You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mipo Odubeko

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 32>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

He's probably swim back twice as quick if England came calling!

What are guy basing that on? 

My humorous mood.

Doesn't really matter what his underage coach a half-decade ago thinks, unfortunately. If you asked me am I confident about pulling tonight, I'd respond with an emphatic yes despite going home alone 99 times out of a 100.

We'll find out in a few months where his head is at, but all the signs are pointing towards another Okoflex situation.
Sponsored Links

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

My humorous mood.

Doesn't really matter what his underage coach a half-decade ago thinks, unfortunately. If you asked me am I confident about pulling tonight, I'd respond with an emphatic yes despite going home alone 99 times out of a 100.

We'll find out in a few months where his head is at, but all the signs are pointing towards another Okoflex situation.

Those are very poor riding stats . If you’re heading out once a week on average, that equates to getting your hole every second year. Pull your socks up son.
El Puto Amo
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 7:57pm

My humorous mood.

What signs?

Do you believe this in every case regarding black Irish men?  
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

My humorous mood.

What signs?

I said the same thing about Grealish and Rice and I'd say the same thing about Hodge and Okoflex. It has nothing to do with race and it's really crass and tacky when people bring that up in an effort to shut down conversation about dual-eligible footballers. Maybe you're obsessed with people's skin colour but I'm not. Personally I'd argue that for a nation that loves to claim every person with a drop of Irish blood as Irish, we have this weird thing about ignoring the African lineage of lads like Ogbene, Okoflex and Odubeko, as if the possibility of them not feeling 100% Irish is completely out of the question simply because they were born or spent 10 or 11 years of their life here - ignoring the fact some of them [Odubeko] have spent their formative teenage years in England. God knows if we had an English-born player move to Carlow when he was 12, lads would be jumping on the possibility of him playing for us.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 23 Jan 2021 at 8:12pm
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

The rules have changed since the Johansson thing. Also Odubeko has never played competitively for us.

Basically he could play for England once he has been there for five years - possibly he has been there that long already. 

We just need to call him up to the next under 21 squad, show that we're keen to keep him and hope for the best.

Imagine hearing a Tallaght accent wearing the three Lions......the ultimate slap in the face
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 10:46pm
Well, we've had a full blown cockney gor-blimey like Andy Townsend captaining the men in green. But his granny was Beatrice Brown from Kerry, so that's all right then.
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 11:15pm
Well we've never had anyone solely because they lived here a few years.....apart from Bundi Aki............those rugger boys are all West Brits anyway
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 11:37pm
Is he not irish? Does nationality mean nothing to people these days?
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Is he not irish? Does nationality mean nothing to people these days?

And how do you apply that rule to the English born lads who have worn green  ?   Out of interest 

He's Irish born, of Nigerian parents who possibly has an England option through having grown up there plenty too. He's whatever he says he is. His life and parentage have given him career options and that's that. Whether we like it or not. Hopefully he goes green.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 12:38am
Doesn't seem to be any reason to think he won’t accept a call up. Happy to just tune this one out until something happens
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Englishborn View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Britishborn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Englishborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 12:58am
don't worry Nigeria will be in for him like they are in for every non Nigerian born player
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 1:01am
Originally posted by Englishborn Englishborn wrote:

don't worry Nigeria will be in for him like they are in for every non Nigerian born player

Harry Kane turn them down?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 9:20am

And why wouldn't they?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 9:26am

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

My humorous mood.

What signs?

I said the same thing about Grealish and Rice and I'd say the same thing about Hodge and Okoflex. It has nothing to do with race and it's really crass and tacky when people bring that up in an effort to shut down conversation about dual-eligible footballers. Maybe you're obsessed with people's skin colour but I'm not. Personally I'd argue that for a nation that loves to claim every person with a drop of Irish blood as Irish, we have this weird thing about ignoring the African lineage of lads like Ogbene, Okoflex and Odubeko, as if the possibility of them not feeling 100% Irish is completely out of the question simply because they were born or spent 10 or 11 years of their life here - ignoring the fact some of them [Odubeko] have spent their formative teenage years in England. God knows if we had an English-born player move to Carlow when he was 12, lads would be jumping on the possibility of him playing for us.

Rice - English born
Hodge - English born 
Grealish - English born

Odubeko - born and raised in Dublin, hardly the same, albeit I do agree on your point about the contradiction about us claiming second generation lads and ignoring it for these lads. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 11:13am

And why wouldn't they?

The vast majority won't be eligible for them.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

And why wouldn't they?

Why not?

In this case, his parents are from Nigeria.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 1:24pm
Obviously, Nigeria focuses on players with Nigerian lineage - and there are a lot. They have a very sophisticated camp structure for recruiting players and integrating them. I’m not sure how successful it has been overall, but the intent is there. And the fans are all over tracking the diaspora.

Their disadvantage is that their international calendar conflicts with the domestic calendar for players based in Europe. I guess that’s not appealing for young players who are starting their careers.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 2:02pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

And why wouldn't they?

Why not?

In this case, his parents are from Nigeria.

Because the vast majority of "non Nigerian born player" won't be eligible for Nigeria. Basic demographics.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 32>
  Share Topic