You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy sacked as Cardiff manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 24>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 4:13pm
Outside of the senior football set up and Delaney himself how many FAI staff were on the kind of money that McCarthy and Robbie were on?

I don't get all this 'it's not McCarthy's fault that's the contract he signed' etc etc 

That was before the financial shambles came to light. The money Mick was/is getting means it's left short elsewhere. McCarthy should in my opinion forfeit his exit bonus or at the very least give a substantial amount of it back. 

The new FAI are broke and contracts were made with the old regime. Neither Mick or Robbie will be struggling for their next mortgage payment and both have done very well out of the FAI as it is.  
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Outside of the senior football set up and Delaney himself how many FAI staff were on the kind of money that McCarthy and Robbie were on?

I don't get all this 'it's not McCarthy's fault that's the contract he signed' etc etc 

That was before the financial shambles came to light. The money Mick was/is getting means it's left short elsewhere. McCarthy should in my opinion forfeit his exit bonus or at the very least give a substantial amount of it back. 

The new FAI are broke and contracts were made with the old regime. Neither Mick or Robbie will be struggling for their next mortgage payment and both have done very well out of the FAI as it is.  

That's grand, I hope you apply the same moral stoicism to your own earnings when the inevitable black hole of recession hits our economy in the coming months. That'd be the real test of some of the faux outrage being spouted here.
We're decent enough..
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 4:33pm
I don't see how that's relevant.  
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 4:38pm

The FAI are broke because of the FAI. Mick will be expecting the money, because that’s what was agreed. We don’t know anything about his own personal finances, regardless of how well he is paid. He could be putting himself in difficulty by refusing it, just to keep a mismanaged business afloat? It is absolutely idiotic to expect him not to take the money.

Edited by pre Madonna - 06 Apr 2020 at 6:00pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 5:06pm

Well that's your first problem. Don't apply moral arguments to others if you can't apply them to yourself.
We're decent enough..
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 5:58pm
anyone claiming that McCarthy is entitled to his pay off , must also think they JD was entitled to his

It's the same behaviour lads

And what I would do or someone else in that situation is irrelevant and not comparable as your talking about completely different salary scales. 

However I would struggle to take 1 million extra for doing f**k all from a sport in this country which I claimed to love

McCarthy has done very well out of us. As has  Mon/Roy and trap
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

anyone claiming that McCarthy is entitled to his pay off , must also think they JD was entitled to his

And what I would do or someone else in that situation is irrelevant and not comparable as your talking about completely different salary scales. 

However I would struggle to take 1 million extra for doing f**k all from a sport in this country which I claimed to love

That's a complete false equivalence and it's laugahble to call it the same behaviour. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 8:24pm
Absolute false equivalency between Mick and JD. Laughable stuff LOL 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

Is that a joke? Someone who at worst acted criminally, and at best recklessly and dishonestly in order to extract money from the association, is comparable to McCarthy? It's Delaney's FAULT that the FAI is in the state it is, that is why he wouldn't deserve a payoff. Mick has no responsibility for what happened, therefore there is no moral reason he should forego the payment due to him.
We're decent enough..
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by Deco Deco wrote:

Would of kept Mick in charge of the seniors and Kenny in charge of the under 21's with both in contention of qualifying, but hey the decision has been made I wish Mick McCarthy the best of luck in what he does in future and fully back Stephen Kenny for the coming months (and hopefully years).

Wins:

Gibraltar
Georgia
Gibraltar
Bulgaria
New Zealand.

The easiest 50% win rate in our history.

When Kenny struggles, the likes of Kilbane will be on the airwaves demanding McCarthy be reinstated again, to complete his "unfinished business".
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Is that a joke? Someone who at worst acted criminally, and at best recklessly and dishonestly in order to extract money from the association, is comparable to McCarthy? It's Delaney's FAULT that the FAI is in the state it is, that is why he wouldn't deserve a payoff. Mick has no responsibility for what happened, therefore there is no moral reason he should forego the payment due to him.

No moral reason, aye, that's a good one alright. Struggling to think of many meself. Oh hold on, healthcare professionals struggling for PPE equipment while a life threatening deadly virus is going on. Half a million people out of work. People earning 'normal' wages facing into a long recession. People dying by the dozen each day.  

But all grand, in those circumstances, for the taxpayer to pick up the tab for Mick, to pay him for a years work he will never do, and was never going to do in the first place. 300k a game, putting him roughly on par (per game) with Klopp and Jose. As another corrupt individual once said to the nation ''We are living beyond our means''.

And to pay off the multi-millionaire Robbie Keane, who according to the last Sunday Times rich list, is worth 43m, making him the 250th wealthiest individual in this country. I'd hold the 249 above him in equal contempt if they were trying to claim money off the government at this time too. 

What people are wilfully ignoring here is this isn't like Liverpool or Spurs, whose owners can well afford to pay their staff and shouldn't be relying on government funds. i think most people accept that, including as of this evening, well, Liverpool. The FAI is broke because of previous actions of an inept CEO, kept there for years by utter gobsh*tes willing to ignore his multitude of failings. That is true too. 

But now a combination of the fans, through consuming products of sponsors, and the taxpayer, are funding the FAI. And lads on here are trying to tell us that because Mick and Robbie have pieces of paper legally entitling them to massive payoffs, that makes it all OK ? Not for me it doesn't anyway. 

I'll ask this, say if this was a sponsorship deal gone wrong, like the Sports Direct/Ashley one, and the lads involved were one of say, the considerably wealthier Denis O'Brien, Larry Goodman or Mick O'Leary, and they were owed a million quid from the FAI. 

