You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My idea for a new format for the league of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My idea for a new format for the league of Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ABFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My idea for a new format for the league of Ireland
    Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 4:48pm
I understand the following suggestions will have a lot of traditionalists think I'm mad but I firmly believe it would make the league overall more entertaining and more attractive to the market. I think we all need to think outside the box as the current model simply isn't working and never will work.

• The Premier and the Division 1 will amalgamate and have one division of 20 teams. Each team plays each other twice and derbies such as Rovers vs Bohs will mean so much more if there's only two games against each other a season. Having a twenty team league will also benefit smaller teams from Division 1 who would thrive with having large away support from Cork etc visit them.

• Perhaps the most controversial suggestion but I would do away with draws. If at the end of 90 minutes it is all square,  it will go straight to a penalty shoot-out. 

• Bonus points for teams -- If a team wins by more than two goals they will receive five points for the win. It would result in teams actively attacking even if they go one-nil up as opposed to just sitting back and grinding out a win. 

• At present we've Dundalk most likely walking away with the league with a month to spare. How about we've a play off and a grand final. Picture the hype and excitement around that. The top four teams qualify for the semi-finals and then the winners have a two legged home and away games. I think this would result in huge excitement and hype around the final few games of the year. 

What do all you brothers think?

Edited by ABFC - 17 Jul 2015 at 4:49pm
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 4:54pm
1. You need promotion and relegation tohave a national team. It would also make so many games absolutely pointless.

2.why?

3.no. it would destroy the league. I am not sure if I would go to such a game.

4. It woukd make the league season meaningless, it is the best of the suggestions though
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 4:55pm
No promotion/relegation in the MLS or A League
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
ABFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

1. You need promotion and relegation tohave a national team. It would also make so many games absolutely pointless.

2.why?

3.no. it would destroy the league. I am not sure if I would go to such a game.

4. It woukd make the league season meaningless, it is the best of the suggestions though

What?

Have you any suggestions?
ABFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna1 <div><br>4. It woukd make the league season meaningless, it is the best of the suggestions though [/QUOTE pre Madonna1 

4. It woukd make the league season meaningless, it is the best of the suggestions though [/QUOTE wrote:

How would it make it meaningless? Teams would strive to be in the top 4. A fixture

How would it make it meaningless? Teams would strive to be in the top 4. A fixture between a 5th and 6th placed team in October could have huge significance.

Edited by ABFC - 17 Jul 2015 at 5:01pm
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 5:07pm
I wouldn't be increasing the teams in the league reducing to 10 if anything. If the first division was regionalised it would solve alot of issues. Great hearing ideas though.
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

No promotion/relegation in the MLS or A League

and they are not run by uefa, it is a uefa stipulation
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 5:15pm
I have always believed in regionalisation outside the top league. I also agree that it should be a ten team premier

Teams strive to get into the top 4 now, the problem is there is a gap between the top 4 and the rest. I would imagine this years top 4 will be next years.

Edited by pre Madonna - 17 Jul 2015 at 5:16pm
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 5:39pm
Cork dont bring a large support anywhere
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Been over this loads of times use the search tool it's boring at this stage.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

what has that got to do with the price of fish?
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by ABFC ABFC wrote:

I understand the following suggestions will have a lot of traditionalists think I'm mad but I firmly believe it would make the league overall more entertaining and more attractive to the market. I think we all need to think outside the box as the current model simply isn't working and never will work.

• The Premier and the Division 1 will amalgamate and have one division of 20 teams. Each team plays each other twice and derbies such as Rovers vs Bohs will mean so much more if there's only two games against each other a season. Having a twenty team league will also benefit smaller teams from Division 1 who would thrive with having large away support from Cork etc visit them.

• Perhaps the most controversial suggestion but I would do away with draws. If at the end of 90 minutes it is all square,  it will go straight to a penalty shoot-out. 

• Bonus points for teams -- If a team wins by more than two goals they will receive five points for the win. It would result in teams actively attacking even if they go one-nil up as opposed to just sitting back and grinding out a win. 

• At present we've Dundalk most likely walking away with the league with a month to spare. How about we've a play off and a grand final. Picture the hype and excitement around that. The top four teams qualify for the semi-finals and then the winners have a two legged home and away games. I think this would result in huge excitement and hype around the final few games of the year. 

The first suggestion would be a total disaster. In Argentina they have tried exactly this merging the Primera with an additional 10 sides from the Primera B Nacional and have made a complete dogs abortion out of what was a decent league. Already they've decided this Liguilla is a disaster and will drop eight teams off for next season, quality has dropped with larger player pool, crowds have dropped off from meaningless mid table floater games and a smaller slice of cake for each club to share is available. When you add teams you dilute quality, not improve it. I repeat for the hard of hearing When you add teams you dilute quality, not improve it.
Norway & Sweden also increased their Premier Division Leagues and the quality has gone down there also like Argentina.
I've said it before, for the size of the State (4.5m as opposed to the Country 6.2m), a 10-12 team Premier is more than enough.  

