You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy appointed as Cardiff manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 18192021>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

McCarthy's managing a team in contention for promotion to the Premier League next season, whilst Kenny would likely struggle to get so much as an interview with an EFL club at any level. That's the brutal truth of the situation.

Realistically, the yawning chasm in quality is such that no manager simply based on his LoI achievements, however significant, is automatically qualified for the National team job, unfortunately for us. 

In appointing Kenny we've downgraded in a big way. But with our association's lack of financial clout nowadays this is something we'll have to get used to.

Jim Goodwin is doing a good job at St Mirren, and has spoken about his ambitions of managing Ireland, but aside from him, McCarthy and Hughton, there is a shocking lack of Irishmen managing at a decent level - which is generally the case.

I've always wondered why that is. Irish lads with leadership skills and high level experience like John O'Shea, Robbie Keane and Shay Given tend to go into coaching roles whereas there's always an abundance of Scottish and Welsh former players, say, managing at a strong level.

Whenever there's a vacancy for the Scotland job there's always a good few young Scots linked with the role. Beyond the usual three or four, whenever the Ireland job is available we have to look to people like Sam Allardyce or Tony Pulis.
Dan Mcdonnell had a good piece in the indo about young lad at United who certainly looks promising. Long term Brenden Rodgers if when his club career is finished? 
Be interesting to see how Stephen O Donnell develops but you are right it is disappointing 
Obviously Duff will hopefully develop further 
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 9:52pm
If the job came up tomorrow Goodwin would probably be the obvious candidate in terms of what the FAI could afford to pay. Realistically the earliest the job will be available is the end of this campaign so there could be others by then, who knows.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 2:26am

McCarthy's managing a team in contention for promotion to the Premier League next season, whilst Kenny would likely struggle to get so much as an interview with an EFL club at any level. That's the brutal truth of the situation.

Realistically, the yawning chasm in quality is such that no manager simply based on his LoI achievements, however significant, is automatically qualified for the National team job, unfortunately for us. 

In appointing Kenny we've downgraded in a big way. But with our association's lack of financial clout nowadays this is something we'll have to get used to.

Jim Goodwin is doing a good job at St Mirren, and has spoken about his ambitions of managing Ireland, but aside from him, McCarthy and Hughton, there is a shocking lack of Irishmen managing at a decent level - which is generally the case.

I've always wondered why that is. Irish lads with leadership skills and high level experience like John O'Shea, Robbie Keane and Shay Given tend to go into coaching roles whereas there's always an abundance of Scottish and Welsh former players, say, managing at a strong level.

Whenever there's a vacancy for the Scotland job there's always a good few young Scots linked with the role. Beyond the usual three or four, whenever the Ireland job is available we have to look to people like Sam Allardyce or Tony Pulis.

Couldn't disagree with any of that. There's obviously a deficit there, for whatever reason.

Allardyce and Pulis would little doubt improve us, however.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 9:09am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

If the job came up tomorrow Goodwin would probably be the obvious candidate in terms of what the FAI could afford to pay. Realistically the earliest the job will be available is the end of this campaign so there could be others by then, who knows.

Goodwin has very little managerial experience. He's nowhere near ready to make the step up to international level. Let's see where he is in 5 years time minimum 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 9:24am

Couldn't disagree with any of that. There's obviously a deficit there, for whatever reason.

Allardyce and Pulis would little doubt improve us, however.
To improve us over the last 8 games would not be too hard now would it .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 10:19am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Goodwin has very little managerial experience. He's nowhere near ready to make the step up to international level. Let's see where he is in 5 years time minimum 
The state of our team at the moment I'd say the calibre of players he's dealing with at St Mirren is probably superiorLOL
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 11:08am
the ultimate nightmare for some of the most vocal of the Mick knockers he’s favourite for the Celtic Job!
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 11:38am

You say it as if we're in a position to headhunt top level managers.

The reality is the complete opposite, someone like Goodwin, on his current trajectory, would be well out of our reach in five years time. People need to wake up with regard to what market we're shopping in when it comes to managers. If the job was going tomorrow he'd easily be one of the favourites.

Our current manager has only managed for one year in a fully professional league in his whole career, it was well over a decade ago, he finished last in the division and was sacked.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 12:32pm

You say it as if we're in a position to headhunt top level managers.

The reality is the complete opposite, someone like Goodwin, on his current trajectory, would be well out of our reach in five years time. People need to wake up with regard to what market we're shopping in when it comes to managers. If the job was going tomorrow he'd easily be one of the favourites.

Our current manager has only managed for one year in a fully professional league in his whole career, it was well over a decade ago, he finished last in the division and was sacked.

If Goodwin was appointed and lost his first few games, you'd be one of the 1st  on here calling for his head, citing a lack of experience. It makes zero sense to jettison Kenny and replace him with someone less experienced, less proven and who has managed at a lower level. Hopefully Goodwin will go on to have a great coaching career but he's only at the beginning of that journey. 

"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 6:36pm
Mick signed new 2 year contract with Cardiff today. 
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

There were Celtic rumours so obviously wanted to head that off. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 8:21pm

Lose next match. Banker!
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 4:02pm

Back a Cardiff loss at the weekend so 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Lose next match. Banker!

Ohhh you beat me to it Sleepy
It would damage this forums' reputation
MacMathuna View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacMathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 4:26pm
playing richard keoghs huddersfield who have won one in 10... 
So ya definetly lose that one after signing contract ha
Sinne Fianna Fáil atá fé gheall ag Éirinn.
aviva8 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 7:00pm
Big mick will sign shane duffy in the summer.

Edited by aviva8 - 05 Mar 2021 at 7:01pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 8:05pm
"Tonight is his 1000th game as a manager, he joins a pretty select club in reaching the milestone.

Sam Allardyce, Carlo Ancelotti, Roy Hodgson, Neil Warnock and now you can add McCarthy to the list of managers currently batting at over 1000 not out.

McCarthy himself didn't know tonight was the night, but he forgot about the Anglo-Italian Cup games he managed Millwall in during the early 90s."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/56158746

King_Kenny View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

"Tonight is his 1000th game as a manager, he joins a pretty select club in reaching the milestone.

Sam Allardyce, Carlo Ancelotti, Roy Hodgson, Neil Warnock and now you can add McCarthy to the list of managers currently batting at over 1000 not out.

McCarthy himself didn't know tonight was the night, but he forgot about the Anglo-Italian Cup games he managed Millwall in during the early 90s."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/56158746

Ancelotti will be happy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 18192021>
  Share Topic