You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - National stereotype names - what's in, what's out?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNational stereotype names - what's in, what's out?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Direct Link To This Post Topic: National stereotype names - what's in, what's out?
    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

Do you also think it's clever to call Welsh people "taffs" or French people "frogs" ?

I don't ever refer to you lads as being "paddies" or "micks" because I know that's a stupid, patronising, demeaning stereotypical name for a great Irish people.

What's the feeling on this? 

Do we adopt a broad brush generalised policy one way or the other across the board as to whether these sort of names are acceptable or unacceptable, or do we operate on a case by case basis?

Like, I wouldn't find "Paddies" offensive but that's probably because I'm Irish and we often use the term in a sort of self-deprecating manner about ourselves. 

If an English person said it, particularly a Brexiteer type (I'm self-consciously using an implied stereotype here about Brexit supporters and what they're like), I might draw a conclusion that they were likely an arsehole - depending on context - but I wouldn't be offended to the point where I'd be of the opinion that the term should never be used by English people. 

"Micks" carries a more insulting air about it. If an English person called me a "Mick" in an unironic, insulting manner, or applied "thick" before it, as commonly done, ie. "a thick Mick", I would have a problem.

"Jock" or "Jocko" doesn't seem that offensive to me, there's a sort of a slightly mocking tone yet simultaneously an implication of a liking for the Scotch, sorry, Scots.

"Taff" or "Taffy" can hardly be offensive, can it, given that it's only derived from the river that flows through Cardiff.

"Tan" as used by Irish people about the English is obviously an insult. The truth is that if English people started complaining about the use of this term there would a large body of Irish opinion which would double down on the use of the term. 

The Scots often call the English "the Sasenachs", don't they Ersatz Thistle?

I guess all the above terms carry a sort of unspoken implication that they're being used by an overwhelmingly majority white people against other majority white peoples, and all of them share a similar culture. Basically "we can insult or take the piss out of people like us". The Eamon Dunphy "it's not racism, Bill, it's ethnic criticism" excuse/defence.

Once you start getting into "Frogs" and "Krauts" it starts getting murkier I think, because the cultural gap starts to get wider. These terms are the stereotypical terms of your stereotypical little Englander Basil Fawlty type. But again because these are aimed at majority white nations, it's hard to say they're properly racist.

"Wop" or "Dago" is definitely crossing the line though. You might say Italians or Spaniards are white too, but they're further away in culture, and the terms are meant insults based on darker skin tone.

Once you start going outside Europe into majority nations of colour the line is clear. Conor Lenihan's "kebabs" about Turks, "Pakis", Gypos", "nips", these are definitely well into the category of racism. 

But calling Australian sports teams "convicts" will always be just fine with me. Big smile

Historical context and the implied meaning of the term is the important thing, isn't it?

Like as I said I wouldn't like an English person calling me a "Mick", because hey, England occupied Ireland for 800 years and I'd feel there would be a menacing historical air to that term, but I'd occasionally call them "Tans" myself, and justify it to myself and to others based on the same fact of that occupation.

It gets even more complicated when you look at intra-country, regional terms, or terms applied to followers of particular football clubs.

What's acceptable and what's not?

Thoughts?

Edited by sid waddell - 02 Aug 2020 at 11:29pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 11:19pm
Everything’s out
It’s all inappropriate in this day and age
Thought of all people you would know that 
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Everything’s out
It’s all inappropriate in this day and age
Thought of all people you would know that 
No, I think you're using a deliberately reductionist and crude bad faith narrative which is often used by the far right, ie. the "cancel culture" narrative, in order to avoid engaging your brain, and also to play an imagined victim, ya northern bollix, wat aboot ya 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 11:27pm
Thoughts also welcome from culchie bogmonster types here
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 11:35pm
Like you say, all down to context and tone. I’ve been in England with work for example and been called a Paddy in jest by lads I’ve been working with. It was all part of the banter and I returned it with ‘tans’ or ‘tommy’ as well as other references such as dont forget to check under your car... all taken in good spirits and no feelings hurt. 

I see zero reason why people cannot have jovial banter such as this. Obviously if this was all said with intent then its different. Currently in work, I regularly work with an English lad, a nordy lad and an American/german and the sl*gging can be great craic but we all know the line.
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 11:40pm
Tans, Paddies, Yanks, Frogs , Ruskies would be alright.

