You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy sacked as Cardiff manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 24>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

All he needs now is to find them!

Well I'll bet my house that Molumby starts in Slovakia. So there's one. 
That still doesn’t mean he is going to be good enough. We have potential, but that’s all it currently is. 

I don’t know why anyone is worried about the playoffs being his first game. We had little chance of qualifying and we still have the same chance. We might even have a new manager bounce.

Because people would like him to have a couple of games first before a do or die one. Hardly rocket science to work that out. 

Dan McDonnell saying the feeling is that the Nations League games will probably be played before the playoffs. Presuming that means the playoffs pushed back to this time next year then

That would suit us (and Stephen) down to the ground.
Sponsored Links

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:17pm
Think all the buzz of these euros have died anyway, I seem to have no appetite for the play offs, looking forward to Bulgaria now.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:30pm
Always liked MM and always will. Glad he got a second crack st the whip. But this is the right decision. Contracts could have been re-negotiated with agreement across the board for him to remain on Until the play offs, at least. 

The tenure was underwhelming, and I can’t actually pick out too many high points. The equalisers against the Danes and Swiss were nice, but still part of our long-standing efforts for draws. We did the minimum against Gibraltar, and almost got minimum return (with anything less probably being a sackable offence). Georgia at home was enjoyable, away was abysmal. We had two chances to qualify and failed to take either one.

We’re in the play offs thanks to the system as opposed to achievement on the pitch, so I don’t think many entitlements could accrue from that, not is it qualification for the play offs inn the normal way
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:33pm
Right call from the FAI.

For those saying Kenny shouldn't be thrown in at the deep end, I personally dont think it really matters if we qualify for Euro 20/21 at this stage.

Great if we do, if not then Kenny has started building his team for the World Cup which takes place just a year later. 

The format, along with Covid-19 has ensured that whenever the next Euros are held, or wherever for that matter, it's going to be overshadowed by a World Cup happening just a year later.
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

That still doesn’t mean he is going to be good enough. We have potential, but that’s all it currently is. 

I don’t know why anyone is worried about the playoffs being his first game. We had little chance of qualifying and we still have the same chance. We might even have a new manager bounce.

Because people would like him to have a couple of games first before a do or die one. Hardly rocket science to work that out. 

Dan McDonnell saying the feeling is that the Nations League games will probably be played before the playoffs. Presuming that means the playoffs pushed back to this time next year then

That would be ideal, nations league would be perfect for him to get his own ideas across and it's a group that we could do well in 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:36pm
I think we have as much chance qualifying with Kenny as we did Mick.

Ireland really need a fresh start and a new approach.

Out with the old and in with the new, whether Kenny is successful or not (dear God let him be successful) we really needed this to happen.
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:38pm
great news, we might qualify now!

Mick is sadly finished at the top level, same as MON was. No shame in it. He was a good servant, but this last 12-18 months has been a bag of sh*t. 
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

great news, we might qualify now!

Mick is sadly finished at the top level, same as MON was. No shame in it. He was a good servant, but this last 12-18 months has been a bag of sh*t. 

When was he at the top level? 
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:45pm
Thanks Mick... some great memories fron your two stints as manager. A gentleman to the end. Left without a fuss
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

Thanks Mick... some great memories fron your two stints as manager. A gentleman to the end. Left without a fuss
This isn’t to knock Mick at all, but what memories is there from the second stint? Did I miss a few games?
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:53pm
I really like Mick but he was an 'avoid relegation from the championship, good league 1' level manager when he was appointed ireland manager for the second time.

He was much needed post o'Neil but overpaid for his ability. If you measure this decision to bring in Kenny now as part of a risk analysis you would see that we probably still have the same odds on qualifying.

Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Right call from the FAI.

For those saying Kenny shouldn't be thrown in at the deep end, I personally dont think it really matters if we qualify for Euro 20/21 at this stage.

Great if we do, if not then Kenny has started building his team for the World Cup which takes place just a year later. 

The format, along with Covid-19 has ensured that whenever the next Euros are held, or wherever for that matter, it's going to be overshadowed by a World Cup happening just a year later.

Have to agree with this. I had written us off getting through last months playoffs given our form and game plan.

Fair play to Mick for not kicking up - hopefully he enjoys his €1.1m payoff.

Decisive and correct decision by the new FAI. Good signs.

Good news for FAI staff - keeping Mick on on a million quid a year would have given the wrong message when their jobs were on the line up to 2 months ago - to the taxpayer also.

I see a long rebuilding phase ahead and great to get that going with immediate effect.
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:23pm
Does Mick not kicking up a fuss not demonstrate he wasn't overly bothered once he got the bag of cash??
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by belt belt wrote:

Does Mick not kicking up a fuss not demonstrate he wasn't overly bothered once he got the bag of cash??

Can't win, can he? 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:32pm

It doesn't mean he's not good enough either, which seems to be your default position on every player. It's Kenny's job to make these calls, and unlike most of our recent managers he will have the bravery to make decisions on players based on their skill rather than their age and how many squads they've been picked for previously (ie less relevant factors which for some reason the likes of Trap and O'Neill were obsessed with).
We're decent enough..
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:34pm
How many jobs will be saved by this decision. All of those who called for mick to stay on should think of that.   This means people will have a job in a years or two years time that wouldnt already have.  

Correct decision from a financial, legal and footballing point of view.  

Thanks mick for your first campaign but nothing was added in the second campaign.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:35pm

Originally posted by belt belt wrote:

Can't win, can he? 
Exactly another typical football manager who only cares about the big bag of cash.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 04 Apr 2020 at 6:35pm
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Think all the buzz of these euros have died anyway, I seem to have no appetite for the play offs, looking forward to Bulgaria now.
2 home games and 1 in Bilbao was there ever any buzz for this Euros? 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 24>
  Share Topic