You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mortgages

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mortgages
    Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 4:41pm
So after my self-imposed exile from the internet after the decision that shall not be spoken about, I was hoping some of the YBIG smarts on here might be able to give some of their advice and life experience on mortgages.

Now, we've just bought a house, moved in a month ago. I never, ever intend to do it ever again.

Anyways, we have a mortgage of €135k, variable rate, over 20 years. Nice tidy mortgage.

BUT, I'd love to be able to pay it off early, bit by bit. With variable mortgages, there are no early payment penalties. Our first payment was made mid last month. It was c. €780, €400 of which was interest (way more than I was expecting to be honest). So that's €380 off the capital.

If I went into the bank tomorrow and handed over €1200 and said to take it off my capital, does that equate to 3 months off the lifetime of the mortgage? Or am I missing a detail somewhere?
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

So after my self-imposed exile from the internet after the decision that shall not be spoken about, I was hoping some of the YBIG smarts on here might be able to give some of their advice and life experience on mortgages.

Now, we've just bought a house, moved in a month ago. I never, ever intend to do it ever again.

Anyways, we have a mortgage of €135k, variable rate, over 20 years. Nice tidy mortgage.

BUT, I'd love to be able to pay it off early, bit by bit. With variable mortgages, there are no early payment penalties. Our first payment was made mid last month. It was c. €780, €400 of which was interest (way more than I was expecting to be honest). So that's €380 off the capital.

If I went into the bank tomorrow and handed over €1200 and said to take it off my capital, does that equate to 3 months off the lifetime of the mortgage? Or am I missing a detail somewhere?
you can chose one or other. Shorten the term , which will lower your cost of credit more or reduce your payments over the same term
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 7:40pm
http://digital.ulsterbank.ie/personal/mortgages/secure/mortgage-overpayment-tool.html

Not sure which bank you're with but that might give you an idea. My interest is applied every quarter and it equates to almost 2 monthly payments in that quarter. 

Now neer mind that, what are you waffling about in the first line?
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 8:17pm

Check with the bank. With my mortgage, first time I did that, the next repayment was reduced, basically they told me they'd taken the amount off the capital, and reduced the repayments to keep the term yourself. Obviously that's not what most people want, it benefits the bank. You need to tell them (in email/writing), something like "I have paid off €1200 off my mortgage, please readjust my term accordingly". I have a standard doc in my documents, just send it off every time I repay it.

And yes, first time out it's a lot more interest than I'd have liked. In AIB, they deduct 3 months payment then add on the interest at the end of each quarter. First 3 months, I paid €1000, then €1000, then another €1000, and they added on about €2,500 back onto it LOL
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

http://digital.ulsterbank.ie/personal/mortgages/secure/mortgage-overpayment-tool.html

Not sure which bank you're with but that might give you an idea. My interest is applied every quarter and it equates to almost 2 monthly payments in that quarter. 

Now neer mind that, what are you waffling about in the first line?
Exactly,never mind small things like mortgages,get to the proper stuff...???
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 9:21pm

Hennelly over Clarke? LOL
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
Joe Stalin View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 9:22pm
You'd be better off upping your monthly payment if you can - this is the best way to shorten the lifetime of the mortgage and save on the interest. Can you use the €1,200 to up it by €100 a month and afford the €100 when it's gone? Handing over the lump sum wouldn't have the same benefit.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Bo Jackson Bo Jackson wrote:

Hennelly over Clarke? LOL

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 9:55pm

So after my self-imposed exile from the internet after the decision that shall not be spoken about,

Mortgages who cares!!!

Please explain this bizzare opening line. If not I'll make up numerous scenarios as to what it could be
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by Joe Stalin Joe Stalin wrote:

You'd be better off upping your monthly payment if you can - this is the best way to shorten the lifetime of the mortgage and save on the interest. Can you use the €1,200 to up it by €100 a month and afford the €100 when it's gone? Handing over the lump sum wouldn't have the same benefit.
it would have more of a benefit as each monthly payment would have less interest if the capital is lower sooner
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 10:17pm
The thing to remember is that paying your current monthly payment (whatever it is) in 20 years will be much easier then than it is now, thanks to inflation. Paying off your mortgage three years early may sound very positive but the impact of the extra cash then may not be as beneficial as it is now, thanks to the decrease in the value of money in the interim.

