You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mipo Odubeko

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 32>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Obviously, Nigeria focuses on players with Nigerian lineage - and there are a lot. They have a very sophisticated camp structure for recruiting players and integrating them. I’m not sure how successful it has been overall, but the intent is there. And the fans are all over tracking the diaspora.

Their disadvantage is that their international calendar conflicts with the domestic calendar for players based in Europe. I guess that’s not appealing for young players who are starting their careers.

Any Irish born lad with Nigerian parents have opted to play for us. You really can’t knock them. 

I’d be far more understanding of them opting to play for Nigeria as they would be raised to have real loyalty to their own roots then I would the likes of Will Keane Dan Crowley Declan Rice etc who played for us dumped us and in the former 2s cases came running back when they realised they weren’t playing for England. That’s charlatan behaviour.
Sponsored Links

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 4:02pm
yeah, not knocking anyone. Glad to see Idah, Afolabi, et al in green
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 4:12pm
No no fair enough and I meant Rice Keane Crowley etc as charlatan behaviour not you 😂

I think a lot of us are paranoid over the Rice/Grealish situation but you can’t use that as a stick to beat other lads with. 

Obafemi suffered from that with Martin O’Neill making such a big deal of it Obafemi and his agent had to come out with statements declaring they were desperate to play for Ireland. 

There’s an element of that with Smallbone too despite him saying specifically his target was to break through further for Southampton and hopefully with that following Shane and Micheál into the international team. What more can you ask of him. 

Edited by kevin100 - 24 Jan 2021 at 4:15pm
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Obviously, Nigeria focuses on players with Nigerian lineage - and there are a lot. They have a very sophisticated camp structure for recruiting players and integrating them. I’m not sure how successful it has been overall, but the intent is there. And the fans are all over tracking the diaspora.

Their disadvantage is that their international calendar conflicts with the domestic calendar for players based in Europe. I guess that’s not appealing for young players who are starting their careers.

Any Irish born lad with Nigerian parents have opted to play for us. You really can’t knock them. 

I’d be far more understanding of them opting to play for Nigeria as they would be raised to have real loyalty to their own roots then I would the likes of Will Keane Dan Crowley Declan Rice etc who played for us dumped us and in the former 2s cases came running back when they realised they weren’t playing for England. That’s charlatan behaviour.

How many have actually switched back to African countries from this part of the world? can only think of Zaha and Victor Moses and they were already pretty well established at club level at the time ........think it could be seen as a hinderance to the development of a young player making his way switching with the travel involved ......there's certainly never been a plethora of young black English born players going that way......has there been any Irish born as of yet
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 8:04pm
A significant chunk of their senior squad was born in Netherlands, Germany or the UK. Alex Iwobi is probably the highest profile switch. Lookman at Fulham switching too, it seems.

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 9:02pm
I think Ogbene, Afolabi and Kioso have all at least spoken about representing the African countries they qualify for at some point or another. Roberto Lopez and Eamon Zayed have actually gone and done it, but in both cases they would never have been capped by Ireland.

I suspect a few of the lads of African background might like to do it, but the practicalities of it make it difficult in terms of travel, match timings and so on. Also, while we knock the FAI, I'd say some of the African associations probably make our lads look like Liverpool or  Man City in terms of organisational structure and professionalism in comparison.

The reality is that while becoming English increases a player's value and potential income, becoming an international for an African nation probably has the opposite effect.

The main issue with Irish born players with two overseas born parents is always the risk that they will move abroad without becoming as attached to their country of birth as players with one or more Irish born parents might. We have already seen this with Dennis Cirkin, who appears to have no interest at all in representing us, it will be England or, maybe more likely, Latvia for him.
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I think Ogbene, Afolabi and Kioso have all at least spoken about representing the African countries they qualify for at some point or another. Roberto Lopez and Eamon Zayed have actually gone and done it, but in both cases they would never have been capped by Ireland.

I suspect a few of the lads of African background might like to do it, but the practicalities of it make it difficult in terms of travel, match timings and so on. Also, while we knock the FAI, I'd say some of the African associations probably make our lads look like Liverpool or  Man City in terms of organisational structure and professionalism in comparison.

The reality is that while becoming English increases a player's value and potential income, becoming an international for an African nation probably has the opposite effect.

The main issue with Irish born players with two overseas born parents is always the risk that they will move abroad without becoming as attached to their country of birth as players with one or more Irish born parents might. We have already seen this with Dennis Cirkin, who appears to have no interest at all in representing us, it will be England or, maybe more likely, Latvia for him.

Afolabi has stated his mother wants him to play for them but that he himself is committed to us
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

Afolabi has stated his mother wants him to play for them but that he himself is committed to us

And one could be forgiven for wondering how baseless speculation perpetuates in these circumstances. Afolabi couldn't have been clearer in his words: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the42.ie/jonathan-afolabi-interview-4698504-Jun2019/%3famp=1
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 9:40pm

With due respect to the three lads, I think it is ambitious of any of them to be talking about International football.  And I am not suggesting they are but likely being asked by journalists or whomever so need to produce some sort of answer, that then goes on to be over-analysed by fans.

All have shown glimpses of quality at various stages but none are doing much to suggest they would be selected for an International team like Ireland or, less so, a Nigeria.