Would everyone be absolutely happy they if they took the (effectively government) money at this point in time (that bit is important) because they were legally entitled to it ?? 

''Yeah , well Larry is down to his last 14 billion lads, he's well entitled to it'' 

I wonder alright. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Would of kept Mick in charge of the seniors and Kenny in charge of the under 21's with both in contention of qualifying, but hey the decision has been made I wish Mick McCarthy the best of luck in what he does in future and fully back Stephen Kenny for the coming months (and hopefully years).

Wins:

Gibraltar
Georgia
Gibraltar
Bulgaria
New Zealand.

When Kenny struggles, the likes of Kilbane will be on the airwaves demanding McCarthy be reinstated again, to complete his "unfinished business".

LOL

You're probably right here Planners mo chara. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Wins:

Gibraltar
Georgia
Gibraltar
Bulgaria
New Zealand.

For such a likeable character as a player, hasn't Kilbane turned out to be a pain the arse..
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 11:58pm

Well that's your first problem. Don't apply moral arguments to others if you can't apply them to yourself.

I won't even bother trying to put an argument up to that. It would get lost somewhere. 

Edited by reddladd - 07 Apr 2020 at 12:03am
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 12:29am
All things considered; when McCarthy sees the likes of Joe McGlue being paid handsomely by the taxpayer; a man absolutely complicit in JD’s reign of terror; I’m sure he can self justify it.

Let’s hope this starts a clean out of all crazy employment contracts in the Association.

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 7:11am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

No moral reason, aye, that's a good one alright. Struggling to think of many meself. Oh hold on, healthcare professionals struggling for PPE equipment while a life threatening deadly virus is going on. Half a million people out of work. People earning 'normal' wages facing into a long recession. People dying by the dozen each day.  

But all grand, in those circumstances, for the taxpayer to pick up the tab for Mick, to pay him for a years work he will never do, and was never going to do in the first place. 300k a game, putting him roughly on par (per game) with Klopp and Jose. As another corrupt individual once said to the nation ''We are living beyond our means''.

And to pay off the multi-millionaire Robbie Keane, who according to the last Sunday Times rich list, is worth 43m, making him the 250th wealthiest individual in this country. I'd hold the 249 above him in equal contempt if they were trying to claim money off the government at this time too. 

What people are wilfully ignoring here is this isn't like Liverpool or Spurs, whose owners can well afford to pay their staff and shouldn't be relying on government funds. i think most people accept that, including as of this evening, well, Liverpool. The FAI is broke because of previous actions of an inept CEO, kept there for years by utter gobsh*tes willing to ignore his multitude of failings. That is true too. 

But now a combination of the fans, through consuming products of sponsors, and the taxpayer, are funding the FAI. And lads on here are trying to tell us that because Mick and Robbie have pieces of paper legally entitling them to massive payoffs, that makes it all OK ? Not for me it doesn't anyway. 

I'll ask this, say if this was a sponsorship deal gone wrong, like the Sports Direct/Ashley one, and the lads involved were one of say, the considerably wealthier Denis O'Brien, Larry Goodman or Mick O'Leary, and they were owed a million quid from the FAI. 

Would everyone be absolutely happy they if they took the (effectively government) money at this point in time (that bit is important) because they were legally entitled to it ?? 

''Yeah , well Larry is down to his last 14 billion lads, he's well entitled to it'' 

I wonder alright. 

Saw you mention that in a previous post and, when you break it down like that, it's outrageous. I'd say he could hardly contain himself when he saw the terms of contract being offered to him while he was out of work.

As for Robbie's contract, how someone with no coaching experience manages to bag themselves a well-paid, 4 year contract, is beyond me.

As much as Robbie and Mick are Irish footballing heroes and have represented us proudly, it would take a very special character to turn down the money being offered. This is just a sad reality. 
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 8:10am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

I wonder alright. 

Someone posted Marina Hyde’s article from the weekend on here the other day, in it she made the point how it was bizarre that football players wages and importance are always compared to nurses and the like. No matter how much I dislike the money in the modern game it’s hard not to agree with her. I think to start bringing in government mismanagement into it is a tad unnecessary. It’s an easy argument without much basis in fact, it’s little more than a false equivalence, but it is one that easily wins people over. 

Whatever about Robbie’s personal affairs, he certainly seems to have been well managed in that regard, most of us are, I assume, unaware of Mick’s. I’m not for a second suggesting that he was going to end up down the local hostel or shelter, nor am I advocating huge sympathy for a man who should have made a good living, merely that if he has made mistakes that they shouldn’t be compounded because of John Delaney. He might be reliant on the money to fund a lifestyle or a wife, or to keep Linda Martin quiet and he shouldn’t have to divulge them because of Delaney’s mistakes. 
Sure, it would be a fantastic gesture, but why are people always expected to treat mismanaged football clubs, or in this unusual case, an association, differently to other mismanaged businesses? There’s strong arguments, on both sides, as to whether tax money should be propping it up anyway.

And if it was some tax dodger like O’Brien, or any of the other crooks mentioned, it would barely be news and they wouldn’t receive much scrutiny over it. It would fall into the ‘dog bites man’ category, but because Mick has been a good, and now well payed, servant to Irish football he is supposed to act against his own better interest just to show how much he cares. 
I think it is perfectly reasonable for him to take the money and to express interest in Irish football. I can’t think of anybody else that would do it, but he seems to have been hoisted on a pedestal for being a decent fella.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 8:21am
Robbie never struck me as a fella who understood how luck it is. I don’t like bandying the footballer stereotype about, I think it is often grossly unfair, but he seems very much in that mould. I wouldn’t say self-awareness is high on his list of qualities.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 24>
  Share Topic