You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy sacked as Cardiff manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 24>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Looks like he is off to Apoel Nicosia

Qn. "But can he do it on a wet Wednesday in Larnaca?"

Ans. "They don't have wet Wednesdays in Larnaca. Or any other days."

Mick: "Ah right, so moulded soles it is then, lads"

Sponsored Links

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 12:43pm
Be very interested to see how he gets on , has he ever managed outside of the UK and Ireland ?
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Be very interested to see how he gets on , has he ever managed outside of the UK and Ireland ?

No, but I'm sure his extensive experience of playing on the Continent will stand him in good stead:

Actually on second thoughts...LOL
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 2:02pm
What sort of money will he be on there? My guess maybe 10% of what he cleared from the FAI.  How come no premier league clubs in for him? 
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by exgrad exgrad wrote:

What sort of money will he be on there? My guess maybe 10% of what he cleared from the FAI.  How come no premier league clubs in for him? 
Because no premier league club has sacked their manager?
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 2:24pm
since March?? Wow that's a turnaround.  What about championship.  How come Mick cant get a gig there? Surely they pay as much as Cypriot league? Will he still shadow kenny on sky sports or does he not need that now? He was very grateful to charlton for not doing similar to him but sure guess that was then and this is now. 
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 2:45pm

Great banter!
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 3:25pm
money would be good in Cyprus a lot of Russian owners.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 6:32pm

since March?? Wow that's a turnaround.  What about championship.  How come Mick cant get a gig there? Surely they pay as much as Cypriot league? Will he still shadow kenny on sky sports or does he not need that now? He was very grateful to charlton for not doing similar to him but sure guess that was then and this is now. 

Jack Charlton did analysis on British TV during McCarthy's first campaign. Wasn't a big deal back then because there was no social media for people to whinge about nothing in the 90s.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 7:27pm
Brian Kerr had had a newspaper column, worked as a studio analyst and a co-commentator on radio since leaving the Ireland job. Nobody complained about him
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Brian Kerr had had a newspaper column, worked as a studio analyst and a co-commentator on radio since leaving the Ireland job. Nobody complained about him

Immediately after leaving the job, he was co commentator for ireland matches straight away? I dont remember that, maybe the column  not sure.  He was v v bitter after he lost the gig, i do remember that all right, couldnt hide it as well as Mick can perhaps.
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Jack Charlton did analysis on British TV during McCarthy's first campaign. Wasn't a big deal back then because there was no social media for people to whinge about nothing in the 90s.

Did he? I can't remember that. Funnily enough Mick can't either:

Jack said: “Take the job. You’ll love it, it’ll be good for you, and don’t worry about the money because you’ll make it up.” It was his words of encouragement that meant I did, even though I thought only four years at Millwall wasn’t enough experience. “You take it. You’ll be good.” Getting his support and his backing was important. He also said he wouldn’t ever speak about the job while I was in it and he didn’t. He only ever supported me.

Rodneytrotter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodneytrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 8:07pm
I would love tv analysis by Stan and Trap together 
Probably make a good Apres sketch 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 9:11pm

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Immediately after leaving the job, he was co commentator for ireland matches straight away? I dont remember that, maybe the column  not sure.  He was v v bitter after he lost the gig, i do remember that all right, couldnt hide it as well as Mick can perhaps.

Kerr was analyst on TV3 for Stan's campaign. Can remember him slaughtering the performance but somehow forgetting that we'd been practically as bad the previous year but somehow poxed a one nil win.

No one was bothered about it. Find it bizarre it's an issue now. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 9:14pm

Jack said: “Take the job. You’ll love it, it’ll be good for you, and don’t worry about the money because you’ll make it up.” It was his words of encouragement that meant I did, even though I thought only four years at Millwall wasn’t enough experience. “You take it. You’ll be good.” Getting his support and his backing was important. He also said he wouldn’t ever speak about the job while I was in it and he didn’t. He only ever supported me.

I don't think that meant he wasn't doing co-commentary on a game. There weren't many Irish games live on UK TV back then but channel 5 showed the Belgium play off and Jack did that. Again, no big deal. 
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 9:15pm

I don't think that meant he wasn't doing co-commentary on a game. There weren't many Irish games live on UK TV back then but channel 5 showed the Belgium play off and Jack did that. Again, no big deal. 

A long time ago, but that's how I remember it.
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 9:47pm

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well it was a big deal to mick that charlton didnt cast a shadow over him, he seems to have forgotten charltons (one off?) appearance on C5, it was 20 plus years ago i guess.  More surprising he should forget his own opions on how a former ireland manager should act, from a few months back. As i said, at least Kerrs bitterness was obvious.  

Anyway, aside from all that biggest issue really was was how sh*t Micks comemtary was.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 11:59am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Looks like he is off to Apoel Nicosia

Confirmed Mick has got the job.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 24>
  Share Topic