The reason I referenced the anti-Liverpool stuff such as "bin dippers", "eating rats in your council house", "you're only happy on Giro day", "murderers" etc. is that in my view it is designed to dehumanise and vilify Scousers (and poor and working class people in general) in a way that people from other parts of England rarely if ever are the targets of

I can think of a large numbers of chants which are directed at Northern football supporters, which would have the same effect. So to say "rarely if ever" is  wide of the mark. I think there is an important discussion to be around the acceptability of chants and what is said at football matches, but there is quite a culture of anti-Northern sentiment at football.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 4:53pm

Blah blah blah Sid

Read back to the third post on this thread
I answered your question saying all those terms were out for me and you disagreed saying that narrative is used by the far right Wacko

Alright then, they're all in then for me. I'm a big mad racist. That suit you better?
I didn't call you "a big mad racist" or anything like it

You're feigning victimhood again and not engaging with the points I raise
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I can think of a large numbers of chants which are directed at Northern football supporters, which would have the same effect. So to say "rarely if ever" is  wide of the mark. I think there is an important discussion to be around the acceptability of chants and what is said at football matches, but there is quite a culture of anti-Northern sentiment at football.
Examples?

I don't doubt that is there is generalised or even specific anti-northern stuff aimed at followers of other teams but I find it hard to imagine that anything would top the dehumanising, othering abuse aimed at Liverpool supporters 

Obviously chants about the Munich air disaster would constitute an example of something that crosses a line but as bad as such chants are, they are not aimed at dehumanising and othering people from a particular geographical area, and are probably more often chanted by followers of rival northern teams to Manchester United, ie. Liverpool and Leeds, than by southern clubs

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 5:07pm

Examples?

I don't doubt that is there is generalised or even specific anti-northern stuff aimed at followers of other teams but I find it hard to imagine that anything would top the dehumanising, othering abuse aimed at Liverpool supporters 

Obviously chants about the Munich air disaster would constitute an example of something that crosses a line but as bad as such chants are, they are not aimed at dehumanising and othering people from a particular geographical area, and are probably more often chanted by followers of rival northern teams to Manchester United, ie. Liverpool and Leeds, than by southern clubs

Im just repeating that that's what I've heard. its incredibly regional, and it seems to be directed at Northerners, and are general variations, or the same chants as what is directed at Liverpool fans. Its an odd divide, which seems to divide the southern working class, and the northern working class. As though there is a difference,e except for where they are born. My view its generally the southern clubs that shout invective like that.

Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 5:30pm
I'm sure a number of group names were originally terms of endearment but over time have been used in a nasty or antagonistic manner.

One word I, and everyone else in my school, would have used a lot was Faggot. A disgusting word and one I hope isn't thrown around now as easily as it was back in the 80's and 90's.

If you are unsure whether or not a word is offensive, then don't use it!
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 6:09pm

Examples?

Im just repeating that that's what I've heard. its incredibly regional, and it seems to be directed at Northerners, and are general variations, or the same chants as what is directed at Liverpool fans. Its an odd divide, which seems to divide the southern working class, and the northern working class. As though there is a difference,e except for where they are born. My view its generally the southern clubs that shout invective like that.
Yeah but you haven't given any actual real examples of chants or consistent themes used to vilify or dehumanise northerners in general or other specific clubs

We all know there's a southern/northern thing and that there is generalised anti-northern abuse from southern clubs but I think it's inarguable that Liverpool and Liverpudlians are a much bigger target of such vilification than, say, people from Newcastle or Leeds or Manchester or the supporters of clubs from those cities

It's specific, it's targeted, it's generalised against the people of Liverpool, ie. it's not confined to the football club but directed against the geographical area, it's long running, it goes back decades

People from Liverpool really feel that alienation from the rest of England and especially the south which is why politics has gone in a different direction there than it has across the rest of the north

Obviously Manchester and to a lesser extent Leeds and other cities would be firm Labour too but Liverpool is by far the the deepest shade of red, look at the general election results

Liverpool really is a place apart, people don't say it for nothing

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 6:22pm

Examples?

Yeah but you haven't given any actual real examples of chants or consistent themes used to vilify or dehumanise northerners in general or other specific clubs

We all know there's a southern/northern thing and that there is generalised anti-northern abuse from southern clubs but I think it's inarguable that Liverpool and Liverpudlians are a much bigger target of such vilification than, say, people from Newcastle or Leeds or Manchester or the supporters of clubs from those cities

It's specific, it's targeted, it's generalised against the people of Liverpool, ie. it's not confined to the football club but directed against the geographical area, it's long running, it goes back decades

People from Liverpool really feel that alienation from the rest of England and especially the south which is why politics has gone in a different direction there than it has across the rest of the north

Obviously Manchester and to a lesser extent Leeds and other cities would be firm Labour too but Liverpool is by far the the deepest shade of red, look at the general election results

Liverpool really is a place apart, people don't say it for nothing

The chant about the Northerner who drinks 10 pints? The classist refrain of "we pay your benefits" is something that seems to be ubiquitously used against supporters of teams from the north.

It is a place apart, politically, yes. They elected people like Derek Hatton.  I'm not saying Liverpool don't get it more than other Northern clubs. But my point is about your reference to "rarely if never".
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 6:40pm
These aren't club or city specific though 

Supporters of Newcastle, Sunderland, Hull, Leeds or whoever get anti-northern stuff aimed at them, but they or their areas are not specifically targeted in the way Liverpool the club and Liverpool the city is, the bin dippers thing and the Giro jibes etc. are Liverpool-specific, as well as stuff about Heysel and Hillsborough

Of course there's an anti-Manchester United thing too but I don't believe there's a specific targeting of the city of Manchester and its people, although open to correction if somebody can provide evidence to the contrary and of course Manchester United supporters themselves participate in the generalised campaign of hatred against Liverpool, even though in political terms Manchester would be probably the next most left-wing city in England - Manchester United followers are mainly from the south though Wink

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 6:49pm
My point is that Northern teams more than "rarely if ever" get the brunt of jeers about class, and finances. Yes, Liverpool have it more specifically, but I didn't say they didn't. Like I said, there seems to be an odd divide about who, and where is more working class, and what strand of working class one might be, and there is a Southern/Northern divide to that.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 6:52pm
If there was insults specifically directed at Liverpool fans they would surely be about how tall Norwegians are, or how limited their diet is; or that Rhyl and Tullamore are sh*tholes.

Edited by pre Madonna - 03 Aug 2020 at 6:52pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 7:12pm

My point is that Northern teams more than "rarely if ever" get the brunt of jeers about class, and finances. Yes, Liverpool have it more specifically, but I didn't say they didn't. Like I said, there seems to be an odd divide about who, and where is more working class, and what strand of working class one might be, and there is a Southern/Northern divide to that.

Within the southern teams themselves, particular clubs are seen as more "southern"

It's loosely to do with politics 

The real "southern" teams are Chelsea, Millwall, West Ham, Portsmouth, Spurs, Crystal Palace, possibly Luton, Ipswich, probably in that order

After that you're talking about the likes of diddy teams like Peterborough and Gillingham

Coincidentally a lot of these teams wear blue

Arsenal might have been seen as a proper "southern" team in the past but they're more seen as an internationalist team now I think 

Clubs like Brighton, Charlton, Brentford and Fulham are seen as fairly harmless

I think Southampton are seen as relatively harmless too
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic