Topic ClosedMy Open Letter to Stan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Open Letter to Stan
    Posted: 12 Oct 2007 at 9:39am
Sorry this long lads, but I've had all that I can take ahead of the next 2 games......

Dear Steve,

It gives me no pleasure to write this letter, having admired you from the terraces (when we had them) and stands from the day you made your debut at Lansdowne against Tunisia in 1988 to that heartbreaking penalty shoot-out in Suwwon in 2002 when you retired after a record breaking haul of caps.

But fans are fickle as you know Stan (can I call you Stan?) and the game of football is probably even more fickle so I hope you'll understand where I'm coming from on this.

I've been going to Lansdowne since 1973 so I feel that I'm qualified to comment on the state of the Irish national team. Although I am a recovering Rovers fan and passionate Celtic fan, it is my beloved Irish team that has dominated my complete support since that first time my father brought me to that All-Ireland XI selection that played World Champions Brazil. I was immediately seduced by the green white and orange flags and the shouts of "Come on Ireland", this was the business.

But I digress, I think you get the message that I'm now a 41 year old member of the Green Army, but probably even more passionate now than ever, if a bit more measured in my comments and criticism.

So to the point of this Stan, which is our miserable European Qualifying campaign for the 2008 party in Austria and Switzerland. I think miserable is a fair description of how it has been and I am disappointed and amazed you have continued to go ahead with words like "progressing nicely" and "4 year plans" and other such ambiguous spin, when the evidence clearly points in a downward curve that doesn't appear to be abating in this fan's eyes.

May I review it as briefly as I can Stan? In the 9 games played, I have attended 7, with the Cyprus and San Marino debacles the ones I thankfully didn't shell out money for, a few cans in front of the TV was scant enough comfort for me those evenings...but back to game one, away to Germany.

You used the word "magnificent" on the night a fortunate goal was enough for the Germans. In what way were we magnificent? Shay Given was magnificent certainly (isn't he usually always?), but who else was? Our captain Robbie Keane? No. Robbie's contribution was an early header wide and his unlucky deflection of Podolski's free past Shay for the only goal. Richie Dunne was excellent on the night, magnificent, not this time but would be in later games. In truth Stan, only Shay's magnificence and the woodwork saved us from a similar drubbing to that meted out by Holland a few weeks before that. We were certainly spirited, but magnificent we were not. Your banishment to the touchline for booting the water bottle and dissent to the ref was not magnificent, that was just embarrassing as an Irish Manager. You're meant to be in control Stan, much as I admire passion, this was just childish.

Next up, oh dear, I'll keep this short, Cyprus away. Yes I'll keep it very short, Cyprus 5, Ireland 2, despite us going ahead through Stephen Ireland early on. We'll move on if you don't mind and I'm sure you don't, the cold sweat is already returning.

Four days on and with the Liveline callers (I wasn't one of them by the way) still ringing in everyone's ears and Letters to the newspaper Editors (I was one of these) pouring in, pride was somewhat restored with a battling 1-1 draw with the Czechs. Ah yes, this was more like it Stan, a new red-headed warrior in McShane giving Koller a hard time and the roof lifting off the old kip Lansdowne when Killer popped up on the end of Duffer's cross. Pride restored, but one point from three games nevertheless.

Next up, San Marino in Dublin. Hiding to nothing these games I'll agree and 5-0 and a captain's hat trick was probably a job well done but our performance in the 2nd half was very poor against what amounts to a pub team if we're really honest. Andy Reid stood out (so he should) with his passing ability, but he stood out all the same.

Brrrrrrrrrrr, the cold sweat's out again as I recall the lowest point of my time supporting the Boys in Green. San Marino away and that young man Stevie Ireland saved your skin with a scrambled tap-in from a long throw in the 93rd minute. I kept the Cyprus debacle short, I can't do that here. Stan, this was a complete shambles from beginning to end. A scoreless first half was bad enough, but after finally breaking through with Killer's header, why didn't we go for the jugular and play with a bit of intelligence? San Marino's goal had to be seen to be believed for its sheer slapstick as Hunty and Stokes were "sprang" from the bench for their international debuts, Stokes replacing another debutant Long. Anyway, Stevie saved your bacon as I waited for your post-match interview. Well Stan, my relatively new widescreen almost felt my size 7 boot as words like "character" and "fighting spirit" filled my ears. Forgive the expression Stan, but for F*ck's sake, you don't need character and fighting spirit to see off a pub team. You need a coherent plan, a set of players who know what they're trying to do, a captain who leads by example. None of those were apparent on this shameful night. As Jim Royle might say, "Fighting spirit my arse".....I felt sorry for the Green Army that night, but I'm sure they let you have it pitchside and quite frankly Stan you deserved it.

Mercifully there was a winter break from competitive action and we had Croke Park to look forward to in March. While we got back on track with a win over Wales, this was as bad a game I can remember going to in a long time. Wales were awful, we weren't a whole lot better as that man Stevie Ireland again stepped up to the mark with an expertly taken goal.

