You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mortgages

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 24>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

how many years into your mortgage before u can switch?

Any time, but break fee is lower the longer you go on. 

Best time to fix was a week or two ago, second best time is probably now. 

We tried to scramble and fix with Avant yesterday before rates went up, but couldn't get it done in time. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 6:46pm
Fixing for 3 years I think with current provider.  Was thinking 5 years but likely to making adjustments in 3 years so safer to go with 3.  Although I can’t see rates been as low as they have even for a long long time.  

Saying that Lane doesn’t believe that the reason for inflation are an overheating of the economy and are caused by exernal influence to the European economy such as COVID and the invasion of Ukraine. 

AKA pedantic kunt
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 10:17pm
Yeah I upped payments and fixed for 5 but was considering 3. But feck it I'm happy enough now and when the 5 years passes the mortgage will be very small so interest rates are a little less important at that stage 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Yeah I upped payments and fixed for 5 but was considering 3. But feck it I'm happy enough now and when the 5 years passes the mortgage will be very small so interest rates are a little less important at that stage 

Would have went 5 myself only for personal circumstances 
AKA pedantic kunt
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 10:41pm
Anyone know the quickest way to retrieve/ get your BER rating?

Sent a message to Seai but got nothing from them. 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 10:54pm
Local assessor. Don't need to go to seai 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 9:26am

Got sorted. Was B3 so was able to get the green mortgage. 

Peace of mind now that it's fixed plus 100 quid less a month than I was paying. 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 9:31am
Great timing too  
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 9:58am

Great timing too  

Yeah true. I had sent the mail 2 weeks ago and was waiting to hear back. Was actually planning to ring them today to follow up, was worrying if i was being put on long finger because rates were going up. But letter arrived today with the updated terms Smile

Edited by t_rAndy - 16 Jun 2022 at 9:58am
Fitzinho View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitzinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 10:17am
I  had fixed for a year in early 2021 @2.9% but got the 2% cashback. End of 2021 I moved my mortgage to a different bank, got another 2%. 

Just phoned that bank to check on breakage fee's, they have none due to the present likelihood of rates increasing, so 6 months after joining them and taking the 2% I've started the process of rejoining bank 1 and claiming another 2% cash back.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Fitzinho Fitzinho wrote:

I  had fixed for a year in early 2021 @2.9% but got the 2% cashback. End of 2021 I moved my mortgage to a different bank, got another 2%. 

Just phoned that bank to check on breakage fee's, they have none due to the present likelihood of rates increasing, so 6 months after joining them and taking the 2% I've started the process of rejoining bank 1 and claiming another 2% cash back.

Does the Bank have and reclaim clause on the 2% if you move within a certain period?
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 10:57am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

We did something similar and locked ours in for 5 years but kept payments at the same level and have shortened the mortgage by 4 years 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

We did something similar and locked ours in for 5 years but kept payments at the same level and have shortened the mortgage by 4 years 

They never actually asked me about that. I wasn't sure what way it would work would it be reduced payment or same but reduced years. Would probably have preferred to do it your way. Our current plan would be let's see what it's like in 5 years and see if there is a way to start clearing it off earlier

Edited by t_rAndy - 16 Jun 2022 at 12:38pm
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 6:15pm

They never actually asked me about that. I wasn't sure what way it would work would it be reduced payment or same but reduced years. Would probably have preferred to do it your way. Our current plan would be let's see what it's like in 5 years and see if there is a way to start clearing it off earlier
If it’s with AIB, it’s a separate process but can be done at the same time or before or after. Go on their website you’ll find what you need 
Fitzinho View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitzinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2022 at 10:25am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Does the Bank have and reclaim clause on the 2% if you move within a certain period?

Not on the cashback no, none of them do it seems. I'll triple check the contract but I can't see anything which suggests so at the moment and there are articles on switching online which suggests the banks don't do it.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2022 at 12:17pm

Not on the cashback no, none of them do it seems. I'll triple check the contract but I can't see anything which suggests so at the moment and there are articles on switching online which suggests the banks don't do it.
Yeah nobody can claim it back, although it might be harder to swith back to them if you need it in the future
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2022 at 10:10pm

Have just done exactly this, though with a small uplift in monthly payments.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 12:40pm

Inset stove and windows/doors will make a huge difference. Maybe do some more research on the spray foam. I've been advised to stay away, and that 300mm of fiberglass is advisable, and way more cost effective. New boiler as well will be far more efficient than what you have so that should bring it up as well.

Will have to look into this myself now. Have got new windows and doors as well as a new boiler (grant got for zoning the house) and there was additional internal insulation done (bar the hall/gable end) by the last owners. I think it was a C3 after the last work so hopefully putting a stove in to block up the chimney and maybe getting spray foam in the attic might qualify us for those rate.

"Some experts warn that spray foam home insulation could lead to some properties being virtually unsellable"

while the clip below relates to NI its something to be aware of. note the issue only applies to cold roofs.

Edited by colemanY2K - 01 Aug 2022 at 12:54pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 24>
  Share Topic