You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 62>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 9:29am
Good interview with Mick in the Paddy Power EPL preview which can be obtained in their bookies.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Sponsored Links

AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 7:04pm
Ronan Curtis, Marcus Harness and Danny Crowley all start tonight in the League Cup 1st Round tie between Portsmouth and Birmingham City. Mick McCarthy is in attendance. Live on Sky Sports.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 6:40pm
https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/ireland-manager-in-attendance-as-mccarthy-plays-for-palace

Latest scouting report ahead of the squad announcement on Friday.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Paul Andrew White View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Andrew White Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 9:17pm
James McCarthy is a must 
Paul Andrew White View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Andrew White Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 11:14am
Whats the squad like tomorrow afternoon?? Any leaks?
Terzino View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 5:59pm
So far so good. He's stopped the rot that was really beginning to set in by the end of the O'Neill era.

McCarthy's Record

.........P....W....D....L....F....A

O'Neill's last games as manager

.........P....W....D....L....F....A

Left foot View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 6:48pm
We really did get 2 toxic managers in o'Neill and Trap.

I'm not suggesting the players would have been better quality than the ones under both these jokers but the players we had would have played better football.

I think mick proves that to be true 
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I'm not suggesting the players would have been better quality than the ones under both these jokers but the players we had would have played better football.

You are calling Trapatoni a joker in comparison to Mick McCarthy LOL F*ckin hell. You win the internet
Left foot View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

You are calling Trapatoni a joker in comparison to Mick McCarthy LOL F*ckin hell. You win the internet

Trappatoni was absolutely hopeless 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 7:35pm

Sleepy

That was soft rock cocaine enthusiasts Fleetwood Mac
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 7:57pm

The fallacy about trapattoni at Ireland is that there's a tendency to analyse him as the legendary 1980s manager trapattoni rather than what we got. Damien Duff was a phenomenal player, when he turned up at rovers his legs were gone and stunk the place out.  You don't analyse what someone did before he showed up for you, you analyse what you've got in front of you. Trap did a job for us, but him and his tactics had gone out of style and indeed usefulness against top sides several cycles beforehand. He also didn't pay much attention to the players he was actually managing. 

None of this is to bash on trap and he certainly isn't a joker, just that while he will obviously be the most successful manager ever to manage us, that's not what we got. We rightly gave MON grief for trying to apply the methods of Clough to the modern game, trap tried to apply the methods of 1980s trap to our game. Both had some degree of success and then became hopelessly outdated, and to eulogise trap as a legend doesn't have much bearing on what happened with us - even with the good job that he did.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 11 Sep 2019 at 7:58pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:05pm

He steadied the ship but then just like Martin O'Neill completely overstayed his welcome.
"It has been one of the worst years in living memory of Irish football, it has been that bad and a lot of it is down to Martin. The morale is rock bottom." - Keith Andrews, 16/10/2018
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:54pm

One of the most decorated managers in the history of the game.

doherty View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

And a blinding good chap at that. Also he brought Manuela into our lives...LOL
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 9:16pm
Trap- Football God or dinosaur, MON- Football God or dinosaur, yep, go ahead and have those arguments if ye want to. But suggesting Mick is somehow radically different from them might be the maddest stretch of all. 

To put it very simply, if there is some simple sliding scale of managers from 1-10, with the likes of Bielsa, Pep, Klopp up there at 1 as innovators/thinkers/coaches, and Trap/MON off down at 10 for being a defensive minded coach stuck in his ways, where's Mick ? 

At best, he's about 6, and I think I'm stretching it at that. 

Just to be clear, I'm not criticising Mick at all, I knew what we were getting, and he has done an excellent job of doing what Mick McCarthy does, especially given the mess he inherited and the short timeframe he had to try sort it out. 

But presenting a few draws against decent teams as a radical leap forward, nah, I don't think so. We've pretty much always been able to do that.  Especially given the context of the end of MON's term being so bad that it was getting to a point where the next appointment couldn't have done any worse, regardless of who that appointment was. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Spouter of Nonsense

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 9:22pm
O'Neill got a bump out of the team after Trap by getting them to play (a little) more football. McCarthy probably is just doing the same thing. The difference is that O'Neill was around long enough for the progress to abruptly end and the terminal regression to set in, Mick won't be.
We're decent enough..
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
www.revolut.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 9:33pm
I'm a Mick fan mostly based off his 1st tenure.   I do think he has changed somewhat and is now more conservative and risk averse. Now that may be down to having one year with the team or it may be down to getting older and less idealistic.  Results have been decent so far but nothing out of the ordinary.
All I want is for EIRE to play the way TE did against the Germans.  They played very well I thought and were attacking and entertaining like us back in the old Lansdowne circa 1998. They lost but they lost fighting and another day with a bit of luck would have won that game.  They are doing things right. Our game plan seems to be to pox draws every time we play anyone half decent and then wait for someone else to slip up allowing us to stumble blindly over the finish line. It's just not cricket.

For all your Bitcoin enquiries contact David Meyler

Crap senior is my full time stalker.
Left foot View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He could have invented football and won every trophy in world football. He was still absolute muck for ireland. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 62>
  Share Topic