Without giving too much thought off the hop on this I'd like to see;
  • The Premier reduced in size to 10 teams with each club playing 2 homes and 2 aways per season like Switzerland & Austria, both of whom have larger populations. Smaller leagues produce a bigger slice of revenue shared out and more competitive games. Fcuk the parochial-minded cavemen who feel it's their "right" to have a Government Minister and a LOI Club in their town. No it's not a "right", you earn it on merit or you stay the fcuk where you are bitch.
  • Proper pyramid structure - One 10 team Premier and two 8 team sub-leagues for Promotion/Relegation Northern Division & Southern Divisions (both within the Republic). By having regular promotion/relegation with smaller leagues nobody gets to rest on their laurels and there are no dead-rubber end of season games. Also by having these two regionalised sub-leagues it (A) cuts down travel costs for Clubs & Supporters, and (B) increases the amont of derbies which will increase attendance in tribal Ireland.
  • Scrap the League Cup, it's beyond meaningless and adds to fixture congestion.
  • Start the season on March 17th, take advantage of our National holiday and make the connection for simpletons between a day of National Pride and Pride in your National League. Play the first game on March 17th as the actual President's Cup game that would double up as the first League fixture.
  • Use the seasonal weather and light to your advantage. Start the season March 17th and finish it at the end of November/start of December as opposed to the current start of March to end of October. Two reasons why; (1) pitches and weather for spectators is better during those dates and (2) when our Clubs do make Group games of Europe they will have competitive domestic fixtures right up to the end of season to help. When we played in the Europa Groups in 2011 our domestic season was finished end of October (26th??) but the Europa games went on until December!!!
  • Players back for pre-season Feb 1st. Off from early December to the following Feb 1st to facilitate 40 week contracts.
  • The current mid-season break is a farce. Let's be Frank here, or Mary; the mid-season break is when it is to facilitate the suits to fcuk off to the Euro-championships/World Cups. It doesn't help Clubs prepare for Europe, in fact it hinders them coz it leads to fixture back-log later on. The mid-season break should be the first two weeks of July to coincide with the First Round of Euro Competitions to help our Clubs prepare without distraction. But you would arrange the fixtures list so that when the 4 Clubs involved in Europe are playing that the other Clubs are also playing each other and not twiddling their thumbs and losing revenue.
  • Change the date of the FAI Cup Final to the so-called "Bank Holiday" Sunday at the end of October. Other than slavishly following the Brits where a Cup Final can only be held AFTER the League finishes change the date. Reason? It will facilitate Provincial Clubs and their support make a weekend overnight in the Capital for a final at Lansdowne.
  • We need to have an All-Ireland competition of some sort, to prepare for down the road and an All-Ireland League (not necessarily before or after re-unification), but also to break down current bigotry & suspicion on both sides of the border. The format will need to be carefully jigged tho to suit Clubs on both sides of the crayon mark.
  • Force the FAI the pay more prizemoney or we will burn the kip down.
  • And finally, get The Oracle of Dalkey aka LD, out of his Spiderman outfit and to a Shels Trailblazers game before he falls down the stairs and breaks his creamed-in transfer deadline-day Sky Sports pyjamas. 

The other suggestion (getting rid of draws) sounds a bit American to me and too radical. Also Penalties, whilst nerve shatteringly exciting at times, are a lousy way imo to decide a contest within a league structure whilst also exponentially increasing the National requirement for coronary by-pass surgery.  
Their might be merit to your other suggestions. I like the idea of a grand-final. This should be explored more Chief and congrats on the thread idea Thumbs Up

Edited by Madferret - 17 Jul 2015 at 6:22pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 5:51pm
Agree with all that, good work MF.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Madferret Madferret wrote:

Originally posted by ABFC ABFC wrote:

• <span style="line-height: 1.4;">The Premier and the Division 1 will amalgamate and have one division of 20 teams. Each team plays each other twice and derbies such as Rovers vs Bohs will mean so much more if </span>there's<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> only two games against each other a season. Having a twenty team league will also benefit smaller teams from Division 1 who would thrive with having large away support from Cork etc visit them.</span>

• <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Perhaps the most controversial suggestion but I would do away with draws. If at the end of 90 minutes it is all square,  it will go straight to a penalty shoot-out. </span>

• <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Bonus points for teams -- If a team wins by more than two goals they will receive five points for the win. It would result in teams actively attacking even if they go one-nil up as opposed to just sitting back and grinding out a win. </span>

• <span style="line-height: 1.4;">At </span>present<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> we've Dundalk most likely walking away with the league with a month to spare. How about we've a </span>play off<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> and a grand final. Picture the hype and excitement around that. The top four teams qualify for the semi-finals and then the winners have a </span>two legged<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> home and away games. I think this would result in huge excitement and hype around the final few games of the year. </span>

The first suggestion would be a total disaster. In Argentina they have tried exactly this merging the Primera with an additional 10 sides from the Primera B Nacional and have made a complete dogs abortion out of what was a decent league. Already they've decided this Liguilla is a disaster and will drop eight teams off for next season, quality has dropped with larger player pool, crowds have dropped off from meaningless mid table floater games and a smaller slice of cake for each club to share is available. When you add teams you dilute quality, not improve it. I repeat for the hard of hearing <u style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">When you add teams you dilute quality, not improve it.
Norway & Sweden also increased their Premier Division Leagues and the quality has gone down there also like Argentina.
I've said it before, for the size of the State (4.5m as opposed to the Country 6.2m), a 10-12 team Premier is more than enough.  