The out would be the likes of Paki, wop, chink.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Like you say, all down to context and tone. I’ve been in England with work for example and been called a Paddy in jest by lads I’ve been working with. It was all part of the banter and I returned it with ‘tans’ or ‘tommy’ as well as other references such as dont forget to check under your car... all taken in good spirits and no feelings hurt. 

I see zero reason why people cannot have jovial banter such as this. Obviously if this was all said with intent then its different. Currently in work, I regularly work with an English lad, a nordy lad and an American/german and the sl*gging can be great craic but we all know the line.
You might all know the line, but I think there a lot of people who don't, or who don't care about the line 

And sometimes the lines can be a bit fuzzy

And it seems there also also a lot of people who want to make it even fuzzier
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Do you also think it's clever to call Welsh people "taffs" or French people "frogs" ?

I don't ever refer to you lads as being "paddies" or "micks" because I know that's a stupid, patronising, demeaning stereotypical name for a great Irish people.

What's the feeling on this? 

Do we adopt a broad brush generalised policy one way or the other across the board as to whether these sort of names are acceptable or unacceptable, or do we operate on a case by case basis?

Like, I wouldn't find "Paddies" offensive but that's probably because I'm Irish and we often use the term in a sort of self-deprecating manner about ourselves. 

If an English person said it, particularly a Brexiteer type (I'm self-consciously using an implied stereotype here about Brexit supporters and what they're like), I might draw a conclusion that they were likely an arsehole - depending on context - but I wouldn't be offended to the point where I'd be of the opinion that the term should never be used by English people. 

"Micks" carries a more insulting air about it. If an English person called me a "Mick" in an unironic, insulting manner, or applied "thick" before it, as commonly done, ie. "a thick Mick", I would have a problem.

"Jock" or "Jocko" doesn't seem that offensive to me, there's a sort of a slightly mocking tone yet simultaneously an implication of a liking for the Scotch, sorry, Scots.

"Taff" or "Taffy" can hardly be offensive, can it, given that it's only derived from the river that flows through Cardiff.

"Tan" as used by Irish people about the English is obviously an insult. The truth is that if English people started complaining about the use of this term there would a large body of Irish opinion which would double down on the use of the term. 

The Scots often call the English "the Sasenachs", don't they Ersatz Thistle?

I guess all the above terms carry a sort of unspoken implication that they're being used by an overwhelmingly majority white people against other majority white peoples, and all of them share a similar culture. Basically "we can insult or take the piss out of people like us". The Eamon Dunphy "it's not racism, Bill, it's ethnic criticism" excuse/defence.

Once you start getting into "Frogs" and "Krauts" it starts getting murkier I think, because the cultural gap starts to get wider. These terms are the stereotypical terms of your stereotypical little Englander Basil Fawlty type. But again because these are aimed at majority white nations, it's hard to say they're properly racist.

"Wop" or "Dago" is definitely crossing the line though. You might say Italians or Spaniards are white too, but they're further away in culture, and the terms are meant insults based on darker skin tone.

Once you start going outside Europe into majority nations of colour the line is clear. Conor Lenihan's "kebabs" about Turks, "Pakis", Gypos", "nips", these are definitely well into the category of racism. 

But calling Australian sports teams "convicts" will always be just fine with me. Big smile

Historical context and the implied meaning of the term is the important thing, isn't it?

Like as I said I wouldn't like an English person calling me a "Mick", because hey, England occupied Ireland for 800 years and I'd feel there would be a menacing historical air to that term, but I'd occasionally call them "Tans" myself, and justify it to myself and to others based on the same fact of that occupation.

It gets even more complicated when you look at intra-country, regional terms, or terms applied to followers of particular football clubs.

What's acceptable and what's not?

Thoughts?

I like you Sid but your analysis of "Jock" is wrong

It started off as a patronising but affectionate term for Scottish soldiers of the British Army in the Victorian era. Into the 20th Century it gradually became a mocking term of abuse in English music halls, third rate comedy films and by Conservative politicians.

With recent obvious developments in Scottish politics, "Jock" has now became an out an out term of hate by your average Daily Telegraph, Daily Mail, Guido Fawkes blog "comment is free" contributor (take a look if you don't believe me) outraged that our government steers a different course from Westminster, the people are increasing questioning the value of the union and moaning that "the sweaties" are getting are getting all "our" money. My advice to these people is to boycott penicillin.