I'd be delighted if all three turned out to be excellent pros, moved up the leagues and went on to represent us in any meaningful way, but I'd be surprised if any were to.  As surprised as if the likes of Curtis, Harness, Sykes, Sadlier and even Cassidy etc. were to do the same.  I mean players in that 'League 1' quality bracket, for want of a better description.

I'm as excited (more so!) as the next lad for the future with what seems to be a conveyor belt of talent coming through the ages but as we have seen on so many occasions, most won't make the grade as a regular senior Irish Internationals as that grade is simply exceptionally hard to achieve.

Back to Mipu, now this lad is knocking on the door of a decent PL team having had a good time at a top academy, so we're looking at a different creature here.
Am very excited about his prospects.

Edited by Fozz - 24 Jan 2021 at 9:41pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

With due respect to the three lads, I think it is ambitious of any of them to be talking about International football.  And I am not suggesting they are but likely being asked by journalists or whomever so need to produce some sort of answer, that then goes on to be over-analysed by fans.

All have shown glimpses of quality at various stages but none are doing much to suggest they would be selected for an International team like Ireland or, less so, a Nigeria.

I'd be delighted if all three turned out to be excellent pros, moved up the leagues and went on to represent us in any meaningful way, but I'd be surprised if any were to.  As surprised as if the likes of Curtis, Harness, Sykes, Sadlier and even Cassidy etc. were to do the same.  I mean players in that 'League 1' quality bracket, for want of a better description.

I'm as excited (more so!) as the next lad for the future with what seems to be a conveyor belt of talent coming through the ages but as we have seen on so many occasions, most won't make the grade as a regular senior Irish Internationals as that grade is simply exceptionally hard to achieve.

Back to Mipu, now this lad is knocking on the door of a decent PL team having had a good time at a top academy, so we're looking at a different creature here.
Am very excited about his prospects.

At the moment he’s potentially a different creature yes. Randolph, Stevens Egan Doherty Hourihane all examples of players who cut their teeth in League 1 Scottish League, League 2 as youngsters. Having a nice volume of young lads 21 and under down those divisions is a positive and you’d be optimistic some of them will crack on up through them. 

As for Odubeko if he can get his senior PL debut before the end of the seasons thats 5 Irish teenage attackers that have gotten top flight minutes in the space of 2 years. That is hugely encouraging even if the other 4 it hasn’t gone completely to plan since.

Edited by kevin100 - 24 Jan 2021 at 10:01pm
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

At the moment he’s potentially a different creature yes. Randolph, Stevens Egan Doherty Hourihane all examples of players who cut their teeth in League 1 Scottish League, League 2 as youngsters. Having a nice volume of young lads 21 and under down those divisions is a positive and you’d be optimistic some of them will crack on up through them. 

For sure, and I'm not knocking any of these guys.
And every chance of late-bloomers but we're all looking for quick-developers!
BaileNuisBhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaileNuisBhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 1:36am
Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

I don't think international football is something Afolabi needs to worry about

Edited by BaileNuisBhoy - 25 Jan 2021 at 1:37am
Deco79 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deco79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 10:46am
Look at the club this lad is at! If they could convince Rice who played from underage to seniors for us to switch to England then I'm pretty sure they'll try it here too. If the U21's are playing in March expect to hear "carrying a knock/injury" or "concentrating on making the first team/season" if he's unsure of who he wants to represent. If he was to choose Nigeria then fair enough because his folks and heritage are Nigerian and he'd be pretty proud of that I'm guessing
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Deco79 Deco79 wrote:

Look at the club this lad is at! If they could convince Rice who played from underage to seniors for us to switch to England then I'm pretty sure they'll try it here too. If the U21's are playing in March expect to hear "carrying a knock/injury" or "concentrating on making the first team/season" if he's unsure of who he wants to represent. If he was to choose Nigeria then fair enough because his folks and heritage are Nigerian and he'd be pretty proud of that I'm guessing

Where to start...
Rice was a Granny-ruler so had weak connections to Ireland at best.
It was the good work of the FAI that had him in our setup.
When he bloomed it was then the FA came knocking.  As an English lad, it was an understandable choice he made.

Mipu is an Irish lad born and raised here.
He has Nigerian parents.  And he has yet to get anywhere near blooming - Rice was a PL regular when his switch was made.  Mipu is an U23 player with a couple of minutes of senior football to his name.

To suggest he will pull out of a potential March U21's squad is spiteful and unwarranted.

Now if he does indeed do that, that's fine and we should draw a line under him until he were to come to us, and not go chasing to the ends of the earth.  There is zero to suggest that would be the case so ease off the hyperbolic speculation.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 11:06am
Rice has a lot of family in Cork.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 11:53am
His name is Ademipo, or Mipo, not Mipu.
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

His name is Ademipo, or Mipo, not Mipu.

You are indeed correct.
I just didn't look it up and was a bit early to make a stab at Odubeko!
Cheers for correcting.

TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Rice has a lot of family in Cork.

Yes and spent many childhood summers here. Said as much himself in interview in Fota with FAI at times of first call up. His family's pride re Irish lineage was genuine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 32>
  Share Topic