You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Most Unlikeable Player to Wear the Green of EIRE?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Unlikeable Player to Wear the Green of EIRE?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 11:08am
Stephen Ireland.
A special mention to Roy Keane too.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 12:23pm
There are a few that it was hard to warm to, despite that penalty Dave O'Leary was certainly one. He is pretty unbearable. Darron Gibson has never comeout of anything looking well and, despite being an admirer of Kieren Westwood as a goalkeeper,  his` 'good Catholic boy' comments grated.I can also understand the dislike of Lawrenson, but for being the campest man on the BBC and having the balls to stay married to a woman.......... you kind of have to admire that much denial.
I saw someone mentioned Sadlier in relation to the number of caps he got and his new found career as a pundit, I think both are unfair. He would have got a lot more caps if he wasn't cursed with that injury and I wish more news outlets would go for articulate and intelligent pundits over big name players. Watching the Champions League Final on BT, for example, was horrendous. I have long been in favour of the better sports journalists becoming involved on these panels, but I digress.

As for the most underrated, it his hard to disagree with Deise about Sheridan, he was quality and used far too sparingly. Some of the others mentioned were all good shouts too.

If we are doing overrated, probably Damien Duff. I was nearly always disappointed with his performances for Ireland, bar a few notable exceptions. 
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 12:29pm
Darren Gibson a totally unlikeable sour faced coont
George Zip View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Zip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 12:44pm
David O'Leary was supposed to be a bit of a pox?

Thank f**k Vinny Jones was never capped by us, I don't know if Jack would have picked him but he was searching for his Irish roots before declaring for Wales if I remembered correctly.
"Tell them to get out there and give it all they got and win just one for the Zipper. I don't know where I'll be then, Doc," he said, "but I won't smell too good, that's for sure."
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by George Zip George Zip wrote:

Thank f**k Vinny Jones was never capped by us, I don't know if Jack would have picked him but he was searching for his Irish roots before declaring for Wales if I remembered correctly.
Yeah, I remember that. I have a recollection of him being on The Late Late Show some time after too, discussing it. I think in trying to discover his Irish roots he found out his Grandad had been born in Wales.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Yeah, I remember that. I have a recollection of him being on The Late Late Show some time after too, discussing it. I think in trying to discover his Irish roots he found out his Grandad had been born in Wales.

Apparently his recoreds were lost in the Custom House fire in the War of Independence.  Thank fook.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 1:19pm
Roy Keane.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 2:11pm
Jon Macken! What a let down Cry
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 3:04pm

There are a few that it was hard to warm to, despite that penalty Dave O'Leary was certainly one. He is pretty unbearable. Darron Gibson has never comeout of anything looking well and, despite being an admirer of Kieren Westwood as a goalkeeper,  his` 'good Catholic boy' comments grated.I can also understand the dislike of Lawrenson, but for being the campest man on the BBC and having the balls to stay married to a woman.......... you kind of have to admire that much denial.
I saw someone mentioned Sadlier in relation to the number of caps he got and his new found career as a pundit, I think both are unfair. He would have got a lot more caps if he wasn't cursed with that injury and I wish more news outlets would go for articulate and intelligent pundits over big name players. Watching the Champions League Final on BT, for example, was horrendous. I have long been in favour of the better sports journalists becoming involved on these panels, but I digress.

As for the most underrated, it his hard to disagree with Deise about Sheridan, he was quality and used far too sparingly. Some of the others mentioned were all good shouts too.

If we are doing overrated, probably Damien Duff. I was nearly always disappointed with his performances for Ireland, bar a few notable exceptions. 

Wasn't aware of this.Ouch.

Rustybedsprings View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rustybedsprings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 4:41pm
Anthony Stokes, beyond question, chap has a reputation to live down to
George Zip View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Zip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Apparently his recoreds were lost in the Custom House fire in the War of Independence.  Thank fook.

Well it wasn't such a disaster of an operation then.
God bless the Dublin Brigade.
"Tell them to get out there and give it all they got and win just one for the Zipper. I don't know where I'll be then, Doc," he said, "but I won't smell too good, that's for sure."
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

It's just a saying I've often heard used by second generation lads, you'd want to have a very thin skin to be offended by that. I remember when he said it and I'm pretty sure he never said he wasn't Irish, it was more like a wasn't born in Ireland but have an Irish grandmother and am a good Catholic boy. Think he was still at Carlisle in league one and nowhere near the squad when he was asked about it.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

It's just a saying I've often heard used by second generation lads, you'd want to have a very thin skin to be offended by that. I remember when he said it and I'm pretty sure he never said he wasn't Irish, it was more like a wasn't born in Ireland but have an Irish grandmother and am a good Catholic boy. Think he was still at Carlisle in league one and nowhere near the squad when he was asked about it.
I have honestly never heard anyone say it. I certainly wasn't offended by it, just found incredibly ignorant. It probably was a tongue-in-cheek comment, but even still. It makes it hard to take hims seriously. He should still be our first choice though.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 5:44pm

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

I have honestly never heard anyone say it. I certainly wasn't offended by it, just found incredibly ignorant. It probably was a tongue-in-cheek comment, but even still. It makes it hard to take hims seriously. He should still be our first choice though.

It's a common saying if you're reared as an ex pat in England, sent to a Irish / Catholic school (the expressions were essentially interchangeable when he went to school) in a country where that instantly marks you out as different. Might seem ignorant to someone reared in Ireland where that would be the norm but that's missing the point entirely.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 5:50pm
I have just never, ever heard anybody say it before, even as a joke, in all my time around second and third generation lads. I still find it bizarre and, considering he is around the same age as myself and second generation friends I have, I am surprised I have never heard any of them say it if it is so common. Then again, they are all atheists!
I cringed when I heard at the time and can't imagine he is anything but an idiot since then. He is a fine goalkeeper though.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 5:56pm
Pretty sure it was just a poor attempt at humour by Westwood, a bit cringy but nothing to hold a grudge against him for...
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 5:56pm

I have just never, ever heard anybody say it before, even as a joke, in all my time around second and third generation lads. I still find it bizarre and, considering he is around the same age as myself and second generation friends I have, I am surprised I have never heard any of them say it if it is so common. Then again, they are all atheists!
I cringed when I heard at the time and can't imagine he is anything but an idiot since then. He is a fine goalkeeper though.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 6:10pm
 I don't get the relevance there, it is assuming one means the other is why the joke felt flat and where you thought some would take offence or, in my case at least, cringed. I mean there are, I am sure, hundreds of quotations like that from people who went to a Catholic school or have felt Catholic 'guilt'. You can get quotes on that from everyone from Madonna to Fidel Castro and just about everyone and anyone  with a Latin, Hispanic or Irish surname.That doesn't make it comparable to what Westwood said, in anyway at all.
As O'Shea has said, it is probably harsh to throw him in the category of this thread but it is something that always stuck in my mind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic