You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mortgages

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 24>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Near the Children's hospital in Crumlin, not too far from where I am at the minute. Two bed place so if I rent out a room I'll cover a decent part of the mortgage, which is a help.

And if you bring the royal doulton with hand painted periwinkles, I'll do the cooking.
I hear Crumlin is like South Central Los Angeles these days. 

At least that's what Conor McGregor says. 
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Il Principe Il Principe wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Yeah I'm the exact same. Am in variable because I want to chip away at it. Might have a few extra bib this year so the plan is take an extra 2k off of it. Especially when rates are low.

Similar to you Andy I want to be mortgage free by the time I'm 40. 10 years to pay a 16 year mortgage. Will be tough but going to give it a lash! 
Mark it will happen sooner or later , may as well enjoy your time what you have now instead putting everything on hold until you are 40 .
I never had a mortgage until I was 45 Big smile

terrible advice! 

if anyone can clear their mortgage by 40 go for it, don't let people who didn't start early drag you down mark, the less you owe the rotten banks the better, good luck with it

We could all pay down our mortgage if we didn’t go out, go on holidays, have some fun etc 
I think he means you have to live now. 

Absolutely over-pay your mortgage if you have spare cash. 

Congrats SD - 99% of the time it works out fine, it may be longer than you think but you are nearly there.

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Il Principe Il Principe wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Yeah I'm the exact same. Am in variable because I want to chip away at it. Might have a few extra bib this year so the plan is take an extra 2k off of it. Especially when rates are low.

Similar to you Andy I want to be mortgage free by the time I'm 40. 10 years to pay a 16 year mortgage. Will be tough but going to give it a lash! 
Mark it will happen sooner or later , may as well enjoy your time what you have now instead putting everything on hold until you are 40 .
I never had a mortgage until I was 45 Big smile

terrible advice! 

if anyone can clear their mortgage by 40 go for it, don't let people who didn't start early drag you down mark, the less you owe the rotten banks the better, good luck with it

We could all pay down our mortgage if we didn’t go out, go on holidays, have some fun etc 
I think he means you have to live now. 

Absolutely over-pay your mortgage if you have spare cash. 

Congrats SD - 99% of the time it works out fine, it may be longer than you think but you are nearly there.

Well said ZZ putting your life on hold to pay off your mortgage really , you only have one life use it well if you are a Hindu your next life could be better . 
SD enjoy the moment but like what has been said nothing is final until you have the keys in your hand . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 9:46am
Jaysis my goal was to have sex before I was 40 and Mayo mark’s is to clear his mortgage.  Get your priorities right mark :) 
AKA pedantic kunt
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Jaysis my goal was to have sex before I was 40 and Mayo mark’s is to clear his mortgage.  Get your priorities right mark :) 

Ah yeah but Mayo Mark’s goal is actually achievable
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 10:48am
this a good thing for distressed mortgages? 

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 5:21pm
Thinking of buying my first property in the Greater belfast area and I am completely new to the whole thing, and generally quite confused about mortgages

Any tips/ideas on the first steps on how to go about getting a mortgage, do I have the property in mind first that I want or see how much a mortgage I can afford? Which is best mortgage broker or bank?

How long should the whole process take? Think SD has gone through it lately

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Thinking of buying my first property in the Greater belfast area and I am completely new to the whole thing, and generally quite confused about mortgages

Any tips/ideas on the first steps on how to go about getting a mortgage, do I have the property in mind first that I want or see how much a mortgage I can afford? Which is best mortgage broker or bank?

Closing this week. I went sale agreed the week before Christmas.

There were a few delays along the way, partly caused by the vendor's solicitor, partly caused by the bank, partly caused by me waiting on a few quid from the folks.

The first thing I did was go to the bank and get approval in principle. I did that in October, then started looking. I had a look at the rates online before I went to the bank. Ulster Bank were among the best with their rates down here so I went with them.

I bid on, I think, three different places. I was outbid on the first and the vendor accepted a bid on the second I would have went above, but for the fact I couldn't commit to going higher at that stage as I was the highest bidder on the first. I got the third though, which is an apartment.

Once I had that done, I went to my solicitor, and we had to get a good few things from the vendor's solicitor, including things from the management company of the apartments.

If it is an apartment, it will take longer than a house. I know that I'd definitely have been able to close at least two weeks earlier if we weren't waiting for so long for things from the management company and for the bank to check them out and it would probably have been even quicker than that. The bank need to make sure that the block insurance covers them, whereas if you are buying a house, it's a bit more straightforward, as you just get that yourself and send it over to them.

Anyway, from bid accepted to keys in hand has taken me just under four months (counting me getting the keys this week).

Edited by SuperDave84 - 15 Apr 2019 at 5:49pm
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 7:52pm

There were a few delays along the way, partly caused by the vendor's solicitor, partly caused by the bank, partly caused by me waiting on a few quid from the folks.

The first thing I did was go to the bank and get approval in principle. I did that in October, then started looking. I had a look at the rates online before I went to the bank. Ulster Bank were among the best with their rates down here so I went with them.

I bid on, I think, three different places. I was outbid on the first and the vendor accepted a bid on the second I would have went above, but for the fact I couldn't commit to going higher at that stage as I was the highest bidder on the first. I got the third though, which is an apartment.

Once I had that done, I went to my solicitor, and we had to get a good few things from the vendor's solicitor, including things from the management company of the apartments.

If it is an apartment, it will take longer than a house. I know that I'd definitely have been able to close at least two weeks earlier if we weren't waiting for so long for things from the management company and for the bank to check them out and it would probably have been even quicker than that. The bank need to make sure that the block insurance covers them, whereas if you are buying a house, it's a bit more straightforward, as you just get that yourself and send it over to them.

Anyway, from bid accepted to keys in hand has taken me just under four months (counting me getting the keys this week).
Had you already been banking with Ulster Bank or did you just go to them when you seen that their rates were the best?

So it is best to go and look for an approval for x amount and when you then have been approved go out and look and see where you want to buy?
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:04pm
Approach as many banks as you can and seek pre-approval. Once you have offers on the table, start working with the most favourable ones (lowest interest rate, 2% cashback, legal fees paid) and provide them with all the documentation they will require I.e. 6 months of bank statements, proof of savings, proof of earnings/employment etc.

If you aren't telling little white lies on your application, once you have pre-approval you can comfortably start looking and bidding.

Provided you don't have outstanding loans (car, credit union) and you can show a good track record of paying rent and saving, you should be okay.
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:40pm
With regards to savings, I don't have the likes of a savings account or an ISA, just a couple of different current accounts along with a credit union account. Will the absence of such accounts count against me?
ShayGivensBum View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

The lighter coloured grass is painted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 9:05pm
I found a mortgage broker very good for our mortgage. Made it much more straight forward than when we did it ourselves the first time.
ShayGivensBum View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

The lighter coloured grass is painted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 9:06pm

With regards to savings, I don't have the likes of a savings account or an ISA, just a couple of different current accounts along with a credit union account. Will the absence of such accounts count against me?

Once you have an account that you were regularly transferring x amount into evey month, then you should be fine. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 10:55pm

I was banking with Ulster Bank. However, I'm self employed so I had to send them on my tax returns and revenue forms, so I basically had to give them the same as I'd have had to give to anyone else. I just went with them because they had a decent fixed rate deal and it was marginally handier to go with them seeing as I already banked with them.

I didn't have any savings accounts at all, just current accounts, but there was a building balance in them at least. If you have statements from the credit union, that might do the job.
mbyrne15 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbyrne15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 3:19pm
Mortgage Broker was also very helpful, did all the leg work so i have had no interaction with the bank so far.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 6:18pm

I got the third though, which is an apartment.

Godd luck with the move.

With Management fees to be factored in, with some charging up to €2000 per year, if you're there for 30 or so years it can add up to a lot additional costs.

What were your thoughts on your budget with this extra costs
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 9:12pm
Got my keys today. Hurray.

Hoskins: Didn't think of it that much, tbh. Sure if you own a house, you have a garden and drive that needs looking after. Admittedly it doesn't cost €2k a year but it is something that the management company look after, plus you have secure parking and waste included for that too. The converse is that you can't extend an apartment, of course.
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 10:42pm
SD what way did you brooch the subject with the folks to ask for a few coins off them?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 24>
  Share Topic