You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mortgages

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 24>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 11:18pm
Hah, they offered once I had the approval in principle from the bank.

Once you know how much the bank will give you & how much you'll have yourself, you can figure out your budget. You still need to allow a good few thousand on top - the total cost of valuation fees, legal fees, pro-rated management fees & pro-rated property tax (rates in your case) will add up to a few thousand, probably the best part of five or six, then you have the cost of furnishing on top.

And once you know the budget, you can go to the folks. Say the bank will give you £130k and you have as much as £30k, your budget is probably only £150k, given legal costs, furnishing costs & the need for a bit of headroom, especially if you buy a house and want to do any works at all. Also, remember mortgage rates will drop if you are below 80% LTV... that definitely helped me.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 17 Apr 2019 at 11:18pm
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 5:59am
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

SD what way did you brooch the subject with the folks to ask for a few coins off them?

You thinking about asking his parents as well?
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 8:28pm
LOL
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 4:14pm
the boom is back baby!!

currently in the middle of a self build mortgage process. justifying your spending to banking ****s is like trying to justify whether or not to have a wank while watching embarrassing bodies to a fat yoke with crabs  
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Guppy Guppy wrote:

Looking to buy a property as an investment in the UK. I’ll be a first time buyer, I have the deposit. I currently live in the property but the landlord will sell it. Looking to initially to put the mortgage interest only, then put it as a repayment mortgage down the line when I rent it out myself and move to something larger or buy another investment. Does anyone have any experience of getting a mortgage interest only? 
 Thank you!

A cousin did this a few years ago was a nightmare i remember them tell me. The Bank wanted close to 30% deposit. 
Jerryfromkerry View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerryfromkerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 12:41am
Ulster Bank 2.3% 2 year fixed is the best you can get. €1,500 legal fees too. Switch when you can get a lower rate.
No man has the right to fix the boundary to the march of a nation. No man has the right to say to his country “thus far shalt thou go and no further"
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 12:22pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 12:30pm
rates are higher here because overseas banks don't want to enter the mortgage market given it's very hard to reposes a house (and takes years) where as else where fall 3 payments behind and start packing. I think Avant Card could be linking rates to people credit rating here which will be interesting.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 12:59pm
Has anyone ever worked out what your house is actually costing over the course of the mortgage, initial purchase, solicitors, engineers then when you move in, insurance, average yearly home repairs. 

It would damage this forums' reputation
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Has anyone ever worked out what your house is actually costing over the course of the mortgage, initial purchase, solicitors, engineers then when you move in, insurance, average yearly home repairs. 

Nope ,but as a guess i would say double what you paid for the house .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 1:28pm

I would guess it costs double.
But despite what planning says, it’s works out cheaper than renting.

The landlords arent doing it for the good of their health.

Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 2:10pm
If Planning said the sky was blue I'd look out the window to check. 

I've heard the about double the cost but that's for the mortgage repayments - there are a lot of other expenditures that over time add up to a considerable amount, was wondering if anyone has ever taken the time to roughly work it all out.

It would damage this forums' reputation
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 2:29pm

If Planning said the sky was blue I'd look out the window to check. 

I've heard the about double the cost but that's for the mortgage repayments - there are a lot of other expenditures that over time add up to a considerable amount, was wondering if anyone has ever taken the time to roughly work it all out.

There is too many factors at play:
What initial deposit you put down
Your average interest rate over the time 
The condition of the house when you bought it
Who you married *
The value of your house at the end

To pay double on the mortgage you would have to be paying 5% interest over 20 years on Interest only.....
With the initial deposit and paying down capital amounts each month this is be much less...

* this is key, if you married somebody who wants a new kitchen / bathroom / stairs every 5 years you have messed up big time. 

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 2:41pm

Well ya have to live somewhere, so the question is if that is cheaper than the alternative.

And then you have to remember that houses appreciate in value over time, so by paying all that you have a huge asset at the end of it all.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Nope ,but as a guess i would say double what you paid for the house .

Not double. Average mortgage is probably close to €250k at this stage with a term of 35 years so you would end up paying back c. €404k based on 3%. Shorten the term to 20 years and that falls to €332k.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 3:11pm
Currently paying 2.9%

Thoughts Sausy?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Currently paying 2.9%

Thoughts Sausy?
paying 2.25% ‘Green’ rate fixed for 5 years on one and 2.75% on the other variable. I always chip a few extra quid off this one every month. 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Currently paying 2.9%

Thoughts Sausy?
paying 2.25% ‘Green’ rate fixed for 5 years on one and 2.75% on the other variable. I always chip a few extra quid off this one every month. 

When you say you chip a few quid extra off one every month, how do you organise this? Just a DD into that account?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 24>
  Share Topic