Mine and others questions to you on that day ranged from: Why is the best right back in the Premiership (Finnan) playing on the left? Why is O'Shea (not best anything in the Premiership) on the right when he's played dozens of times there for Ireland and United? What was supposed to happen in centre midfield with 2 grafters in there, Douglas and Carsley? Neither is going to dictate a game or get on the ball, so what was the thinking behind that? Why was Wales Carl Robinson identified by you as a "playmaker"? Are you having a laugh? Since when is he a playmaker? I'm tempted to ask you about Kevin Doyle but he was just back after injury and got on near the end but Robbie got booked today and is out for the next game, so would Doyle have started next Wednesday? Will the exciting Hunt be starting against the Slovaks? He was terrific in his Welsh cameo, hungry, daring, direct, just what we need. But a win is a win is win n'est pas? So many questions we had that day.....

Some of them were answered 4 days later, though the Finnan/O'Shea situation remained the same, albeit with O'Shea playing reasonably well instead of his usual awful.

The fit again Doyle lifted the crowd with a tremendous header early on as Duffer played with the freedom of his 2002 World Cup again at last. But as the Slovaks strived to get a goal back, we depended again on Given, Dunne and McShane to keep them out and there was another eye-catching cameo from the increasingly endearing Hunty. But in fairness, I think we all reckoned there was some light at the end of the tunnel as the curtain came down on competitive action for 6 months. We still had qualification to play for in our much-anticipated jolly up in Bratislava and Prague.

So six months on and the Green Army waved you and the lads away from the Bratislava Raddison en route to the Slovan Stadium to tremendous vocal encouragement. But despite that young gem Stevie Ireland getting us off to the perfect start, the all too familiar concession of possession returned and it was no surprise when the Slovaks scored from a corner. Two free headers ensued, the second one ending up in Shay's net, basic training ground defending not properly carried out. We were relieved to hear the half time whistle.

With the Slovaks clearly there for the taking, we finally thought our 20 year wait for a notable away scalp had ended (though are Slovakia really that notable?) when Doyle thumped in that wonderful 25 yarder on the hour. This was the cue for even by your standards Stan, a most baffling substitution.

Darron Gibson was introduced for an admittedly poor McGeady. But why Gibson? He had played 45 minutes of international football in Aarhuis a few weeks before, a friendly against an already beaten Danish team. Andy Reid had played the first 45 minutes in that game when it was still a contest and had been superb, yet the completely untried and untested Gibson was in ahead of Reidy!!! Come on Stan, that will baffle me to my dying day. I hope Gibson's selection was not merely an act of defiance to the IFA amid squabbling over his allegiance, but I'm left thinking it was because I can see no logic as to why young Gibson can be thrown into a must win game while Andy Reid is left biting his tongue on the touchline. Gibson's contribution was predictably unsure, profligate and nervous, the antithesis of what Reidy would have provided.

Stevie Ireland's substitution late on with Douglas coming on was also curious, though not as baffling as the first one. Ireland was probably tired, the game while not secure was looking increasingly better for us, but Douglas hadn't exactly been setting the world on fire at Leeds this season, but we'd wait till full time and then make up our mind.

Well we know what happened alright, a 93rd minute route one ball from the Slovaks saw the otherwise magnificent Dunne hassled into heading into the path of Marek Cech, the left back that Douglas was meant to be minding. Where was our 2nd sub? Missing in action Stan. O'Shea less than manfully tried to close the gap as Marek rifled past the helpless Shay and the Green Army fell silent save for the thousands of rueful expletives as we held our Green heads in our hands. The final whistle sounded seconds later, nothing. Desolation, silence, despair, soon giving way to anger, fury, exasparation as Reidy warmed down to polite applause. Nice to see you sent Reidy out after all Stan, what an insult to him, what an insult to Hunty, what were you thinking? Reidy, Reidy, we chanted, see you in Prague.

Sorry Stan if I went off on one there, but this was the pivotal game in the group at this stage in my opinion. Four points would have been a nice haul over these 2 games, but already we got to Prague having to beat a still formidable Czechs, despite the absence of Koller and the retired Nedved. Two points were thrown away in Bratislava and you stand indicted for that and we headed to Prague in hope rather with any real belief that we'd plunder the points.

The team selection again brought much debate. Reidy was thankfully given his place, but this was made easy by Stevie's bizzare departure following the Slovak game. McGeady luckily retained his place after a shocker in Bratislava. Kelly and O'Shea continued out position, Hunty remained marooned as an "impact" sub. Come on Stan, is this really the team that can win us 3 points?

After 30 minutes chasing shadows and a goal down, O'Shea mercifully got injured and the fired up Hunty got his chance and by half time we all felt some renewed hope for the 2nd half as the Czechs ran scared of the mulleted Waterford man but all hope evaporated when he was harshly sent off after his 22 minute all action burst. Despite some huffing and puffing and plenty of effort and a few half chances, Jankulovski's early strike drove the penultimate nail into our coffin. Yet in the aftermath of our now comatose hopes, you spoke of "progress" and "plans" and such like, ah come on now Stan, thes past 2 games have demonstrated all that has been wrong about your appointment by your friend John Delaney.