With regard to "Sassenach" I'm hand-on-heart struggling to recall ever hearing anyone ever use that word in a conversation. It's such a redundant, antiquated term. A lot of kids born in the last twenty years probably won't even know what it means. 

I do sometimes come across the occasional idiot online using the term "nigel" or "nigels" to describe English people which I think is a bloody stupid, braindead thing to say.

Certainly, Welsh friends and acquaintances of mine would not take kindly to being called "a taff" even in a playful sense.

So no, I object to the use of the word "Jock" and respectfully ask not to be called it by anyone.

Edited by ErsatzThistle - 02 Aug 2020 at 11:47pm
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 11:48pm

You might all know the line, but I think there a lot of people who don't, or who don't care about the line 

And sometimes the lines can be a bit fuzzy

And it seems there also also a lot of people who want to make it even fuzzier
I think most people know where the line is but choose to ignore it when it suits their agenda. 

Where the line is crossed, people need to be big enough and mature enough to accept that if/when pulled up on it. Work wise, I’m lucky enough that the shift I usually work with can all take a joke, take a sl*gging and importantly give it back. On occasion something has been said that is unacceptable to one or more involved, but given the dynamic in the group its dealt with very easily and is never an issue.

Adults being adults.....with childish banter thrown in.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

Tans, Paddies, Yanks, Frogs , Ruskies would be alright.

The out would be the likes of Paki, wop, chink.

In bare wordy terms, "Paki" would be the same as "Ruskie" or "Aussie" or "Argie" or even "Dub" or "Manc" in that it is derived from the place name

But obviously "Paki" is racist for the reason that it has traditionally been used as a term of white abuse and incitement to abuse against Pakistani people

Different contexts

"Argie" I guess would be considered a bit xenophobic because when you see or hear the term you always imagine a front cover of The Sun celebrating the torpedoing of the Belgrano or whinging about Maradona -  but probably not outright racist

"Frog" and "Kraut" and "Argie" are gateway terms into outright racism when used in an English context, I think

Like if you hear an English person say "Frogs" about the French, well it sounds very Little Englander

Whereas it doesn't sound as bad from an Irish tongue because we don't have any historical enmity with the French, which also makes us less inclined to use the term

Edited by sid waddell - 02 Aug 2020 at 11:56pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 12:01am
You’ve some hardon for the old racism Sid

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 12:10am

I like you Sid but your analysis of "Jock" is wrong

It started off as a patronising but affectionate term for Scottish soldiers of the British Army in the Victorian era. Into the 20th Century it gradually became a mocking term of abuse in English music halls, third rate comedy films and by Conservative politicians.

With recent obvious developments in Scottish politics, "Jock" has now became an out an out term of hate by your average Daily Telegraph, Daily Mail, Guido Fawkes blog "comment is free" contributor (take a look if you don't believe me) outraged that our government steers a different course from Westminster, the people are increasing questioning the value of the union and moaning that "the sweaties" are getting are getting all "our" money. My advice to these people is to boycott penicillin.

With regard to "Sassenach" I'm hand-on-heart struggling to recall ever hearing anyone ever use that word in a conversation. It's such a redundant, antiquated term. A lot of kids born in the last twenty years probably won't even know what it means. 

I do sometimes come across the occasional idiot online using the term "nigel" or "nigels" to describe English people which I think is a bloody stupid, braindead thing to say.

Certainly, Welsh friends and acquaintances of mine would not take kindly to being called "a taff" even in a playful sense.

So no, I object to the use of the word "Jock" and respectfully ask not to be called it by anyone.

Fair enough

There's definitely a noticeable uptick in anti-Scottish sentiment in the English pres, especially the Tory press, and possibly in England in general due to the independence movement, and those media entities you mention are in my view really toxic and a haven for horrible, bigoted, barely cloaked racist, xenophobic and imperialist views

And I can certainly see how when it comes from an English person and certainly a particular type of English person with a particular type of political opinion, that it would not be welcome

I think a lot of people who use the term "Jock" use it in an endearing or friendly manner however, and I think that's certainly the case when it comes from an Irish tongue, it's not meant as an insult 

I think that might also be the case among English people who are open to Scottish political self-determination regarding independence