Without giving too much thought off the hop on this I'd like to see;
  • <span style="line-height: 1.4;">The Premier reduced in size to 10 teams with each club playing 2 homes and 2 aways per season like Switzerland & Austria, both of whom have larger populations. Smaller leagues produce a bigger slice of revenue shared out and more competitive games. Fcuk the parochial-minded cavemen who feel it's their "right" to have a Government Minister and a LOI Club in their town. No it's not a "right", you earn it on merit or you stay the fcuk where you are bitch.</span>
  • <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Proper pyramid structure - One 10 team Premier and two 8 team sub-leagues for Promotion/Relegation Northern Division & Southern Divisions (both within the Republic). By having regular promotion/relegation with smaller leagues nobody gets to rest on their laurels and there are no dead-rubber end of season games. Also by having these two regionalised sub-leagues it (A) cuts down travel costs for Clubs & Supporters, and (B) increases the amont of derbies which will increase attendance in tribal Ireland.</span>
  • <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Scrap the League Cup, it's beyond meaningless and adds to fixture congestion.</span>
  • <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Start the season on March 17th, take advantage of our National holiday and make the connection for simpletons between a day of National Pride and Pride in your National League. Play the first game on March 17th as the actual President's Cup game that would double up as the first League fixture.</span>
  • Use the seasonal weather and light to your advantage. Start the season March 17th and finish it at the end of November/start of December as opposed to the current start of March to end of October. Two reasons why; (1) pitches and weather for spectators is better during those dates and (2) when our Clubs do make Group games of Europe they will have competitive domestic fixtures right up to the end of season to help. When we played in the Europa Groups in 2011 our domestic season was finished end of October (26th??) but the Europa games went on until December!!!
  • Players back for pre-season Feb 1st. Off from early December to the following Feb 1st to facilitate 40 week contracts.
  • The current mid-season break is a farce. Let's be Frank here, or Mary; the mid-season break is when it is to facilitate the suits to fcuk off to the Euro-championships/World Cups. It doesn't help Clubs prepare for Europe, in fact it hinders them coz it leads to fixture back-log later on. The mid-season break should be the first two weeks of July to coincide with the First Round of Euro Competitions to help our Clubs prepare without distraction. But you would arrange the fixtures list so that when the 4 Clubs involved in Europe are playing that the other Clubs are also playing each other and not twiddling their thumbs and losing revenue.
  • Change the date of the FAI Cup Final to the so-called "Bank Holiday" Sunday at the end of October. Other than slavishly following the Brits where a Cup Final can only be held AFTER the League finishes change the date. Reason? It will facilitate Provincial Clubs and their support make a weekend overnight in the Capital for a final at Lansdowne.
  • We need to have an All-Ireland competition of some sort, to prepare for down the road and an All-Ireland League (not necessarily before or after re-unification), but also to break down current bigotry & suspicion on both sides of the border. The format will need to be carefully jigged tho to suit Clubs on both sides of the crayon mark.
  • Force the FAI the pay more prizemoney or we will burn the kip down.
  • And finally, get The Oracle of Dalkey aka LD, out of his Spiderman outfit and to a Shels Trailblazers game before he falls down the stairs and breaks his creamed-in transfer deadline-day Sky Sports pyjamas. 

The other suggestion (getting rid of draws) sounds a bit American to me and too radical. Also Penalties, whilst nerve shatteringly exciting at times, are a lousy way imo to decide a contest within a league structure.
Their might be merit to your other suggestions. I like the idea of a grand-final. This should be explored more Chief and congrats on the thread idea Thumbs Up

All fantastic suggestions in fairness I'd give ya Fran Gavins job tomorrow.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 6:02pm
We've had one division in the past, 12 team divisions, 10 team divisions, split halves, play-offs and bonus points for away teams. How many have worked?

The product isn't the problem. The image of the league is. That could be improved, if clubs wanted it to improve, rather than wanting to know what is in it for them before they consider any proposal. 

In every other league, the customer is king. In LOI the employee is king, and the customer can go spin if they don't like what is on the menu. 
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

All fantastic suggestions in fairness I'd give ya Fran Gavins job tomorrow.

An C Heart  And kill two birds at the same time putting him into a more appropriate role suitable to his qualifications as a shower-hat salesman complete with requisite dodgy combover. Me like Thumbs Up

Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 6:08pm
Agree with getting rid of draws. The winner of the shootout gets the 1 point and nothing for the losers.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 6:10pm
Why the persistent talk of one league, it would leave 80% of the teams with nothing to play for
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic