You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My idea for a new format for the league of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My idea for a new format for the league of Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 8:49pm
Lads can someone provide a link to the "you need a promotion and relagation to have a national team"? I've seen that posted a number of times on here. I think that has to be some kind of mistake. Nearly every country in the world has a national team, even tiny countries. I am sure they do not have leagues with promotion/relegation.

Is the rule not getting mixed up with someething else? For example, to be able for clubs to enter European competition then you need a league with promotion/relegation.

In any case, even with a 20 team division league there could still be a promotion/relgation to the winner of a regional league plaf-off series or something
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 9:03pm
I can't find a link, I have googled as I came across it before. As far as I am aware, it is a UEFA demand, hence the fact leagues such as the MLS don't need it. All UEFA members do have promotion and relegation, even places like Andorra, Gibraltar and Liechtenstein
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 9:57pm
Liechtenstien don't have a league but their clubs do play in Switzerland.
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 1:10pm
Agree with the idea of one league, even 16 teams would do the job. 2 regional divisions underneath tapping into the like of the Leinster Senior and Munster Senior teams. Promotion and relegation done in the same way as conference north and south in England. Too many games against the same sides these days although thank Christ were big doing the 4 games a season anymore.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Cork dont bring a large support anywhere

Been over this loads of times use the search tool it's boring at this stage.

I have no idea on Crok traveling but I was very surprised at how few Cork fans were at the Pats game. I thought the Cork fans living in Dublin would've gone to the game, that said I was with a Cork fan in the home end, but still point stands.
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 1:58pm
Kinda off topic, but is their UEFA funding/grants for leagues?

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 2:59pm
basically what needs to happen is scrap the first division, have 4 provincial leagues, with the four winners going into a play off for promotion to the premier division. The Munster senior league will have to include teams like from the other counties in munster and not just from cork like it is now.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
starryplough View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starryplough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 6:44pm
This same stuff gets posted every other month, should all be confined to the one thread
Some Clubs Are Bigger Than Others
billyoung View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 9:21pm
This.best way to improve the league is the fai to take a f**kin interest and the best fans in the world to get off the sofa and go to a match.billy agrees with starry shocker,but they do seem to pop up every month or so.
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Lads can someone provide a link to the "you need a promotion and relagation to have a national team"? I've seen that posted a number of times on here. I think that has to be some kind of mistake. Nearly every country in the world has a national team, even tiny countries. I am sure they do not have leagues with promotion/relegation.

Is the rule not getting mixed up with someething else? For example, to be able for clubs to enter European competition then you need a league with promotion/relegation.

In any case, even with a 20 team division league there could still be a promotion/relgation to the winner of a regional league plaf-off series or something

Someone mentioned hear that it was brought in during the start of the 90's the reason why Wales we're forced to develop a national league, no source though. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 5:13pm
I commend the OP for spending some time to think about how to improve the league.
This is the part where I piss on your parade ABFC.

A one team league would be unwatchable. The current league table isn't full of excitement as it is.
In a one team league you would essentially have 4 sides in European spots with maybe one or 2 hoping to go on a bit of a run and get in there. That means in a 20 team league we`d have 14 teams plus with nothing to play for at a very early stage of the season. Would you go to watch Bray and Finn Harps playing a game to decide who finishes 16th?

The big USP for a one team league is that it would give small clubs games against bigger clubs. It could just as easily do the opposite and drag our better clubs down.

All that is before we mention the fact we are required to have a 2 tier league by UEFA.

As has been suggested the most sensible thing to do is to make a 10 team Super league.
If its good enough for the Swiss its good enough for us.
The league would have 4 European spots and 1 automatic relegation place and 1 play off relegation place means conceivably a team in 6th battling for Europe could end up in a relegation battle.
Mid table would consist of one or 2 teams at best.
Small teams like Bray and Limerick rolling into town twice a season does nothing for a club trying to build crowds.
There also isn't the pool of decent players in the country to support 12 top tier teams.
If the league had 5 marquee fixtures every week that would be much more marketable.
To have such a small premier division would require a strong first division. The reason it didn't work before was because this wasn't the case. UCD being a Premier Division side also didn't help but if they manage to find their way in there then we`d have to live with it.

The 10 sides in the league would need to be tightly policed and if they step out of line e.g not paying managers and players or other stupid stuff. Then they should be relegated.

If we had a strong regionalised FD with at least 8 teams in each division with a finals phase similar to the MLS that would be far preferable to the current system.

FD sides are starting to wake up to the merits of such a system as Athlone have come out this week and supported it.

Where would the teams come from?
A regionalised first division would be much more appealing to club sides who have shown an interest in the past but opted against joining the league due to costs. Sides like Tullamore, Castlebar, Carlow/Kilkenny and Monaghan United could be tempted into such a format.

For the league to grow we would need both divisions to be strong. We`d require 10 "model clubs" conducting themselves in a professional manner. They wouldn't have to be full time professional to do that.

Our major problem is not that we don't have enough clubs its that we don't have enough well run clubs. Every club never seems to be far from some managerial/owner/player/financial based circus.

The First Division clubs would ideally aspire to that and be able to build their clubs in the FD.

The Dutch first division system is worth a read. Its a bit complicated to write here but I like the system of giving a team a place in a promotion play off after every round of games.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eerste_Divisie

Edited by Bitored - 19 Jul 2015 at 5:45pm
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 5:25pm
A one team league would be exceptionally boring
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 7:23pm
Wexford getting promoted isn't going to help the league next season. They'll get relegated, they've no real stadium and they don't pay their players.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Wexford getting promoted isn't going to help the league next season. They'll get relegated, they've no real stadium and they don't pay their players.

You could say the same about a lot of the current Premier Division sides. At least with Wexford they are amateur and haven't committed to paying players.
The league needs sides like Wexford to grow and develop or else discussions on league formats are pointless.
Wexford have had awful attendances only beaten by UCD this year.
If they are to develop they need to get into the Premier and try to grow a fan base if they cant do that they are just going to be another Kildare County/Kilkenny City and the rest.

Edited by Bitored - 19 Jul 2015 at 7:35pm
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

You could say the same about a lot of the current Premier Division sides. At least with Wexford they are amateur and haven't committed to paying players.
The league needs sides like Wexford to grow and develop or else discussions on league formats are pointless.
If they are to develop they need to get into the Premier and try to grow a fan base if they cant do that they are just going to be another Kildare County/Kilkenny City and the rest.
You'll never get fans if you don't have a stadium near a town.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 9:23pm

Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

You'll never get fans if you don't have a stadium near a town.

You need fans to afford that. Caught in a vicious circle.
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 9:30pm
12 teams or larger produces the type of farce where the League winners will this year likely finish +70pts ahead of Limerick or 2011 when Rovers finished 71pts & 145 goals more than bottom side Galway, who thankfully as a Club have since bounced back superbly. In fact iirc only two seasons in the last 10 have seen a bottom Club finish within 50 pts of the League winner. 
We have to decide do we want a financially sustainable league with progressive Clubs off the pitch who can compete regularly on the pitch in the Europa League Groups and higher aswell as consistently supply several players to the Senior & U21 Squads. Or, do we want a continually crisis ridden League struggling for four figure attendances because it's dragged down by pandering to mealy mouth, parochial arse-banditry concerns??.... Sharon, get me Delaney on Line 1 please...
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 9:39pm
Spot on again MF.

As regards Wexford's attendances, what exactly are they doing about it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic