You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mortgages

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 24>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 12:39am
It's a tough one to decide whether to go fixed or variable. I switched to variable a couple of year ago at the end of my initial fix and dropped down quite a bit. 
I want to start knocking money off the loan moving forward, want to be mortgage free by 2030, but that might change if interest rates jump up. Glad I didn't decide to fix it now as looks like another 2 years of low interest at least. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 16 Dec 2018 at 12:40am
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 3:01am
Started knocking an extra €100pm off my main mortgage. Variable at the minute on 2.75%. Will keep it variable for the forseeable even if rates do rise a bit.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 9:07am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

It's a tough one to decide whether to go fixed or variable. I switched to variable a couple of year ago at the end of my initial fix and dropped down quite a bit. 
I want to start knocking money off the loan moving forward, want to be mortgage free by 2030, but that might change if interest rates jump up. Glad I didn't decide to fix it now as looks like another 2 years of low interest at least.
Just go with what you're happy to pay and leave it at that. Can't be forever second guessing your decisions.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 9:24am
Yeah I'm the exact same. Am in variable because I want to chip away at it. Might have a few extra bib this year so the plan is take an extra 2k off of it. Especially when rates are low.

Similar to you Andy I want to be mortgage free by the time I'm 40. 10 years to pay a 16 year mortgage. Will be tough but going to give it a lash! 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 9:58am
Mine is still a 30 year mortgage. We re-mortgaged this year, adding my wife to it. Between that and the positive equity, managed to get the additional funds to cover an extension with a high spec kitchen/dining area and front and back garden landscapes finish. I didn't even need to bring cash to the table, they covered it! Still in development actually but finances to cover it are secured. 
Even with the top up, our mortgage is still pittance compared to what people are paying for rent. Got so so lucky. A lot of my friends got stung with high mortgages as they bought in the boom, i didnt cause i was pissing everything away each month, when i was finally mature enough to ssttle down, house prices had sank.

With most of life's major events out of the way, want to chip away at it next year.

What will help next year is I got headhunted by another department in my organization and starting a fancy new job in two weeks on a lot more money.  
Really feel like I am a lucky sh*t.

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Yeah I'm the exact same. Am in variable because I want to chip away at it. Might have a few extra bib this year so the plan is take an extra 2k off of it. Especially when rates are low.

Similar to you Andy I want to be mortgage free by the time I'm 40. 10 years to pay a 16 year mortgage. Will be tough but going to give it a lash! 
Mark it will happen sooner or later , may as well enjoy your time what you have now instead putting everything on hold until you are 40 .
I never had a mortgage until I was 45 Big smile
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 1:54pm
Just went sale agreed. Hurray. About three months from here, right? Middle / end of March?
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 1:56pm
What area Dave?

Congrats. When is the candlelight supper dinner porty?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 2:02pm
Near the Children's hospital in Crumlin, not too far from where I am at the minute. Two bed place so if I rent out a room I'll cover a decent part of the mortgage, which is a help.

And if you bring the royal doulton with hand painted periwinkles, I'll do the cooking.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 21 Dec 2018 at 2:05pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Near the Children's hospital in Crumlin, not too far from where I am at the minute. Two bed place so if I rent out a room I'll cover a decent part of the mortgage, which is a help.

And if you bring the royal doulton with hand painted periwinkles, I'll do the cooking.
That was an awful show! 

So, you will have a nice, innocent  paediatric nurse moving in? I am sure I saw a film based on that.

Well done on finding a home though.Clap
Fitzinho View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitzinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 2:12pm

Just went sale agreed. Hurray. About three months from here, right? Middle / end of March?

Don't count your chickens. While it was 3 months for myself. A colleague sitting near me here in work is presently in month 10 of waiting after going sale agreed!

Congratulations but remember that many things can go right and wrong from here. Only when you have the keys in your hand can you relax
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

That was an awful show! 

So, you will have a nice, innocent  paediatric nurse moving in? I am sure I saw a film based on that.

Well done on finding a home though.Clap

1) It was indeed a terrible show.

2) That is among the plans. If it ends up like the film you saw, all the better.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 21 Dec 2018 at 2:21pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 2:25pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Fitzinho Fitzinho wrote:

Don't count your chickens. While it was 3 months for myself. A colleague sitting near me here in work is presently in month 10 of waiting after going sale agreed!

Congratulations but remember that many things can go right and wrong from here. Only when you have the keys in your hand can you relax

Jaysus. I've heard some terrible stories of things with estate sales, fighting siblings, divorce sales, repossessions, probate delays, and dodgy extensions. None of the usual sort of things should slow this down but you never know.

I'm buying off a landlord who lives in Australia so that might slow things down but hopefully not.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 2:37pm

Congratulations man. You're now an adult.

Timeline really depends on the situation of who you bought it from, if they're free to move out quickly, you'll be in quickly, if they need to now find and go sale agreed on their own place you could be another 6 months.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 2:48pm
Congrats Dave, but as said, don't hold your breath. Nothing is certain at all. We closed a sale that took 8 months and there was f**k all wrong bar a small map amendment. You can and will get solicitors who will drag their heels for no good reason and there could be a number of other factors. You've only really got passed the first hurdle! But it's a big one. Best of luck
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Congratulations man. You're now an adult.

Timeline really depends on the situation of who you bought it from, if they're free to move out quickly, you'll be in quickly, if they need to now find and go sale agreed on their own place you could be another 6 months.

An investor who lives in Oz and wants to buy their own place there, so they should want to move quick enough. I know the solicitor on my end and it's an apartment, so I'm happy enough there shouldn't be too many title issues.

Anyway, if there are delays, I'll live with them, even if it means renting somewhere for a month or two.
Il Principe View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Mark it will happen sooner or later , may as well enjoy your time what you have now instead putting everything on hold until you are 40 .
I never had a mortgage until I was 45 Big smile

terrible advice! 

if anyone can clear their mortgage by 40 go for it, don't let people who didn't start early drag you down mark, the less you owe the rotten banks the better, good luck with it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 24>
  Share Topic