Just something worth considering, much and all as you should probably pay off your mortgage as fast as you can comfortably afford.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 10:50pm
Thanks for the advice lads. Much appreciated and I'll take it all on board

Bo got it in one   
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 9:00am
There was a program on RTE last night called 'the great Irish sell off'. Basically how when the banks needed help they sold off loads of mortgages to vulture funds. Had heard the term vulture fund before but didn't really know what it was before it was explained last night.
So thousands of people are paying back their mortgages to these companies and if they are late with a payment it seems like they can be just kicked out of their house. Seem a lot more heartless then the banks. Anyone here have to pay these c*** back as their mortgage.
It seems like a scary thought hanging over you all the time.  
The dark side.. And the light
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 9:18am
No worse than the banks are doing to be fair. If ya fall behind on the banks you'll get threatening letters too.

Saw the show, was interesting to see how they worked, but it was very one-sided. The poor lad from Charleville put his house up as collateral in 2009. Every dog in the street knows there's a good chance the loan will default and the house be lost. Sounded a horrible story though.

One thing the didn't point out is that these "vulture funds" are the ones that people's pensions are made up of (my company pension is in Blackstone I think it's called), so every person with a pension is a member of a "vulture fund".

It mentioned that if the mortgage is worth €300k, and the vulture fund buys it for €150k, then surely it makes more sense for the home owner to buy it for €180k. That to me, would just lead to everyone stopping paying their mortgage, and buying it back cheaper.

There's no excuse for these vulture funds to still be paying no tax.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

No worse than the banks are doing to be fair. If ya fall behind on the banks you'll get threatening letters too.

Saw the show, was interesting to see how they worked, but it was very one-sided. The poor lad from Charleville put his house up as collateral in 2009. Every dog in the street knows there's a good chance the loan will default and the house be lost. Sounded a horrible story though.

One thing the didn't point out is that these "vulture funds" are the ones that people's pensions are made up of (my company pension is in Blackstone I think it's called), so every person with a pension is a member of a "vulture fund".

It mentioned that if the mortgage is worth €300k, and the vulture fund buys it for €150k, then surely it makes more sense for the home owner to buy it for €180k. That to me, would just lead to everyone stopping paying their mortgage, and buying it back cheaper.

There's no excuse for these vulture funds to still be paying no tax.
they also have to appoint a servicing firm who are regulated and homeowners have all the protections of legislation
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 1:17am
Anyone here ever do a switch? Is it possible to find a good rate for a switcher and then just haggle with your own bank to see if they can do any better?

Also, our Loan to Value is due to go below 80% by the end of the year I hope  And that's based on what we paid for the house. The value of it would have risen a few % since we bought so we could be below 80% already. Would this give us any bargaining room? 

Edited by MayoMark - 14 Jul 2018 at 1:40am
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 11:18am

Anyone here ever do a switch? Is it possible to find a good rate for a switcher and then just haggle with your own bank to see if they can do any better?

Also, our Loan to Value is due to go below 80% by the end of the year I hope  And that's based on what we paid for the house. The value of it would have risen a few % since we bought so we could be below 80% already. Would this give us any bargaining room? 
In the middle of it at the moment. A lot less stressful as you're not rushing to secure a house or move in. 

We were in a similar boat to yourself, bought at about 82% LTV, would now be about 76% on our original value but the bank (AIB) wasn't going to move us to the lower than 80% rate. So moving to BOI, 5 years fixed there, gets 3% back over the years too, knocks about 2 years off the end of the mortgage, and the cashback offer will easily cover the fees.
Fitzinho View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitzinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 10:27am
Has anyone switched mortgages just to get the cashback?
A friend said her brother has switched twice and got back 8k twice in cashback offers.
I would have thought there would be something in place to prevent that or are we all just to lazy / didn't think of it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
  Share Topic