But yeah, the Daily Telegraph etc. are definitely using it in a deliberately negative/insulting way

I remember the term "Taffy" being used in The Office by David Brent about a character called Glyn

There was a bang of Little Englander off the use of it alright

I think a lot of these words carry more threatening or insulting connotations when they come from an English mouth, because they imply English superiority, even if that may sometimes not be the intention

Edited by sid waddell - 03 Aug 2020 at 12:11am
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 12:17am

Where the line is crossed, people need to be big enough and mature enough to accept that if/when pulled up on it. 
If the INTERNET has created one thing it's a generation of people who can never back down on anything, ever

Because the person they're arguing with is to all intents and purposes, a computer screen, not a human

INTERNET arguments promote literal dehumanisation of others
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 12:22am
Calling African teams "naive" at World Cups was always a great favourite of the English media

This from a country whose team conceded a goal against San Marino in 7.8 seconds 
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 12:42am

Fair enough

There's definitely a noticeable uptick in anti-Scottish sentiment in the English pres, especially the Tory press, and possibly in England in general due to the independence movement, and those media entities you mention are in my view really toxic and a haven for horrible, bigoted, barely cloaked racist, xenophobic and imperialist views

And I can certainly see how when it comes from an English person and certainly a particular type of English person with a particular type of political opinion, that it would not be welcome

I think a lot of people who use the term "Jock" use it in an endearing or friendly manner however, and I think that's certainly the case when it comes from an Irish tongue, it's not meant as an insult 

I think that might also be the case among English people who are open to Scottish political self-determination regarding independence

But yeah, the Daily Telegraph etc. are definitely using it in a deliberately negative/insulting way

I remember the term "Taffy" being used in The Office by David Brent about a character called Glyn

There was a bang of Little Englander off the use of it alright

I think a lot of these words carry more threatening or insulting connotations when they come from an English mouth, because they imply English superiority, even if that may sometimes not be the intention

Thanks for understanding my point of view Sid and for a very reasonable response Thumbs Up
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 12:59am
Remember the Manchester United chant

Park, Park, wherever you may be
You eat dogs in your home country
But it could be worse, you could be Scouse
Eating rats in your council house

Reading the above, it's no surprise that Manchester United supporters top the list of racist arrests in English football

I find the anti-Liverpool sentiment, as contained in the above chant, is almost a form of racism

It's designed to demonise Scousers and to demonise poor and working class people in general, a very Tory sentiment from the Manchester United supporters

Liverpool supporters are also referred to as "bin dippers", which does the same thing

When you consider the way Liverpool supporters were mendaciously vilified after Hillsborough, and still are in many quarters, as well as Thatcher's "the enemy within" comment (which although it may not been aimed specifically at Liverpool was felt very much by Scousers), it adds up to a bilious campaign of hate which would be called xenophobic and racist if the targets of it came from elsewhere

No other area in England is or has been the target of this sort of generalised stereotyping and venom (although Islington has been shooting up the charts in a different way in that regard over the last four or five years)

It reminds me of the bile against Neapolitans from the north of Italy which Maradona used to create a siege mentality when he was in Naples, culminating in that World Cup semi-final against Italy in 1990

I think it's no surprise that Liverpool supporters have taken to booing God Save The Queen, and many, probably most Scousers have little or no identification with England, not just the team but the country, and there is lots of active hostility there

The politics is the proof of the sentiment, while the Tories are now winning in former mining strongholds where there were pitched battles during the strike, in Liverpool they are absolutely run out of the place, they are hated

Edited by sid waddell - 03 Aug 2020 at 1:03am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 7:49am
You’re proving my point with your last two posts Sid, that everything is out

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 03 Aug 2020 at 7:50am
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 9:06am
The correct response to being called a "Paddy', 'Jock', 'Taffy' or any other such slur is a bottle to their head; unless of course it is implicitly implied by the nature of the relationship.
One of the things that made it hardest for me to settle in London was the constant casual racist slurs while working in pubs and played a huge part in my own understanding of how importantlanguage is in the battle against racism, not that my situation is in anyway comparable to what other ethnicities have received. The sort of people who use such things are always ****s anyway. When they try and use rhyming slang to do so, such as 'Sweaties', you just feel embarrassed for them.
The only thing I will say for it, ET, is that they are helping to speed up your independence process exponentially! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic