Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 104>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

With no time to train with the squad and it's straight into qualifiers, Mick hasn't a hope of changing things around quickly, and it would be the same with whatever top level manager you could hypothetically pick. 

We need 3 good bits of luck
1. a favourable draw
2. early games are not tough 
3. a miracle 

On the whole Kenny succession thing. Why say he's taking over? 
"Stephen Kenny is an outstanding manager and we are very excited to have him as the under 21s manager. We see Stephen as a future Ireland manager."

Behind the scenes you can tell him the plan is to take over in 2020 

Certainly the more rationale approach. Can only assume Kenny didn't trust the FAI and insisted that hE got a contract and that it was made public that he would be replacing McCarthy after Euro 2020
Delaneys backed both horses in a 2 horse race doing it this way. It was to keep all fans reasonably happy, he’ll do anything to curry favour and keep the pressure off 
Sponsored Links

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

With no time to train with the squad and it's straight into qualifiers, Mick hasn't a hope of changing things around quickly, and it would be the same with whatever top level manager you could hypothetically pick. 

We need 3 good bits of luck
1. a favourable draw
2. early games are not tough 
3. a miracle 

On the whole Kenny succession thing. Why say he's taking over? 
"Stephen Kenny is an outstanding manager and we are very excited to have him as the under 21s manager. We see Stephen as a future Ireland manager."

Behind the scenes you can tell him the plan is to take over in 2020 

Certainly the more rationale approach. Can only assume Kenny didn't trust the FAI and insisted that hE got a contract and that it was made public that he would be replacing McCarthy after Euro 2020
Delaneys backed both horses in a 2 horse race doing it this way. It was to keep all fans reasonably happy, he’ll do anything to curry favour and keep the pressure off 
For Delaney it's all about throwing a bone to the League of Ireland constituency after the 5k per club debacle. 

The League of Ireland constituency is also still seething over Kerr being sacked in 2005. 
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

If Mick does get us to Euro 2020 and has a successful tournament i.e. Quarters or Semi's, then he would be mad to want to stay on. Hardly going to top that and he would put himself back in the frame for Premiership Management.

He has 2 cracks of the whip now to qualify as we are all but guaranteeod a play-off. Getting us there should be the least we expect. Getting us out of the group would match MON. Quarters or better and he leaves on the high he should have left on in 2002 had he resigned after the WC, which he alluded to being regretful of not doing, only yesterday.
We are all but guaranteed a playoff Confused have you just woken up after a year or something Jesus the dilusion on here thinking that Mc Carthy is going to turn shoite into gold boggles the mind

I think you are the one only after waking up here tbh. The way the nations league works we will more than likely get a playoff even if we finish bottom of our group 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

If Mick does get us to Euro 2020 and has a successful tournament i.e. Quarters or Semi's, then he would be mad to want to stay on. Hardly going to top that and he would put himself back in the frame for Premiership Management.

He has 2 cracks of the whip now to qualify as we are all but guaranteeod a play-off. Getting us there should be the least we expect. Getting us out of the group would match MON. Quarters or better and he leaves on the high he should have left on in 2002 had he resigned after the WC, which he alluded to being regretful of not doing, only yesterday.
We are all but guaranteed a playoff Confused have you just woken up after a year or something Jesus the dilusion on here thinking that Mc Carthy is going to turn shoite into gold boggles the mind

I think you are the one only after waking up here tbh. The way the nations league works we will more than likely get a playoff even if we finish bottom of our group 
Yep and we could well get out northern brethren in the playoff..
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Hans I don't care if it has been done before  or not. I am in agreement with it. To me it is an excellent idea- we all know Mick is short term. If he does well then of course that is great but I think most will thank him for his service and be happy with Kenny taking over. The succession plan is in place- in writing. We have two years to get used to it- hopefully Kenny has the under 21's playing good football so the transitiion will excite fans.

The above is just complete nonsense.

What are people actually expecting here? How is it a succession plan when Kenny will have minimal/no role in the senior setup and if Kenny takes over in 2 years time their will be no alignment of style from the previous manager most likely.

It makes absolutely no sense from a footballing perspective. It makes perfect sense from John Delaneys perspective. At least you, stickittothe man, are in agreement with it though.

Why didn't we just announce the manager that's going to come in after McCarthy and Kenny as well? Robbie Keane maybe? So McCarthy to 2020. Kenny to 2024 say. Keane then takes over. How could anybody argue with that?

I mean why stop at 2 managers being named at once LOL just because it has never ever been done in football before, naming 3 successive managers years in advance, why wouldn't that be a great idea? Now that's proper succession planning.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 1:37am
Like most new innovations this needs to be given a chance. Best case scenario is McCarthy does brillantly and qualifies us for the Euros and Kenny does a fine job progressing the 21's and it unfolds whatever way,  post summer 2020.
Worst case, it goes tits up for McCarthy and Kenny comes in early. 

A week ago we were heading for another year of Mon/RK. Given how toxic this had become, we're in a better place this week.

Edited by Stoked Up - 27 Nov 2018 at 1:39am
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 1:50am
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

Worst case, it goes tits up for McCarthy and Kenny comes in early

Worst case is it goes a pair of tits up. 
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 8:43am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Hans I don't care if it has been done before  or not. I am in agreement with it. To me it is an excellent idea- we all know Mick is short term. If he does well then of course that is great but I think most will thank him for his service and be happy with Kenny taking over. The succession plan is in place- in writing. We have two years to get used to it- hopefully Kenny has the under 21's playing good football so the transitiion will excite fans.

The above is just complete nonsense.

What are people actually expecting here? How is it a succession plan when Kenny will have minimal/no role in the senior setup and if Kenny takes over in 2 years time their will be no alignment of style from the previous manager most likely.

It makes absolutely no sense from a footballing perspective. It makes perfect sense from John Delaneys perspective. At least you, stickittothe man, are in agreement with it though.

Why didn't we just announce the manager that's going to come in after McCarthy and Kenny as well? Robbie Keane maybe? So McCarthy to 2020. Kenny to 2024 say. Keane then takes over. How could anybody argue with that?

I mean why stop at 2 managers being named at once LOL just because it has never ever been done in football before, naming 3 successive managers years in advance, why wouldn't that be a great idea? Now that's proper succession planning.

It isn't hard to understand. The FAI made a monumental cock up giving MON a new contract when it was absolutely clear that his reign had reached a natural conclusion. We are in complete disarray now. No goals in 4 matches and barely a shot, lads having no idea where they are playing. The national job is a huge job at the best of times but in such a situation to give the job to the Dundalk manager would be madness. He is capable of doing the job in the right circumstances I feel but it would be such a huge jump at the moment. What we need with qualifying coming up in March is a steady man. Someone who has been there and done it. Someone who will get us organised and has a good record in getting the best out of average players. A short term fix as it were. Mick is happy to do that. That suits both parties. We are in a bad place at the minute- Mick will bring stability which we need badly. He isn't the man for tje long term though- Kenny is. He gets experience with the under 21's now then takes over and implements his style on an organised bunch with the step up not as big as now.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 8:01pm
Brady, Duffer and Didi on the new appointments

All three are in favour of Mick getting the nod and interestingly Didi says he has no problem at all with the McCarthy - Kenny plan (but suggests 18 months is a long time in football and it's anyone's guess what the situation will be in two years).
Razors left peg View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Razors left peg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 10:46pm
Isnt Delaney after a job in UEFA in 2020. This is just trying to keep everyone happy until then and he will be off and the succession will be someone elses problem to deal with.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 11:39pm
If we come third and then don't qualify via a play off then people will be happy Mick is leaving. 
That's a more likely scenario than we are going to tear up Europe under Mick and be left in a situation thst he needs to stay on
Il Principe View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 12:21am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

If we come third and then don't qualify via a play off then people will be happy Mick is leaving. 
That's a more likely scenario than we are going to tear up Europe under Mick and be left in a situation thst he needs to stay on

ClapClapClap
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 12:13pm
30 year Euro 88 anniversary in Mansion House tonight. I imagine Mick will be making an appearance
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 1:36pm
I'd have no issue with the whole succession plan idea. We can't continue to be at the mercy of the latest good thing from UK or elsewhere. We need to start planning and developing our own internally. Both players and managers.

Not giving JD any gold stars for this as I believe he had ulterior motives however don't throw baby out with bathwaterHandshake
It's not me it's you:-)
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 9:30pm
Mick meeting Stephen Kenny at Dublin Castle tonight. The body language seemed absolutely fine between them in the clip on RTE News at Nine too

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 6:29pm
Another defeat for Ipswich today, who are bottom, 8 points from safety, and who've only won 1 match in all competitions all season.

This time last season under Mick they were 7th. 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 7:01pm
Good enough for them. League 1 here they come.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 7:31pm
Amy idea what game mick was at this weekend? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 104>
  Share Topic