Poor team selection, poor substitution policy, sloppy passing, ineffective set pieces, for Heaven's sake Stan, what have yiz been doing in training sessions? Where's the progress? How can it be called progress when 4 days after our draw in Bratislava, that awful Welsh team we beat in Croker, knocked in 5 tonight against the Slovaks? Where's the progress in leaving out still young enough players as Reidy and Hunty until it's too late?

You trot out the party (John Delaney party) line that until it's mathematically impossible, we're not out of qualification. Sorry Stan, that's just (again excuse my expression) boll*cks. Our respect for you as a player is in danger of being wiped away having to listen to your verbal you know what and frankly Stan, the fans have had their fill of what has become a truly miserable qualifying campaign.

I'd like to think you might do the decent thing at or before the end of this campaign and admit that you are not qualified to hold this position in a similar manner to Kevin Keegan's England departure after a German defeat at Wembley. I do not blame you for taking it, you are a proud and passionate Paddy Stan, you wore the shirt with distinction over 100 times, but as you'd be the first to admit, that's in the past. Sadly I don't see any future for us under your management. I hope that when the curtain does come down on your tenure as "Gaffer", the wounds will heal between you and the fans, but maybe you could limit the damage before it becomes irreparable.

Stand Down for the Boys in Green.

Yours sincerely.

Freewheeler.

We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Sponsored Links

erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2007 at 9:58am

f**kikn brilliant letter

I hope its en route to him

WELL DONE
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
duffer View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2007 at 10:10am

Superb Freewheeler.

�The seeds of doubt that were sown at the weekend against Egypt have been doused by a dose of Jack Charlton's almighty weedkiller.�

The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2007 at 10:12am
spot on freewheeler, very well written. Am completely rialled up again now!
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2007 at 10:17am
Id reckon its a shoe in for the next mag
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
The_Yank View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2007 at 10:27am
Some of the best writing I have read in a long time Freewheeler... absolutely brilliant.  Blunt and honest... nothing more could be said.. See if any of the papers will print it before the match.  You have done the Green Army proud. Clap
UCD Physios ...We feel you up when you're feeling down
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2007 at 10:29am
yeah defo for the next mag freewheeler
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2007 at 10:39am
I know I went on a bit, thanks for the reaction.  As I won't be there tomorrow I had to let off steam today.  Make sure and get the Delaney abuse in for me and enjoy the game and the beers.......I'm off for a few Friday pints.....g'luck to yiz all.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2007 at 10:41am
Bualadh Bos Freewheeler Clap
Tremendous letter and definitely echoing my own feelings on the Staunton Years, as I'm sure this shambolic catasrophe of a tenure will become known as. Hope you send it into to all the papers and Radio Stations.
Actually, we should hand out photocopies of this letter to as many fans as possible at Croker tomorrow and ask everyone to post it to Merrion Square on Monday.
Maith an Fear FW, litir iontach é. Star
I used to be a schizophrenic.......and so was I
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2007 at 10:49am
Good man FW, i took me about 47 mins and 4 cups of tea to read it but it was spot on.
my brother makes a good point about printing out the letter and sending it to merrion square. the latest decent chant i heard was, to the tune of "jose mourinho"; "we want delaney out".....it's catchy and easy!
Justice View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2007 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Cookie Monster Cookie Monster wrote:

Bualadh Bos Freewheeler Clap
Tremendous letter and definitely echoing my own feelings on the Staunton Years, as I'm sure this shambolic catasrophe of a tenure will become known as. Hope you send it into to all the papers and Radio Stations.
Actually, we should hand out photocopies of this letter to as many fans as possible at Croker tomorrow and ask everyone to post it to Merrion Square on Monday.
Maith an Fear FW, litir iontach é. Star

I've already printed mine off Cookie Monster and got the office girl ( yes she's fit) to envelope and stamp it and sent it across.
P.S. Well played FW - tough but fair
Irelands Call my arse...
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2007 at 11:31am
[/QUOTE]

I've already printed mine off Cookie Monster and got the office girl ( yes she's fit) to envelope and stamp it and sent it across.
P.S. Well played FW - tough but fair
[/QUOTE]

Did you watch her lick the envelope Justice? Tongue  oooooh aaaarr
The_Yank View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2007 at 11:43am
next time pretend you are making a call on your mobile and snap a photo for us.... no need being greedy and keeping her all to yourself.

Thumbs%20Up
UCD Physios ...We feel you up when you're feeling down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2007 at 11:56am
Good Call Yank! She could be our friday hotty totty Tongue
C'mon Justice, spread the eye candy Wink
billybunter View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2007 at 1:01pm
As a dedicated Irish fan, that letter sums up the timeframe  from sept 1st 2006, through Friday Oct 12, 2007.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic